'Google Now' personal assistant represents search giant's answer to Siri

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's awesome! I wish Siri learned from its users more.

I also wish Apple would include a specially devised paragraph that each user can read so Siri can build a phoneme database to better understand user's specific speech patterns. On top of of that I'd like Apple to include the cVard sound file option into Contacts so you can train Siri on how to pronounce specific names properly.

Yes. Go beyond the search bubble... Google Now is a LIFE BUBBLE.

• Reply 22 of 128
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I just tried this on my brothers galaxy nexus and siri looks lame now. I mean wow google. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsOtdRtG0Q&feature=plcp

Hey why did that guy in the review call it "totally new technology" for Google?

According to a whole lot of trolls, Android has had this for years.

• Reply 23 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When did "they did a few examples in a demo" become equivalent to having a finished project?

It's not vaporware? Then where can I get the finished product?

You'd think people would have learned after 30 years of personal computer experience that a public demo is staged and scripted. Real life isn't so clean or simple.

Give me a break. It is no different than Apple has done for years of keynotes. Available same day for developers and available to the general public in 2 weeks. 

Your predudice is remarkable even for a rabid Apple fan. It works as advertised according to those who have installed it. I have not installed it since I don't have an Android phone but given the 'demos' of Apple's glorious new maps solution I may have the need to try JB out very soon as what I've seen so far of Apple's vaporware looks very discouraging.

• Reply 24 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I just tried this on my brothers galaxy nexus and siri looks lame now. I mean wow google. 

Still driving that Pontiac Aztek?

• Reply 25 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Not only will the data used surprise you, but the personal data saved, harvested and sold to the highest bidder...

You mean like Siri records and stores each of your searches and requests for some unspecified time-frame? Siri is at it's roots a search engine. Like most other search engines it harvests data from both your device and personal search requests to "offer an improved user experience". Google Now is not any different probably

• Reply 26 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPhone's had "voice commands" way before Siri.

So why do you think Google is wasting their time on something like this, seeing as how according to Fandroids they've already had it for years?

PS How do I get it on my Galaxy Nexus, I thought Jellybean wasn't coming until July?

It's faster and more robust now. I can search for movie times, sports stats, algebra questions etc etc. Yes we've had it for years, but now it's even better.

There are at least 4 builds of Jelly Bean available on XDA. I've had mine since day 1.

• Reply 27 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I've now watched two videos on Google's new service, with one being a comparison. While it's possible to make Siri slower so the Now wins every round I don't have any reason to suspect that there was any foul play.

I also like how Now will show you web results on the front page instead of having you hit web search or say 'yes' and then wait for Safari to load. I have to say that I'm quite impressed with Google's effort here. If anyone was going to challenge Apple on this front it was going to be Google but I didn't think it would be so soon.
  • Reply 28 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Not only will the data used surprise you, but the personal data saved, harvested and sold to the highest bidder, as well as the short battery life.

You can avoid Google altogether if you wish.

• Reply 29 of 128
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Knockoff? Google has had voice commands ages before Siri.

Updating it this just makes it even better. When I woke up this morning there was a card on my screen with the amount of traffic I would run into on my way to work.

It's really useful and you don't even have to think about. The data is just there.

Just remember, with Google you are the product!  I wouldn't want Googs knowing that that was important to me. Sure, every little piece of the picture might be innocuous but as a whole...

If you trust Google with your information, then good luck!

Oh, and I was using voice commands on my Mac many years ago but this is not what Siri is about! (You know that though - right?)

• Reply 30 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If anyone was going to challenge Apple on this front it was going to be Google but I didn't think it would be so soon.

I've found Google to understand my voice better than any other voice recognition platform out there and there could be a slight accent issue as well in both of my languages.

• Reply 31 of 128

Quote:

It's faster and more robust now. I can search for movie times, sports stats, algebra questions etc etc. Yes we've had it for years, but now it's even better.

There are at least 4 builds of Jelly Bean available on XDA. I've had mine since day 1.

So I have to root my phone.

Hey did you know, here in Australia, 'root' is slang for f u c k.

• Reply 32 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mstone wrote: »
    You can avoid Google altogether if you wish.

Just don't use the Internet at all! Simple!
  • Reply 33 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So where are the people saying that Google is artificially limiting Google Now from running on phones with older versions of Android OS and arguing that there are no resources needed to run the service.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Is "Maroon Mushroom" the mycological version of "Astroturf?"

Sure sounds like it.

Your post sound like it was cut and pasted from a Google keynote transcript!

"Yes, we've had it for years, but now it's even better!"

LOL

• Reply 35 of 128
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Quote:

Knockoff? Google has had voice commands ages before Siri.

Updating it this just makes it even better. When I woke up this morning there was a card on my screen with the amount of traffic I would run into on my way to work.

It's really useful and you don't even have to think about. The data is just there.

Hahahha.... another Googledrone is trying to tell us that Google invented Siri before Apple made it popular.

Seriously, you're delusional or you're just a TROLL.

• Reply 36 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The service can even predict how long it will take for a user to get to their next appointment and send a notification when it's time to leave.

So it's not just AI... it's psychic? It knows if I plan to walk, cycle or drive, or if I have any plans to stop on the way or if I want to arrive early?

• Reply 37 of 128

I love apple as much as the next person, but as a lover of technology. Goole now makes siri look like a joke. I hope Apple comes out improves siri to make it as functional as Google now. 

• Reply 38 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    quintius wrote: »
    So it's not just AI... it's psychic? It knows if I plan to walk, cycle or drive, or if I have any plans to stop on the way or if I want to arrive early?

It knows once you start moving. GPS and all.

Yes, I imagine it IS tracking your movements.
  • Reply 39 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When did "they did a few examples in a demo" become equivalent to having a finished project?

It's not vaporware? Then where can I get the finished product?

You'd think people would have learned after 30 years of personal computer experience that a public demo is staged and scripted. Real life isn't so clean or simple.

so Microsoft staged and scripted Surface crashing in their live demo? who'd a thunk it!

• Reply 40 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintius View Post

I wonder if it will tell you where to eat, on the way.

"You have 15 minutes until the bus comes, just long enough to grab a burger at <insert paid advertisement here>."