Apple wins injunction against Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 379
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

"Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products," Judge Koh said in Friday's ruling.

Who is still buying the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? I can see "lose substantial market share" if this was a PI against the S3 that is currently selling millions, but the Galaxy Nexus???

• Reply 122 of 379
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    tbell wrote: »

however, you are wrong about the look and feel not resembling Apple. I was in a  Best Buy Store the other day and I saw at least three people walk by the Samsung display and think the phone was an iPhone. Samsung is coping Apple heavily.

Galaxy Nexus is nothing like iPhone 4s. You should take Samsung out of this case. They are in no way at fault, if there is any.

Disappointed iPhone 4s, I settled with Galaxy Nexus. Perfect phone really. All my iPhone friends examine my beauty with amused look every time they get hand on it. I think ICS already killed IOS. JB (jelly bean) with Sammy would certainly proof-kill next iPhone, IMO.

Apple knows that, so this. (Can not compete? Litigate) nothing else really
  • Reply 123 of 379
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

The patent system is hopelessly broken.  All these lawsuits need to stop.  They make the filers look like bullies that rather litigate than innovate. 

• Reply 124 of 379
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151011/apple-wins-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus-smartphone#post_2137413"]Boom!

AAPL rose nicely today. It'd be nice to see that continue come monday.

Just face it Fandroids, your phones and tablets in their present form would never even exist, if it weren't for Apple in the first place.
    Google rose just as nicely. So did most other tech stocks.
  • Reply 125 of 379
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who would have thought 10-15 years ago that Apple's biggest competitor would end up being Samsung? I certainly never did.
  • Reply 126 of 379
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who would have thought 10-15 years ago that Apple's biggest competitor would end up being Samsung? I certainly never did.

Considering Apple was nearly bankrupt 15 years ago, probably no one :)

• Reply 127 of 379
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Considering Apple was nearly bankrupt 15 years ago, probably no one :)

Myth - it's because of Apple's cash position over time that it survived. (Billions back then aren't what billions today are.)

• Reply 128 of 379
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hjb wrote: »
    Galaxy Nexus is nothing like iPhone 4s. You should take Samsung out of this case. They are in no way at fault, if there is any.

Since this particular injunction has nothing to do with appearance, that has no bearing on the matter.

It's about patent violations.
    hjb wrote: »
    Disappointed iPhone 4s, I settled with Galaxy Nexus. Perfect phone really. All my iPhone friends examine my beauty with amused look every time they get hand on it. I think ICS already killed IOS. JB (jelly bean) with Sammy would certainly proof-kill next iPhone, IMO.

ROTFLMAO. Can you say 'delusional'? A lot of courts are out there saying that you're wrong.
  • Reply 129 of 379
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Since this particular injunction has nothing to do with appearance, that has no bearing on the matter.
    ROTFLMAO. Can you say 'delusional'? A lot of courts are out there saying that you're wrong.

Not only that, virtually all the evidence suggests that Apple iOS is superior to Google Android is every way:

* Apple iPhone has the highest customer retention rate. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html

* Apple iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/iphone-customer-satisfaction-jd-power-associates_n_1354393.html

* Apple has the best smartphone reliability http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10

* Apple iPhone offers much less expensive prices for apps than Android. http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-Apps-Are-Cheaper-than-Android-Report-321632/

Apple has the market leading ecosystem with:

* 28 million (mostly) DRM-free songs worldwide (many encoded as 256 kbit/s AAC)
    * 1,000,000+ podcasts (USA)
    * 40,000+ music videos (USA)
    * 3,000+ TV shows (USA)
    * 20,000+ audiobooks (USA)
    * 2,500+ movies (USA)
    * 725,700 App Store Apps with more than 25 billion downloads
    * Apple has more than 70% of the digital music downloads

* Apple iTunes provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, and TV shows between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows
    * Apple iCloud provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, TV shows in the cloud
    * Apple iTunes AirPlay provides wireless media playback between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows

* Apple iTunes in the Cloud provides free, unlimited perpetual storage and access on-demand to the entire catalog of purchased movies, music and TV shows

* Apple iCloud provides free mail, calendars and contacts
    * Apple iCloud provides 5 GB free storage which enables bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists and web browser reading lists and tabs synchronization across devices and platforms
    * Apple Photo Stream provides up to one month storage of up to 1,000 digital photographs with synchronization across devices
    * Apple iCloud "Back to my Mac" service automatically configures ad hoc, on-demand, point-to-point encrypted connections between computers using IPSec.

* Apple iCloud "Find my iPhone" allows users to track the location of their iOS device, or Mac with the ability to see the device's approximate location on a map (along with a circle showing the radius depicting the margin of error), display a message or play a sound on the device (even if it is set to silent), change the password on the device, and remotely erase its contents
    * Apple iCloud allows users the option to back up iOS devices online and restore from online backup without connecting to a computer

* Apple provides consumer content creation and editing apps for apps, textbooks, movies (and TV shows), music and digital photography
  • Reply 130 of 379
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then you argue the merits of their claims, not the number of claims themselves.

PS: Would you not consider a Moto lawsuit part of Google at this point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

If they have haven't sued anyone why are Google and Motorola being investigated by the FTC for absuing their FRAND patents?

