Apple SVP of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield to retire

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    melgross wrote: »
    People come and go.

applegreen wrote: »

What a ridiculous thing to say!  How is this proof that Apple is faltering?  The guy wants to retire.  Could be any number of personal reasons.  Did Apple falter when Serlet left?  Federighi took over just fine.  Or, how about Ron Johnson?  Apple has a deep bench of capable engineers and managers.

It's irritating when people post without thinking.

You two are reading things into my comment that I didn't imply. I never said Apple was faltering. i never stated it was proof. His reason for leaving has no barring on how his absence will affect Apple.

People do come and go but there are some employees that I think are so key to Apple's previous and continued success that I think they will be hard pressed to replace.I think Ive, Mansfield and Cook are three of them. I actually don't put Jobs in that list, not because there are any just like him, but because Steve built and designed, rebuilt and redesigned Apple so well that his vision will be carried out for a long time to come because it's the only path worth taking.

Mansfield has been leading Mac HW for 7 years. In that time under his direction Macs have not only become substantially better machines (I don't just mean faster) but the rest of the industry has followed Mac design closer than ever before. I hope that Ricco can not only match his execution but surpass him in every way.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Great job.  Enjoy your retirement.  You deserve it.

• Reply 23 of 80
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

........a lot of thought?  Puh..leese..!!

During the last 4 years that "more" Apple big-wigs have left, do you know how many have been hired that are capable enough to become big-wigs?  Serlet left.  Federighi is now a big-wig.  Ron Johnson left.  Browett is a big-wig.  A certain amount of turnover in manpower is normal.  No need to ring the alarm bells !!

And, during the last 4 years that all your big-wigs have left, the stock has quadrupled.  Certainly, the rate of appreciation will slow.  But, it ain't the end of the world.  THINK !!

I may drink the same Apple Kool-Aide as you, my friend, but, unlike you, my eyes are wide open as I'm swallowing, being a relatively large shareholder.

I'm not saying Apple is doomed, I'm saying that I agree with Soli in that this is a pretty young age for a VP to retire from a company that is firing on all eight.....and by all signs, will probably be for quite a few years to come.

• Reply 24 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Of all things that people have claimed over the years as proof that Apple will falter I think this is the closest thing we've seen to it.

That and Bertrand Serlet. I suppose it's just transition time overall, though.
    People come and go.

The real challenge is to see if a second Dream Team can be assembled afterward.
    …Apple… …has started to plateau?

Not sure that's what "get bigger" means. :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 80
    I've been wondering why he's been selling most all his stock during the past year. Now I know.
    I also wonder why he would retire at such a young age, and when Apple is becoming a vast company.

Are you kidding? I know lots of people who would love to retire early and sit on a beach somewhere...
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Are you kidding? I know lots of people who would love to retire early and sit on a beach somewhere…

I'd go crazy. If I'm not utilizing my talents I feel completely worthless.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    I'd go crazy. If I'm not utilizing my talents I feel completely worthless.

I retired once and then traveled extensively. After several years it became dull. Then I started spending my days loitering on internet forums. I've since taken jobs in a variety of professions simply to try them out but I've been missing my former career to the point that I've invested thousands in training equipment so I can get back into it.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Shame to see Mansfield leaving, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Ummm, here in the States, most schools and police are funded through property taxes on a town or county level, along with the street sweepers. Trash haulers are usually private. Don't get me started on the Medicaid, Social Security and low income debate because I believe hardly any capital gains tax is used for those programs.

Sorry for being off topic but fundamentally I have a problem with this viewpoint. Bob Mansfield's success should not be utilized for the funding of these programs....for the benefit of others.

It's a simple and logical thought: You have more money, you pay more taxes. 

• Reply 29 of 80
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You two are reading things into my comment that I didn't imply. I never said Apple was faltering. i never stated it was proof. His reason for leaving has no barring on how his absence will affect Apple.

People do come and go but there are some employees that I think are so key to Apple's previous and continued success that I think they will be hard pressed to replace.I think Ive, Mansfield and Cook are three of them. I actually don't put Jobs in that list, not because there are any just like him, but because Steve built and designed, rebuilt and redesigned Apple so well that his vision will be carried out for a long time to come because it's the only path worth taking.

