Apple telling suppliers to prep for mass production of smaller iPad - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 61 of 160
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

7.85-inch seems to be quite specific for a rumor. Is there already a screen out there of this dimension or is it just a random guess? In any case, it would be a very nice addition in my opinion, although, I'm not sure it needs to be priced at $200. It could easily be $300+, especially with LTE, and still be the best selling device in that size category.

• Reply 62 of 160
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm at a loss as to why this would have high demand.  Is it supposed to replace Kindle readers because I don't exactly see the benefit of having it as a scaled-down iPad. 
    I'm beginning to wonder if all the people opposed to the idea of an iPad in a different size is from Kalifornia or some other screwed up leftist state. Is it really that damn difficult to understand that different people have different needs?
    Will it be used as a hand-held gaming console?  I can understand why consumers might buy Kindle Fires and other 7" Android tablets because they're cheap in price.  However, I don't see consumers buying a $299 7" iPad to save money. 
    Really one must pull ones head out of the sand, people will buy it because it is a seven inch iPad. Just pretend for a moment that none of those other machines even exist. In that context does it make sense to have just one physical size iPad?
    I'm guessing that Apple would have to leave out a number of features to reach that price and I personally think it's a bad idea to remove any features from a smaller iPad that the normal-sized iPad has. 
    What features? IPad is a slab with a touch screen, what could the possibly leave out? 4G might go but considering the market that is no big deal.
    I still think the analysts are wrong on this iPad mini and there must be something they're misunderstanding.  I'd be happy if an iPad mini could disrupt all sales of the smaller Android tablets, but that's about the only thing that would be worthwhile from it.

You have an extremely narrow view of the world. All of those other devices are of no concern, it is all about having a logical and marketable line up of devices for Apple.

As to usefullness I often suggest that people go to a local office supply store and look at the GPS hardware on display. These are available in a number of sub seven inch screen sizes. Imagine then an iPad that size, especially if you are engaged in business. Think large manufacturing plants, people doing field service, plumbers, electricians parcel delivery, quality control and others. This is just one target but we are talking people on the go here that normally do not interact excessively with computers.

In the end I really don't know why there is such negativity with respect to an iPad of a different size. It isn't like the current iPad is going anywhere.
  • Reply 63 of 160
    rogifan wrote: »
    I agree with this. I still think if anything we might see a bigger iPod touch. Especially if the iPhone gets bigger. But this meme being floated that Apple needs to compete with the $199 tablets is ridiculous. What evidence is there that Apple is being hurt because they don't compete in the cheap tablet market?

It isn't a cheap tablet market it is the 7 inch or so market. I'm really shocked that people think this is about being cheap rather than answering consummer needs.
  • Reply 64 of 160
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It isn't a cheap tablet market it is the 7 inch or so market. I'm really shocked that people think this is about being cheap rather than answering consummer needs.
    There might be some who about size, but I think it's mostly price. Otherwise the Nexus would be more than $199. Heck Google said the profit margin on the device is a big fat $0.
  • Reply 65 of 160
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hmmm. Seems like a larger iPod touch would be more appropriate... But that's just me.

Any comments on why 7.9 has 'better attributes' over the present 9 inch...just doesn't seem significant benefits????

Seems to me a 5-6 inch version would be a sweet spot... But that just me again.

The sweet spot is the manufacturing of the led glass to get Retina Display (280ish DPI, assuming that it's somewhere in-between an iPad and an iPod Touch in viewing distance), and doubling the pixels of the iPod Touch (likely) and enough 'body' to store a battery for 10+ hours of display, and weight distribution (thickness).   

My math is that 7.9" is about 290dpi at 'doubling' the current iPod/iPhone pixel geometry.  One 'shrink' the old iPad 1024/768, but I would think that would problematic for touch zone accuracy (if you shrink it, the accuracy of a 'touch' is measure by fewer pixels per sq mm, leading to inaccuracy... doubling it increases accuracy as you have more pixels per sq mm for the fuzzy logic of determining the 'center' of your touch)

Assuming a 1/2" all around.. that makes the device roughly  8x5" (size of a steno pad).  

• Reply 66 of 160
    This thread is killing me. Does anybody out there really think Apple would introduce a device with no profit potential?.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of boosting the iPod business without soiling the iPad brand name with a cheap tablet. I've certainly made plenty of comments toward that end since that rumour first appeared. I will be shocked if they call it an iPad and it's $199 device that is inline with other profit-less tablets.
    Oh come on, another iPad with a differtly sized screen will not soil anything. If anything it will enhance the brand. It is no different than offering up a 13" iPad, some would find such a device very useful as would users of a 7 inch class device.
    If they are going to announce such a device at an event where they update the iPod would seem like the best fit. That means this Autumn. Note that they didn't update the iPod Touch last year.
    This is a real possibility. What is missing from the iPod line up is a device specifically tuned for video play back. Such a device ought to support the common cinema aspect ratios natively. That means an aspect ratio wider than HDTV. Such a platform could be awesome for gaming too. However this is a completely different class of device than the iPad.
    PS: I'd think a cheaper Mac would be more beneficial to Apple's bottom line at this point. I can see them making an $800 PC that actually has a healthy profit margin.