Could it be because of the lawsuit Motorola filed in January? (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/25/us-motorola-apple-idUSTRE80O29G20120125). From the time of the announcement, all major decisions at Motorola were approved but Google. Did Google come along and withdraw the suit? Or is it now evil to direct a subsidiary to do something. If Apple moved all their patents to a subsidiary company and had that company sue, would you think it was OK?

This was just one example of Google suing a competitor. It took me 5 seconds to find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But using FRAND patents illegally isn't suing. The Moto lwsuit I'd say falls under Google squarely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

What about Google "assigning" patents to HTC so HTC could sue Apple? Or is suing by proxy not the same thing as suing directly?

And what about Google officially backing up Motorola long before their acquisition was finalized (you know, where Google stood behind Moto's universally criticized 2.25% royalty demands).

You guys can dance around all you want imagining that Google has been some big litigator. Instead it's more of the "we against the world" attitude carried over from back in the day when Apple really was "we against the world". Google hasn't sued Apple. Google hasn't sued Microsoft.

Simply find a case where Google has initiated an IP lawsuit against a competitor. Any competitor will do. There's gotta be several of those over their 15 years of existence considering the attacks they get from all sides. Surely they've at least turned around and filed their own counter-suit IP claims in defense.  Even forget an whether IP is involved. Find any lawsuit they've filed against a competitor, just one, and I'll happily acknowledge that I'm wrong.

Buying a company with active litigation going on is not Google suing a competitor.

Selling patents to HTC that are used for HTC defense is not Google suing a competitor.

Announcing they wish to purchase some company who has on-going issues with a competitor is not Google suing a competitor.

Wait until they actually put their name to a lawsuit against Apple, or Microsoft or Oracle or whoever. Then everyone can have a go on how it's proof of how evil Google is, attacking it's rivals in court rather than the marketplace. It will probably happen eventually. I'm shocked Google hasn't done so already with the Microsoft/Apple gang-bang going on. So far not one forum member can find an actual case where they have. Think there might be a reason for that?

• Reply 131 of 379
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    jragosta wrote: »

Lol. Maybe you are not living in real world.

A lot of courts what? Please provide me with links. (sorry, you tend to say something as facts but you do not back your claims with any plausible links)
  • Reply 132 of 379
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Lol. Maybe you are not living in real world.

A lot of courts what? Please provide me with links. (sorry, you tend to say something as facts but you do not back your claims with any plausible links)

Ask him for a car analogy, he likes those :)

• Reply 133 of 379
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Great news!  Hopefully Google/Samesung stops copying everything Apple does and come up with something original for once.  If it was not for iOS, Android would look just like the dead Blackberry OS and phones.

• Reply 134 of 379
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

This sucks.

Read the patent in question - it's trivial...

It should be easy to make a work around.

Samsung would be off the hook.

• Reply 135 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

"Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products," Judge Koh said in Friday's ruling.

Who is still buying the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? I can see "lose substantial market share" if this was a PI against the S3 that is currently selling millions, but the Galaxy Nexus???

Isn't that the one Google was showing their Jellybean on, the one that get's jellybean in a couple of weeks, the one that has been reduced to $350 in anticipation of new demand?

Nexus this week, Galaxy S III next.

• Reply 136 of 379

Quote:

So JellyBean with butter will finally stop the inherent Android lag, wasn't it Ice Cream Sandwich that was going to do that?

Wasn't Gingerbread the answer to the lag or was that eclair?

If your Nexus is so great with ICS why was Google touting another solution for the inherent lag present in Android, "Trust us, this time it's going to work".

PS I own a Galaxy Nexus it's ok as a toy to mess with, for real work I use my iPhone 4.

• Reply 137 of 379

Quote:

so true. if there were no android phones you wouldn't have any larger screens, freedom, and for sure apple would have no reason to really improve. thats what got them in trouble long ago. they just kept putting out sh*t, tacking on more and more bloat onto the original mac os. 

apple just sees that they are going to have to spend a lot of money and put major effort into keeping the iphone and ios alive and they dont like that. so they litigate. there are no stupid 'home' buttons on the galaxy nexus, it has a much larger screen and Android 4 is clearly not ios other than you use your fingers to manipulate it. it looks better than the iphone and i am glad i have mine and even if apple succeeded in eliminating android (which ain't going to happen) i still would not get an iphone. 

i can't believe the number of people on here taking a 'microsoft phone is okay, but android needs to go'. just shows how idiotic they are.

• Reply 138 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So JellyBean with butter will finally stop the inherent Android lag, wasn't it Ice Cream Sandwich that was going to do that?

Wasn't Gingerbread the answer to the lag or was that eclair?

If your Nexus is so great with ICS why was Google touting another solution for the inherent lag present in Android, "Trust us, this time it's going to work".

PS I own a Galaxy Nexus it's ok as a toy to mess with, for real work I use my iPhone 4.

ha ha. 'for real work'. yeah, right. thats what i see people doing with smartphones. 'real' work. so tell us what real work you are getting done with the iphone that you can't do with your GN?

• Reply 139 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Buying a company with active litigation going on is not Google suing a competitor.

Selling patents to HTC that are used for HTC defense is not Google suing a competitor.

Announcing they wish to purchase some company who has on-going issues with a competitor is not Google suing a competitor.

No, it's called "being a patent troll".

• Reply 140 of 379
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I believe this is Apple's slide-to-unlock feature in Android 4.0.   Most of Apple's design patents have been invalidated or thrown out in courts worldwide.

Right.  Uh, no.