Apple injunction against Galaxy S III would give Samsung 'big problems'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravage View Post

Lawsuits: Because innovating and competing is just too hard.

Well hey, as long as it's cheaper to use government to shut down your competition than have to actually compete with them, why not?

• Reply 62 of 137
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

This kills me every time! image

• Reply 63 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

I never understand the "this stifles innovation" argument.  No, it doesn't.  

Let's say Apple has patented a method to achieve a desired result.  If Samsung wants to do something similar and get a similar result without infringing Apple's patent they would have to innovate and come up with their own solution.

Patents don't stifle innovation, they encourage it.

If you see it differently, please explain.  I truly never understand that line of argument.

There's nothing to understand. You're spot on. It's the "stifles innovation" crowd that inhabits la-la land.

• Reply 64 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What about the SIII is Samsung copying? What could Apple feasibly get an injunction for?

Is it not obvious from the text of the AI article!?

What did Apple get the current injunctions for? Has Samsung implemented something different in S3 compared to the S on those?

• Reply 65 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think most of that copying will be past-tense now.

What evidence or argument do you have to back up that conjecture? Because the hardware of the S3 looks different?

• Reply 66 of 137

Apple has over $100B in cash, so no worries.

• Reply 67 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

I'm not going to get into an online argument over something as petty as this and I don't need to prove anything.  The information is out there for all to see, do your own research (and preferably on sites that are truly impartial).  I'm not going to defend either side because they're both at fault but if you think that one side developed a technology/feature/method that is truly unique and retains the obligation to be defended in this way then you're being naive.

You simply have no evidence. That's the bottom line. Move along.

• Reply 68 of 137
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Assuming you're talking about the Connery and Moore iterations of James Bond, he got them all. Even Blofeld (For Your Eyes Only.).

btw Dr. Evil was Austin Powers' menace (and 10x funnier).
  • Reply 69 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is it not obvious from the text of the AI article!?

What did Apple get the current injunctions for? Has Samsung implemented something different in S3 compared to the S on those?

The article lists the patents for the claim but they seem not to be that effective if they aren't glaringly obvious. I'm guessing that the SIII will not suffer the same fate as the Galaxy Tab 10.1
  • Reply 70 of 137
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You simply have no evidence. That's the bottom line. Move along.

I'm simply not going to take on "your" responsibilities as a consumer.  But if ignoring the facts because someone doesn't post "proof" in a biased forum makes you feel better then so be it.

• Reply 71 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's the same with all companies.

Not true. Lots of companies like to license. Microsoft for instance. 

• Reply 72 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Why is this even being mentioned because it's not going to happen.  Apple won't be able to stop the Galaxy S III from being sold.  And even if they did temporarily, it would probably be easy enough for Samsung or Google to make whatever changes are necessary in a relatively short time.  I'm willing to bet that most users wouldn't even care if changes were made.

Yeah and weren't you one of the ones who said Apple would never get an injunction against the Tab and Nexus?

The fact is that the SIII uses the same features as the Nexus, so it's not at all improbably that the injunction will be extended to cover the SIII.
    charlituna wrote: »
    Or not in this case as it is a tech issue and not a design one.
    The only way for Samsung to quickly get out of this would have been to agree that said tech was part of Android that Google created, not them. So Apple should be suing Google not them. But that time has passed.

Agreeing that the tech was in Google wouldn't help them. They're still selling it.
  • Reply 73 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The article lists the patents for the claim but they seem not to be that effective if they aren't glaringly obvious. I'm guessing that the SIII will not suffer the same fate as the Galaxy Tab 10.1

The injunctions are based on a Siri patent, that the SIII also infringes on. So, if the judge issued an injunction on the Galaxy tabs, she should issue it on the SIII as well. 

• Reply 74 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What evidence or argument do you have to back up that conjecture? Because the hardware of the S3 looks different?

No, common sense.

It's obvious Apple has been particularly aggressive on "look and feel" design patents both here and in Europe, apparently in the belief it was their fastest way to an injunction. I'd be darn surprised if Samsung wants to risk any more product delays when it's fairly easy to avoid one.

As for the utility patents, there's not a lot that can be done. Based on IP case averages it's highly unlikely that all four patents that Apple is asserting in this case will hold up to review in their entirety. And again, based on patent litigation averages, there's over a 90% chance that the patent office will find compelling reasons why some or all of these may not have been properly vetted and approved in the first place and order reexaminations. 

So now it becomes do they remove functions simply because Apple received a patent that they may believe won't survive re-exam, but risk an injunction in the meantime? Requesting and completing a patent reexamination is time-consuming. I personally don't think Samsung believed a court would bar any of their products on the basis of those particular patents. I'm reasonably sure even Apple, with the experienced legal teams they are using, expects them to be narrowed with a possibility of even being deemed invalid in whole over the course of this litigation. They do seem especially broad and non-specific to me but I'm no software engineer. It's a sticky situation. 

• Reply 75 of 137

This has been making the rounds in social networks:

Sam.Apple_.001-620x465.jpg

• Reply 76 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jazzguru wrote: »

And one wonders why I don't use social networking…
  • Reply 77 of 137
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Sam.Apple_.001-620x465.jpg

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Google Chrome_2012-07-02_13-49-11.jpg

Kind of similar but I'm guessing the iPhone design was finalized before the Samsung unveiling.

EDIT - Actually, Wikipedia tells me this phone wasn't unveiled until February 2008.

• Reply 78 of 137
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Damn, this article contains very little new information. It's troll baiting, after that successfully long weekend thread on virtually the same topic.
  • Reply 79 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Google Chrome_2012-07-02_13-49-11.jpg

Kind of similar but I'm guessing the iPhone design was finalized before the Samsung unveiling.

But who got the patent on the design first?

According to Wikipedia, Samsung filed a design patent for the F700 in 2006.

• Reply 80 of 137
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Excellent