Well this one I'm with you on. But really Apple is big enough these days that it shouldn't be a problem to manage the delivery to two product lines.
  • Reply 67 of 160
    A 7.85" iPad would be like the 11.6" Macbook Air: the new entry level product for each line.
  • Reply 68 of 160
    An Apple TV is a matter of when not if. I imagine this TV will come with a remote of some sort. Suppose it came with a 7.9 inch touchscreen remote. Maybe these supply preparations are for someing along these lines...
  • Reply 69 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

7.85-inch seems to be quite specific for a rumor. Is there already a screen out there of this dimension or is it just a random guess? In any case, it would be a very nice addition in my opinion, although, I'm not sure it needs to be priced at $200. It could easily be $300+, especially with LTE, and still be the best selling device in that size category.

think Retina Display

Think doubling the screen of an iPod Touch RD.

do the math.  7.85  puts you in RD range and all iPod Touch/iPhone apps will 'double' instantly.  'Just' the artwork needs to be redone to remove the jaggies.

As for price... All Apple has to do is keep the others down below a 5% margin.  at 299 that keeps everyone at $250 or lower to maintain differentiation.  Let's say Apple can build and sell this for $200... 33% margin at a run of a million a year.   Assuming the same part pricing for a 7" competitor, They lose 1/2 their margin up front (down to 16%), AND they have to compete with the other 3-5 competitors through differentiation.  How? by adding stuff (HDMI, flash ports, etc)  cost goes up.  Now they have to sell more to make up the margin loss... how do they do that?  by cutting prices... at 10% off, they are now down to 6% margins... and all this assuming they have the efficiencies in their supply and retail chain that Apple does and they don't.

Apple sets the price at 99 for iPhone4, 199 for iPod Touch/iPhone4s,  $299iPodTouchMax, $399 for iPad2, and $499 for iPad3

There is little pricing room under this umbrella.

No one else has a 'family' of devices running the same OS, running the same apps (every year they come out with ICS, GB, Froyo, JB), with an app store and an media store and a cloud.   Apple has them in the 'simplify my technology choice' side as well.

This Software+hardware+manufacturing+retail+media+ecosystem has little friction...

Android may have more devices out there, but no one is going to make money off of selling them.  

What is going to happen to the TV industry when Apple gets into it?;-)

• Reply 70 of 160

(dup)
  • Reply 71 of 160

Leaked internal Apple website ad for iPad nano! http://cl.ly/470F0W1x1K1M1s2G0l2a

HOLYCRAPBBQBHBDHHSHKJBLALANBSUJ

• Reply 72 of 160
    What if a lot of those people actually wanted a smaller tablet but wouldn't buy anything other than an Apple tablet. At this juncture they have only one choice.
    I can't believe that. I don't think the majority is that dumb, because that's not how they operate in everything else! I mean no offense to you, of course, but I also don't understand why you'd buy something that doesn't fit your needs (or at least wouldn't switch to something already available that does).
    I think you read him wrong, there isn't anything that fits his needs at the moment. That need is for a 7" class iOS device.
    90% of people are ones who'd never come on here, don't care about technology except when it doesn't work, and don't know anything about these patent battles, rumors, and other intricacies of our world. They're the ones buying iPads and tablets in droves, and they're the ones who are setting the market standards. They'd get rid of something if it didn't work for them, and they're far and away getting rid of Android tablets, not the iPad. That's how I see it, anyway.

A whole host of issues come with Android, it is a mistake to believe these tablets are being rejected because of size. That doesn't mean that the market is the same for 7" devices as it is for the current iPad.

What we are looking at here is consummer choice, something Apple has always catered too with their iPods. Apple currently has three iPods of differing size to support various needs, I do not see any reason why they can not support differing needs with the iPads. 90% of the people buying iPods most likely only care that they work too, that doesn't keep Apple from selling dramatically differing models.
  • Reply 73 of 160
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since when had Apple ever released a product to compete specifically with another product?

in the past, yes

• Reply 74 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by brooklynbilly View Post

An Apple TV is a matter of when not if. I imagine this TV will come with a remote of some sort. Suppose it came with a 7.9 inch touchscreen remote. Maybe these supply preparations are for someing along these lines...

Your imagination is a bit behind the times....There's an App for that http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/.

The remote shipped will be the same remote for the AppleTV now.  

What apple is 'inventing' in iTV has to do with content subscription and delivery from OTA, cable, online DVR, 'external' (DVDs) ... the HW they've had working for over a year.  

• Reply 75 of 160
    There might be some who about size, but I think it's mostly price. Otherwise the Nexus would be more than $199. Heck Google said the profit margin on the device is a big fat $0.

