Production of Apple's next iMac to begin this month for October launch - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Would you happen to know the reason for the migration from vBulletin to Huddler Tech? Seems many are rightfully complaining and I don't read many 'positives'

Reason? Um…

It's nicer on the back end. And it has great potential to be better on the front with very little additional tweaking. Timetables, however… Who knows when any updates would be pushed out.
    Do you take that beautiful white table cloth with you as well? lol

Bah! I'd forgotten about that. No, I have a much nicer table now, and have for a while.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

October? But I want it nooooowww. ;-)

• Reply 83 of 84
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I guess this is as good a place as any for technology to plateau. Does everyone else agree to give up on making new things?

This is stupid and unimaginative. The only way to make a stationary machine that you never move better is to minimize its depth? That is a gimmick, not a feature. There are areas where they could improve such displays and computers. You don't even gain back desk space from your suggestion, as the stand will not lose as much physical depth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

High-res iMacs implies high-res Cinema displays too, which would require Displayport 1.2 to run and that's coming in 2013 with Redwood Ridge and only pass-through (no chaining). Apple could get an exclusive on the new Thunderbolt controller of course.

There are high-res panels coming:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sharp-aquos-lc-60le636e-p12284/sharp-mass-producing-32-quad-hd-4k-lcd-panel-n24109.html

but some are very expensive:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/

"ViewSonic reps say the VP3280, which will be marketed towards film studios, broadcasters, photographers and any other professionals in need of a compact 4K display, could ship by the end of the year, costing 'about the price of a car'."

They don't say what kind of car, it could be some beat-up old used $500 motor but I suspect they mean a few thousand dollars.

I think Apple is just waiting until Mountain Lion is ready as the desktop release cycle falls into this schedule. Mountain Lion is rumored to arrive July 19th:

http://www.t-gaap.com/2012/6/18/mountain-lion-release-date-july-19-2012

The vacation blackout is July 22nd-29th so new OS, iMac and Mini and Digitimes wrong again. The new iPhone and iOS 6 will arrive in the Fall so I don't see why they'd release desktops at the same time.

They keep changing their claims. The initial claim was that the displayport 1.2 standard was already supported. I figured the imacs and minis would come around mountain lion. If they're coming with standard resolution, the developers do not have yet another issue to address, and the need to space them out is diminished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

Sure it can - but not using copper, it needs the fiber based implementation*

And - lo and behold - the Apple gear with TB ports are optical ready ... http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/13/optical-cables-for-thunderbolt-coming-in-2012/

But thats irrelevant. The iMac is an All-in-one device. The display is not connected by a TB port, it is wired into the mobo. For everyone else ... wait for the upgrade to fibre TB cable later this year.

* I am trying to find the link that showed the speed of the fibre vs copper TB, but can now only find info suggesting that fibre will allow greater cable runs.

They  are not optical ready in the sense of can take higher bandwidth. The bandwidth is fixed to what you have now. Optical cables can support longer cable lengths. There are a few articles that explain that true optical won't be seen in the first generation of them anyway. The info that it will only support greater cable runs is the correct into. The PCI lanes allocated to the chip and the chip's bandwidth remain the same. I don't know if a switch to PCIe 3 will drop latency, but if bandwidth actually increases somewhere, they will make sure you are aware of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Would you happen to know the reason for the migration from vBulletin to Huddler Tech? Seems many are rightfully complaining and I don't read many 'positives'

Haha good one!

Nowhere near as fast as PCIe, I bought one 2 months ago. But don't take my word for it: 361

Come to think of it; you're probably not comparing SSD vs PCIe but vs soldered cards, like the rMPB...

Do you take that beautiful white table cloth with you as well? lol

I want to mention on these tests since you're comparing the time it takes to execute scripts, it's a weird disk test. Given 64 bit photoshop, those times taper together immensely as you add ram. If I recall correctly, that test uses an image at 8 bits/channel with a 15k height. It's really relatively large. I'm not sure it would be considered medium as very few usage cases go far beyond that resolution. Movie posters are printed at fairly high resolution for their dimensions, and many of those files fall roughly within the medium test. Given that file sizes don't increase very fast, we're approaching  a point where the ssd boost to application performance will no longer exist as it's likely that cost effective ram configurations will catch up to cover much of this. In the past this couldn't be achieved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If that were true, wouldn't carrying cases for iMacs be a lot more readily available, and a much more common sight? They're available, but I think I've personally seen one, compared to thousands of laptop bags.

I just don't buy portability as a significant reason for the existence of the AIO, I think it's just a bonus rather than design intent for the very few people that would carry around an iMac enough to justify a special design. I need something with good evidence to show that it's not the simplicity. With an iMac, you can fully operate using only one cord on the desk, for power. With a tower system, you have three power cords, tower, monitor and speakers, and you have at least three data cords, for monitor and two speakers. Then you have at least for four large devices: two speakers (three if a subwoofer is involved), a monitor and a tower. Given that towers often target a budget market, you also generally have cords for a mouse and keyboard.

I'm still not a fan of the imac. I'd probably transport an external display + macbook pro  if I had to take something on a plane to work elsewhere:D. The 17" is about as small as I can deal with if I need a fair amount of visual real estate. Otherwise I tend to go for a 24". The 24" displays that we have currently, the older 21" lcds, and the old old 21" crts are roughly the same height. I find it difficult to go below that in any given application unless it's something where I can clean up the ui and basically rely solely on hotkeys, but I'm weird like that.

• Reply 84 of 84

What I think will come http://www.mmohome.com/ about for all types could be the actuality which they will all be considered a lowest of 8 GB of ram. I think it is feasible that that 27 inch design will also go no ODD and/or SSD only options. http://www.mmohome.com/gold/Maple-Story-US.html They may even do both. possess a option of essentially identical 27 inch with Retina as well as the regular SSD+HDD for example as now jointly with a slimmer. which could be truly what I would hold once the cost is excellent take about I rarely have any details on my iMac anyway because I hold my scratch amid places of work on hard drives.