Google comes to Samsung's aid in patent battle with Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

How do you get from this:

"Samsung has confirmed that it is working with Google to fend of patent infringement claims made by Apple, according to The Korea Times. The announcement marks the first time that Samsung has confirmed it is receiving assistance from Google in its legal battle with Apple."

to this:

"An unnamed official with Samsung quoted by the Times as saying the company hopes it will be able to earn royalties from Apple"?

How do you get from fending off infringement claims together to earning royalties?

• Reply 22 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

The patent system is broken.

If every company litigated like Apple, one of two things would happen:

1. Nobody would have any electronic device, or

2. Patent reform would rapidly take place

The fact of the matter is that these types of patents are insane. Ask yourself these questions:

1. What if Ford patented the "tire" as we know it? What if they sued every manufacturer for using that form factor, asthetic, material, etc?

2. Imagine Nike patented the modern "shoe." To what extent does that cover any shoe? Sandals? Boots? Any type of footwear?

Ridiculous propositions, right? So are these. Patenting basic "concepts" is not the same as patenting specific algorithms, such as Apple's internal music-suggesting logic for iTunes, should they choose to patent that (for example).

"If every company litigated like Apple..."

You mean if every company defended their intellectual property?

• Reply 23 of 93
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member

Imagine all of the money that could have been saved all round if Samsung had just apologised for ripping Apple off in the first place and changed their icons/chargers/packaging and look off their phones.

• Reply 24 of 93
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The reason Google is helping now is they now own the Motorola IP portfolio which they can license to Samsung if they like which could in turn help them win their case.

They offered to help HTC before, and likely have been helping Samsung all along behind closed doors.

• Reply 25 of 93
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Read my examples and post that you agree, or that you don't agree. Specifically regarding tires and shoes.

You answer that, and I'll respond to you.

• Reply 26 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

How do you get from fending off infringement claims together to earning royalties?

Imagine all of the patents held by the combined handset manufacturers as well as Google. Now imagine that all of them file IP lawsuits against Apple all at once for every patent they have.

Remember, Apple is the one of the offensive here. Google (and most of the rest) are only defending themselves. This is hypothetical to "What happens if everyone else turns on the offensive and goes against Apple?"

• Reply 27 of 93
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Maybe I'll get to say "Now Google has sued someone". ;)

I still doubt it tho. This could be anything from a faulty translation to Google joining Samsung in filing a new suit. It will be intersting to see if the report is at all accurate and what it actually means. IMO Google is going to have to involve itself more strongly than it has so far, and sooner rather than later.

If you did not conveniently ignore the Motorola suits, you already could.
  • Reply 28 of 93

Quote:

Read my examples and post that you agree, or that you don't agree. Specifically regarding tires and shoes.

Here's a hint:  There are many patents that cover tires and shoes. Also, comparison of tires or shoes to Apple's products is irrelevant. Patents covering basic phones have been around for many years, but Apple's phone is a computer that has phone function and all of the patents that require the application of FRAND are licensed by Apple and every other manufacturer.

Some tire patents (34,000+ results):  http://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&q=tires&btnG=#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=pts&sclient=psy-ab&q=rubber+tire&oq=rubber+tire&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.2231.3715.0.3958.11.9.0.2.2.0.226.1210.5j3j1.9.0...0.0.ImqTRJO_FcM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=72b5010e7e778aa2&biw=1322&bih=1223

Some shoe patents (34,000+ results):  http://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&q=tires&btnG=#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=pts&sclient=psy-ab&q=shoes&oq=shoes&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.46792.47984.1.48437.5.5.0.0.0.0.181.610.3j2.5.0...0.0.taimDco_d3M&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=72b5010e7e778aa2&biw=1322&bih=1223

You seem to be making the oldest error in the book that equates the "idea" of something being the same as a patent of something. Not at all the case.

• Reply 29 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

If you did not conveniently ignore the Motorola suits, you already could.

If you weren't guessing as to who decided what you already would have acknowledged that it was Motorola that sued Apple, months before the purchase was approved. Google could not have as they did not own them. Come back with a real one and I'll tell you you're right. In the meantime be honest enough to admit I am.

• Reply 30 of 93

Quote:

Here's a hint:  There are many patents that cover tires and shoes, look them up for yourself. Also, comparison of tires or shoes to Apple's products is irrelevant. Each invention is what it is.

Way to dodge my question altogether.

• Reply 31 of 93
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Taking ideas and making them better does not automatically make it your property.

• Reply 32 of 93
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

The thing you forgot it that patents are only valid for a specific period of time. You are giving examples that cannot happen. Tires and shoes been around for centuries and therefore they cannot be patented. However, someone could patent a certain composite material that can be used in manufacturing shoes and tires. Or someone could patent a certain feature that makes shoes lighter or a certain tire patters that improve handling.

One of the advantages of patents is that your competitors will have to look for better alternatives. This is how innovations is expected to come with patents. However, the problem with patents now is what is called non-practicing entities.

• Reply 33 of 93

Quote:

Way to dodge my question altogether.

Look again. Also, you should be as capable as anyone to use Google to perform a search.

• Reply 34 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Taking ideas and making them better does not automatically make it your property.

No, but taking an existing idea and patenting it makes it your property. Ideas cannot be owned. Patents can. Copyrights can. The undisclosed content of your mind is also your property.

• Reply 35 of 93
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

It makes the "better" part your property. Everyone else will need to find another way to get to the "better" part.

• Reply 36 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unnamed official with Samsung quoted by the Times as saying the company hopes it will be able to earn royalties from Apple.

They already earn huge amounts of money from Apple.  Billions of dollars a year.

But if this happened, heads would explode all across this site's user base.

• Reply 37 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The thing you forgot it that patents are only valid for a specific period of time. You are giving examples that cannot happen. Tires and shoes been around for centuries and therefore they cannot be patented. However, someone could patent a certain composite material that can be used in manufacturing shoes and tires. Or someone could patent a certain feature that makes shoes lighter or a certain tire patters that improve handling.

One of the advantages of patents is that your competitors will have to look for better alternatives. This is how innovations is expected to come with patents. However, the problem with patents now is what is called non-practicing entities.

Actually, a non-practicing entity that acquires patents to license, or in some cases shut out an infringing competitor, is legal and just a part of doing business. The time-limited monopoly aspect of patents is what makes them unique and highly sought after (depending on the nature of the patent, naturally). I don't agree with the "patent troll" moniker. The important part to remember about IP is that it is property and it can be used any way the owner wishes.

• Reply 38 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Jobs... lent Schmidt credibility by gifting him a seat on Apple's board

It was not a gift.  It was an appointment calculated to increase total profits.  Apple gives no gifts - most especially seats on the BOD.

• Reply 39 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you meant when an Angel raises his sword. :)

I thought it was "when you hear a bell ring, an angel gets his wings".  :)

• Reply 40 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Coupled with poor quality patents, coupled with a very high percentage that are found invalid in whole or part when challenged, coupled with the high cost to both get and keep one, coupled with. . .