Apple climbs past Sony to become No. 2 brand in Asia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple climbed four places to No. 2 in a recent survey of the top brands in Asia, while rival Samsung took the top spot.

Campaign Asia-Pacific outed on Thursday the new rankings in the results of its 2012 Asia's Top Brands report, which was co-produced with Nielsen, CNBC reports. In its ninth year, the annual report was compiled from a survey of 4,800 residents across Asia.

With Sony and Panasonic taking the third and fourth spots respectively, four out of the top five brands were consumer electronics companies. Fourth-place Nestle was the only non-electronics maker among the group.

"Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product innovation within a wide range of consumer electronics," said Jolene Otremba, a reports editor for the magazine. "The brand's focus on high visibility marketing and advertising, as well as its commitment to developing brand presence in both new and mature markets has helped to give the brand a boost."

The survey results reflect the shift in brand value that smartphones and tablets have brought to Asia. Sony placed at the top of the list last year, but it slipped to No. 3 after being passed by both Samsung and Apple. Sony replaced its CEO earlier this year and has announced a restructuring intended to bring the company back to profitability.

Top brands in Asia

Asian consumers showed a stronger preference for luxury retail brands, such as Louis Vuitton and Calvin Klein, this year. Global brands also appeared to have gained more traction among respondents. For instance, only three local Chinese brands made the list of top 20 brands in the country, compared to eight brands in last year's results. Korean and Japan did, however, show a stronger loyalty to its "homegrown brands," the report noted, though it did point out that those brands are also global brands in their own rights.

As is to be expected, Samsung was the favorite brand in its home country of South Korea. It also placed first in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.

The Asia-Pacific region has been a key area of growth for Apple. iPhone sales in the company's APAC and Japan segments more than doubled in the March 2012 quarter when compared to a year ago. China in particular saw extraordinary growth of more than five times the year ago quarter.

Globally, Apple's brand has been recognized as one of the most valuable players. In May, Millward Brown declared the iPhone maker the world's most valuable brand with a valuation of $183 billion. Interbrands placed Apple at No. 8 among global brands in its rankings for 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    nitronitro Posts: 91member

how reliable are these rankings? anyone?????

• Reply 2 of 38
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I have no love for Sony. Once Blu-Ray's reign is over, I won't have any need of the PS3. Yes, I have one, and yes, I wish it were as easy and as fuss free as the iOS / iTunes / iCloud universe. PS3 does have a few good console games that I like, but I won't cling to Sony for a few platform exclusives. The whole system feels like it was designed by Sony's lawyers to protect content copyrights. Also, Sony has dropped features since the original PS3 with mandatory firmware updates. With Sony, users are second class citizens.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member

CORRECTION: "Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product THEFT within a wide range of consumer electronics."

• Reply 4 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have no love for Sony. Once Blu-Ray's reign is over, I won't have any need of the PS3. Yes, I have one, and yes, I wish it were as easy and as fuss free as the iOS / iTunes / iCloud universe. PS3 does have a few good console games that I like, but I won't cling to Sony for a few platform exclusives. The whole system feels like it was designed by Sony's lawyers to protect content copyrights. Also, Sony has dropped features since the original PS3 with mandatory firmware updates. With Sony, users are second class citizens.

Ah, yes, the Playstation 3: The only console that removes features when you update it.

Gotta love Sony doing that to their paying customers...

• Reply 5 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product innovation within a wide range of consumer electronics," said Jolene Otremba, a reports editor for the magazine. 

The above sentence is surely a joke.

• Reply 6 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The above sentence is surely a joke.

What are you talking about? You seen S-Voice? Biggest software innovation I've seen in years, with an utterly original interface. 

• Reply 7 of 38
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    gtr wrote: »
    Ah, yes, the Playstation 3: The only console that removes features when you update it.

Gotta love Sony doing that to their paying customers...

What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

CORRECTION: "Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product THEFT within a wide range of consumer electronics."

Yes, in the way they STOLE the following innovations that Apple

Mobile Phone with built in Projector

OLED Display Technology

Smart Stay technology

Ability to run apps side by side on a tablet

Video pop up on mobile displays

....and the list goes on. All of those things were on COUNTLESS devices, especially the iphone, BEFORE Samsung did it. 