Well yeah, because Android exist to be part of Goggles marketing machine. If the tablet game was about price Apple would have lost considerable ground to these Android devices. They have so price really can't be the issue.
  • Reply 76 of 160
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Market is definitely there, Price is right at $249 or $199. Timing for the holidays would be appropriate. Microsoft Surface is good reason for a smaller more compact version of the Ipad. Finally, the holidays will be coming and the timing is great.

Whether or not this becomes reality remains to be seen. I wouldn't take any bets either way.

• Reply 77 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'd be more inclined to believe this rumor if every story didn't mention the Fire or Nexus or Apple needing a cheaper tablet because product X is going to be an iPad killer.. That suggests to me creating a rumor to fit a preconceived notion.
    Me too. I can see another line but it can't be something that weakens the iPad brand. The Kindle Fire might be nice for the price but you get what you pay for an it's the same price as the low-end iPod Touch with only 8GB that was released in 2010. Even the iPod Touch goes up to $400, double the cost of these cheap tablets.

wizard69 wrote: »
    Oh come on, another iPad with a differtly sized screen will not soil anything.
    It absolutely will if they follow the path of the Kindle Fire. Look at how many HW features Amazon had to remove to get the price to $199. Even though Apple has a leg up (as I mentioned in a previous thread) with sourcing components, using their know-how, and economy of scale to make a better, richer product for the same price i don't see a full-fledged iPad "Mini" at $199 with the same profit margin as being remotely feasible.
  • Reply 78 of 160
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Me too. I can see another line but it can't be something that weakens the iPad brand. The Kindle Fire might be nice for the price but you get what you pay for an it's the same price as the low-end iPod Touch with only 8GB that was released in 2010. Even the iPod Touch goes up to $400, double the cost of these cheap tablets.

It absolutely will if they follow the path of the Kindle Fire. Look at how many HW features Amazon had to remove to get the price to $199. Even though Apple has a leg up (as I mentioned in a previous thread) with sourcing components, using their know-how, and economy of scale to make a better, richer product for the same price i don't see a full-fledged iPad "Mini" at $199 with the same profit margin as being remotely feasible.

Why does it (smaller iPad) have to compete in that price range? Why can't it be more expensive and still sell well?

• Reply 79 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Here's a great article on why Apple doesn't need a 7" iPad. Let Amazon and Android OEM's race to the bottom. Apple doesn't play that game.
    http://www.zdnet.com/why-apple-doesnt-need-a-7-inch-ipad-7000000218/

It's a ridiculous article. It assumes:
    1. Apple would compete on price rather than features.
    2. Apple would need to cut corners to offer a product that is competitive on price. Keep in mind that with Apple's incredible supply chain, competitors can't beat the price of the 10" iPad or MBAs (or even the 27" iMac) even while Apple is getting very attractive margins.
    3. Consumers would not pay a premium for a genuine iPad rather than a cut rate POS that doesn't work well.

He didn't provide a shred of evidence to support any of those assumptions.

solipsismx wrote: »

Why in the world do people assume that an 8" iPad would weaken the brand? Does the 11" MBA weaken the brand? Does the 21" iMac weaken the brand? It's entirely possible to offer different sizes without weakening the brand.

Conceptually, start with the iPad 2 at $399. The hypothetical 7" iPad would have half the area. That means roughly half the screen costs (if using the same generation screen), half the metal costs, half the machining costs, slight reduction in battery costs, etc. Hitting a $299 price point doesn't sound all that difficult without cutting ANY corners.

As far as brand is concerned, the iPad brand is far, far stronger than the iPod brand. If they release the exact same product as an iPod, it will get far less attention than if it's released as an iPad. It's not logical, but that's the way it would work.
    thejd wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used one of these 7" devices? I have and so has one of my Apple hating coworkers. For two weeks I used one as a phone/tablet while traveling abroad (a Samsung Note) and came to the conclusion that it was nothing more than clunky to carry and use. My wife, who does not usually comment on gadgets and such, agreed. As for my coworker, he carried around his Nook Color for maybe two months for his everyday work needs. Now I never see it anymore and a 4.5" Droid has taken its place.
    My point is that Apple doesn't need to introduce a device this size because people don't use devices this size like iPads. They use iPads like iPads and iPhones like iPhones. I think this "mini" iPad is actually the new, larger iPhone or the remote for the new AppleTv.

So since YOU don't use a 7" device the way others do, it doesn't make sense?

Lots of people use 7" tablets in ways very similar to the iPad. And quite a few people have expressed an interest.

If no one would ever want a 7" tablet, please explain why 7" Android tablets outsell 10" Android tablets by a wide margin.
  • Reply 80 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Microsoft Surface is good reason for a smaller more compact version of the Ipad.

Can you elucidate further? I'm seeing the Surface, a larger device than the iPad likely coming around the price of the iPad for the ARM-based version and being at around the price of the MBA for the Intel-based version. I don't think it will have any significant impact on the iPad but if it does I'd think a smaller iPad would work against Apple if the Surface were to actually become a threat.