Judge who tossed Apple-Motorola suit questions need for software patents

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 189
    iang1234iang1234 Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just like that last 2,000 times it was brought up, Apple didn't patent a broad or basic idea (such as unlocking a phone). They patented a very specific implementation of one way to unlock a phone. Patents must be specific and cover an implementation rather than a broad idea already, so there's no need for a change.

Then I am going to patent my "slide to unlock by licking" to make apple's not specific enough.

Btw, this is from Richard Stallman, as quoted by Marco Arment http://www.marco.org/2010/03/06/software-patents

Quote:

So let’s see what happens if [an inventor] tries to use a patent to stop them. He says “Oh No, IBM. You cannot compete with me. I’ve got this patent. IBM says let’s see. Let’s look at your product. Hmmm. I’ve got this patent and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one, which parts of your product infringe. If you think you can fight against all of them in court, I will just go back and find some more. So, why don’t you cross license with me?” And then this brilliant small inventor says “Well, OK, I’ll cross license”. So he can go back and make these wonderful whatever it is, but so can IBM. IBM gets access to his patent and gets the right to compete with him, which means that this patent didn’t “protect” him at all. The patent system doesn’t really do that.

This is an interesting talk about intelectual property protection in other industries (not just software or pharma) http://blog.ted.com/2010/05/25/lessons_from_fa/

spoiler: "in fashion industry there's very little intelectual property protection"

• Reply 182 of 189
    gwjvangwjvan Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iang1234 View Post

This is an interesting talk about intelectual property protection in other industries (not just software or pharma) http://blog.ted.com/2010/05/25/lessons_from_fa/

That's a really interesting talk. Specifically the success of innovators an industry without IP, and the idea of masters of the field being intensely driven to make things too innovative, too polished, "too difficult to copy".

• Reply 183 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by iang1234 View Post

That's a really interesting talk. Specifically the fact that an industry with so little IP protection can have both massive financial success overall and the success of the industry's innovators. It is interesting that, in an environment like this, an innovator might feel compelled to create something of such high quality that it is "too difficult to copy".

• Reply 184 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

. Patents must be specific and cover an implementation rather than a broad idea already, so there's no need for a change.

Given a choice between having respect for the opinion of one of the finest legal minds in the history of the world, and the opinion of a guy who would claim to be a Doctor of Science, but has no legal training whatsoever, I'll choose the former.

• Reply 185 of 189

What if the software was used to keep you alive, Or even better, Installed in the Boeing  A 747  Software will be the route of our own destruction, I don't think a pill will do the same.

A side note if I were apple I Would pack my Bags and go to India, Just goes to show what happens when you do very well in the US, Then we'll see what happens to Wall Street this country is going down much faster than I thought, 

BTW I've followed Apple Since 1989 And The iPod Started it all

This Case was bigger than ( MS and Apple ) Love to find some hacker to profile this guys family to see what he got for his ? Dismissed with out prejudices.  

• Reply 186 of 189

What if the software was used to keep you alive, Or even better, Installed in the Boeing  A 747  Software will be the route of our own destruction, I don't think a pill will do the same.

A side note if I were apple I Would pack my Bags and go to India, Just goes to show what happens when you do very well in the US, Then we'll see what happens to Wall Street this country is going down much faster than I thought, 

This Case was bigger than ( MS and Apple ) Love to find some hacker to profile this guys family to see what he got for his ? Dismissed with prejudices.  

• Reply 187 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judgementday View Post

What if the software was used to keep you alive

I would say this would be an argument against IP. You become dependent on a piece of technology. You bought it and own the matter which makes up the hardware. The "information", in this sense, is just the arrangement of matter within this hardware. If someone else "owns" the information, they essentially have some ownership rights over that matter- as long as it is arranged in a certain way.

If you are saying someone else retains IP power in this scenario, you are granting them the right to rearrange (by some chain of government force) the matter which you have physical property rights to and are dependent on, and potentially render it inoperable.

I don't think someone would abuse the above power if they knew it would directly and greatly harm someone, but you can already see some related examples of this starting to surface:

http://www.change.org/petitions/let-maya-speak-for-herself

• Reply 188 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judgementday View Post

This Case was bigger than ( MS and Apple ) Love to find some hacker to profile this guys family to see what he got for his ? Dismissed with prejudices.  

Just curious... why go to India?

• Reply 189 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oh geez, enough with the notification bar please. It's been beaten to death here and elsewhere already.

Well dude, it's a fair call. It's hypocritical to give Apple a golden ticket, when our beloved company also messes things up!