And of course, when Apple debut their TV, it will have nothing in common with Samsung units such as

16:9 ratio

Rectangular shape

Square Edges

Uncluttered Front

Voice Intereaction

Gesture Interaction

TV Apps

OF COURSE NOT, Apple would never STEAL those TV ideas from Samsung.....NEVER

Darn Samsung...what will they steal from Apple next? Drop down Notifications?

• Reply 9 of 38
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    nitro wrote: »
    how reliable are these rankings? anyone?????

Such rankings affect neither my intention to purchase a company's product, nor its stock.

So, I guess, the answer, at least for me, is.....
  • Reply 10 of 38
    slurpy wrote: »
    What are you talking about? You seen S-Voice? Biggest software innovation I've seen in years, with an utterly original interface. 

Yeah, like he said, a joke.
  • Reply 11 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, like he said, a joke.

Yeah, its nothing but a renamed voice actions, which have been in Samsung phones BEFORE Siri. 

Obviously they stole it from Apple. 

Matter of fact, look at their whole ad campaign for the GS2

At the 1:06 mark, their ad showing off voice actions is CLEARLY a rip off of siri. Don't get caught up in the whole "How is that possible when this ad was made even before the launch of the iphone 4S"

Samsung CLEARLY took a time machine (which they copied from Apple, Patent # 4,556,765) and went back in time after seeing siri and put voice actions into their phone for the GS2. Its the ONLY logical explanation. 

Then they have the balls to release the SAME thing in the GS3 and call it S-Voice (which has 99.9% of the same functionality really) cause maybe they think it sounds cooler. Its sad. 

Darn Samsung, always copying. I bet they used the time machine to steal burst shot mode from the iphone 5 as well. 

Hell, they already did it with the NFC integration, an OBVIOUS nod to a feature first introduced in the iphone line. 

I mean, C'MON, siri could launch apps using voice WAY BEFORE voice actions could. WAY BEFORE.I remember when i got my iphone 4s and said "siri, launch angry birds", and it launched, i was amazed. Imagine that, launching apps using your voice. How did Apple think of that? Brilliant!! Then comes along Samsung to copy it. 

• Reply 12 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sleepy3 wrote: »

And of course, when Apple debut their TV, it will have nothing in common with Samsung units such as

16:9 ratio
    Rectangular shape
    Square Edges
    Uncluttered Front
    Voice Intereaction
    Gesture Interaction
    TV Apps

Samsung owns things like the 16:9 ratio on TVs despite that is how most are shot? You've got to be fucking kidding me!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Yeah, its nothing but a renamed voice actions, which have been in Samsung phones BEFORE Siri.

Now you're claiming Apple didn't have voice actions before Siri? ????
  • Reply 14 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung owns things like the 15:9 ratio on TVs despite that is how most are shot? You've got to fucking kidding me!

Apple owns things like rectangular phones despite every phone since the original motorolla was rectangular? You've got to fucking kidding me!

• Reply 15 of 38

Quote:

Why bother, with these folks.....

• Reply 16 of 38

Quote:

No no, that would be crazy. That would be like implying Samsung didn't have voice features since even before the 2002 SPH-i300 which had a touchscreen, virtual keys, rows of icons on the homescreen....but i digress. Its obvious Apple did everything Samsung has first. Voice, Multi-tasking, Notifications, NFC, LTE, Dual Core, Quad Core, 8MP cameras, Burst modes, Face unlocking, Projectors.

EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones was invented by Apple, and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

What a crappy company Samsung is. They would have never came up with the idea of video pop up windows on mobile phones had it not been for Apple showing them the way.

• Reply 17 of 38
    EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones were invented by Apple,. and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

So you've given up on trying to form a reasonable argument that can be debated. Then why post here at all?
  • Reply 18 of 38

Quote:

So you've given up on trying to form a reasonable argument that can be debated. Then why post here at all?

How is that not a reasonable argument?

What, you are saying that Samsung DOES have ideas of their own? I sure don't see them. 

You wish to point out any of these alleged original ideas by Samsung?

Thought so, you can't. 

• Reply 19 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151097/apple-climbs-past-sony-to-become-no-2-brand-in-asia#post_2140589"]The above sentence is surely a joke.

They do make other products than smartphones and tablets. It should speak volumes that Apple chooses them to provide parts for their devices.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones was invented by Apple, and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It should speak volumes that Apple chooses them to provide parts for their devices.

The only volume it speaks is the quantity kind. If anyone else could provide the same number of chips and whatever else, Samsung would be out in the cold.