Apple reminds customers that iWork.com will shutter July 31

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, oh what, does it need that would warrant a full update?

my thought exactly. There's really nothing that would be worth being a whole new version and if they did that then we'd have to pay again like with the whole Filemaker/Bento thing. Personally I suspect that they will drop the date from iWork and iLife and it will all just be point changes from now on. 

• Reply 22 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is you being the knee-jerk reactionary again isn't it?  :-)

It's been ages since any significant update of iWork at all (years) and there are many bugs and UI problems.  

but bugs and UI problems don't necessarily require some big change out to an iWork '12 with a new cost etc. They could fix those things, leave it at the current version and you could get the fix for free. Wouldn't you rather that than paying $19.99 an app for what is a few minor UI tweaks, bug fixes and more skeuomorphic faux leather crap that you'll hate anyway. Sure they'll still do it and you'll still hate it but at least you didn't just shell out $60 for that nonsense

• Reply 23 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So was this a failed experiment for Apple? Did they really think that web-based office suites would be a huge hit and something they needed to jump into?

I hope that Apple has been working on adding enterprise level features to iWork all these years but that doesn't seem like the most likely scenario.

More likely at some point they will do as they are with photo stream and make the ability for you to mark some documents as 'public' and there will be some instantly created homepage for that, your public streams and perhaps a few other features like your game center scores. Perhaps they will even allow you to come how incorporate your Facebook etc or at least links to them. maybe even allow other apps to do the same. 

• Reply 24 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you know any bugs off hand? I haven't run into a bug in a while. UI can use a bit of help, I think the inspector thing is a bit annoying at times, and the help software fails on helping me locate certain basic features.

The inspector in and of itself I don't mind but I also wouldn't mind if they put all those bits in a side bar not unlike what they have done in iPhoto. To me that makes more sense than the popups which I find I sometimes lose around the screen because they aren't anchored to anything. 

• Reply 25 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

More likely at some point they will do as they are with photo stream and make the ability for you to mark some documents as 'public' and there will be some instantly created homepage for that, your public streams and perhaps a few other features like your game center scores. Perhaps they will even allow you to come how incorporate your Facebook etc or at least links to them. maybe even allow other apps to do the same. 

I hope there are some excellent privacy controls if that is the case.  I know I'm not the "typical user" but I don't have one single spreadsheet or document I would want to have available on Facebook. I guess I don't understand what you are saying but don't you think your Game Center scores should be made available through some conduit in Game Center?   Why would you want to take the time to create and update something in iWork and then distribute that?  Seems like a lot of work.