Mansfield has been leading Mac HW for 7 years. In that time under his direction Macs have not only become substantially better machines (I don't just mean faster) but the rest of the industry has followed Mac design closer than ever before. I hope that Ricco can not only match his execution but surpass him in every way.

OK.  But, you still seem to imply that Apple does not have anybody that can do as good a job with Mac hardware going forward as Bob has done during the last 7 years.  I disagree.  One of the most important functions of top management (including the Board of Directors) is to make sure that the bench is deep enough in every function of the company.  I am sure Cook has plans in place as to who would replace each of the senior managers if the need should arise.  And, just as Ive, Mansfield, and Cook are key, so are Forstall, Federighi, and Schiller.  Software is just as important as hardware, if not more so.  Schiller is a genius at strategy.

You say that you would not put Jobs on the list of key employees because his vision will be carried out for a long time.  Well, he is no longer with us.  The genius of Steve was that he could re-imagine entire industries.  If Cook & Co. can demonstrate that they can do the same with industries that Apple is not a big part of yet (TV, digital cameras, education,...), then perhaps you can say that Apple can go on just as well without Steve.  Not yet, though.

• Reply 30 of 80
    OK.  But, you still seem to imply that Apple does not have anybody that can do as good a job with Mac hardware going forward as Bob has done during the last 7 years.  I disagree.

I clearly stated that I hope Ricco can not only do as well as but surpass Mansfield. I just think Mansfield did great things with the Mac under his reign. How much of that was actually his direction is impossible to say but I do know that since he was controlling the division it has been fantastic, hence my mild trepidation in seeing him go.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Of all things that people have claimed over the years as proof that Apple will falter I think this is the closest thing we've seen to it.

Jesus Christ I am agreeing with solex better go out and see if the globe's still spinning...
  • Reply 32 of 80
    so are Forstall, Federighi, and Schiller.  Software is just as important as hardware, if not more so.  Schiller is a genius at strategy.

Federighi? Yeah sure, boy did this guy do a great job for lion, that's why they are run rushing the service pack now.., Not one addition well implemented and polished, countless poor or very questionable choices, and the buggiest os since .1 and .2 The guy could lay down in one of Serlet's shoes and he 'd still wouldn't fill a quarter of it.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    …lion, that's why they are run rushing the service pack now…

Shut up.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Blah blah blah....now sod off
  • Reply 35 of 80
    modena360 wrote: »
    Blah blah blah….now sod off

He made possible the hardware you're currently using. I'd show some respect.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Shut up.

I must have hit a nerve, don't shoot the messenger though, ml is a service pack, hence its unexpected out of the blue release to put lion behind them, and quickly, but don't take my word for it, read what the others from the non stock holding apple community are saying, they are not all professional suck ups like Grubber you know.

Some of us form an opinion by actually using the system and making an honest assessment of it. Every other thread in a lot of apple forums is asking is ml as quick as snow leopard, or is it like lion? Did they fix this, did they fix that? You don't hear that about ios now do you? One one hand it's did they add x,y,z and on the other it's did they fix x,y,z.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Interesting that he'd retire when he was awarded all those restricted stock grants. Had he stayed 3 more years probably would have pocketed $100M+
  • Reply 38 of 80
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    He made possible the hardware you're currently using. I'd show some respect.

I think he talking to me :). And I wish huddler could show a smilie for a change.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    [quote name="myapplelove" url="/t/150991/apple-svp-of-hardware-engineering-bob-mansfield-to-retire#post_2136583"]I must have hit a nerve, don't shoot the messenger though, ml is a service pack, hence its unexpected out of the blue release to put lion behind them…[/QUOTE]

Other than the fact that this couldn't be further from the truth, you're absolutely right.

[QUOTE]…but don't take my word for it… [/QUOTE]

Oh, don't worry about that.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I must have hit a nerve, don't shoot the messenger though, ml is a service pack, hence its unexpected out of the blue release to put lion behind them, and quickly, but don't take my word for it, read what the others from the non stock holding apple community are saying, they are not all professional suck ups like Grubber you know.

What are you talking about? How many service packs have over 200 new features? Including major changes like Voice Dictation, deeper iCloud sync, Notification Centre, new Safari and Facebook/Twitter integration?