Apple rumored to revise backlight for iPad update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    fraklinc wrote: »
    Yeah but didn't they say the same thing last year and it never happened? That apple was going to release a revise new iPad for the up coming holidays.

And the year before.

Of course this single backlight iPad is just the iPad mini, which is so small it only needs one anyway.

Meanwhile, Apple being Apple they are hard t work on a new single backlight that is 4 times better than the current two light system, including allowing outdoor use, and needs only half the battery of the current system. We will see it, along with the ten times stronger and one third the glare new glass on the new new iPad next spring (10 inch size spurring again the 7 inch in the fall rumor)

Frankly I think that ???? needs to be a rating button for articles. Cause this one would earn the golden ???????????? in a flash just based on Digitimes being the source. Now we just need Shaw Wu and Brian White to confirm it so it can go ????????????????????????????????????????
  • Reply 22 of 28
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    slurpy wrote: »
    . Also incredible how spoiled we are, that when a device a few mm thin with a 10" screen pushing massively more pixels than a 1080P TV with buttery smoothness and capable of complex 3D graphics  gets warm, we start shrieking. 

Well you don't put that tv in your lap where it could melt off your nuts.

That said, the only time mine gets more than warm is when I charge it, leave the screen on, play video or a combo. Or I leave it in the car in the sun, especially in the desert.

And if this new backlight means we might see 'real' 3d (with the same smoothness) on the iPad I'm all for it. As long as its glasses free cause 3d glasses are an uncomfortable mess. But I doubt it will, this round. They will go retina, high refresh on the iMacs etc and get content in the iTunes store first. But I suspect around the new new new new iPad we'll see something like that
  • Reply 23 of 28
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    BS. ... There is no overheating problem.

And no way apple will change anything..,

Maybe iPad 4 will have some of the changes.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just wish there was a way to add a source of a Rumor to the ignore list! I'd add 'DigiTimes' in a heart beat.

LOL, the AppleInsider homepage would have two posts and the forum would look like a ghost town.

But heck, that's a wonderful idea. It would definitely improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here!

:-)

Actually, it's more realistic to look at AppleInsider, MacRumors, etc. as science fiction blogs here in 2012. The rumor quality has degraded so much and the amount of commentary by people who have a very tenuous grasp on reality has skyrocketed. If you look at it that way, this site is far more entertaining than Battlestar Galactica, Serenity, whatever.

• Reply 25 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kindredmac wrote: »
    LEDs get hot?

The batteries and circuitry that power them certainly do.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Amazing how my iPad that I've owned since launch day has never 'overheated', nor that of anyone I know, contrary to sensationalist internet reports that this is a normal occurrence and a glaring hardware issue. Also incredible how spoiled we are, that when a device a few mm thin with a 10" screen pushing massively more pixels than a 1080P TV with buttery smoothness and capable of complex 3D graphics  gets warm, we start shrieking. 
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The batteries and circuitry that power them certainly do.

There's a difference between generate heat and get hot. The current iPad gets a little bit warm, but if that bothers someone, then they've probably never owned a notebook computer, many are uncomfortable through jeans on a winter night. I've never had my iPad get anywhere nearly notebook computer warm. My iPads barely get above ambient temperature, and half of that might be because of my own body heat. I don't think it can get to thermal alarm under its own power, unless something is broken or you're in the desert sun.
  • Reply 27 of 28

Geez must be a slow news day to keep quoting DigiTimes. What is the accuracy rate of their so-called informed sources ? 5% ?

• Reply 28 of 28

Try running the Navigon navigation app with 3D terrain rendering. I did last weekend with my "New" iPad in a BookBook case.....it overheated, popped up the thermal warning message and automatically shutdown. There is (or can be) an overheating problem, but it can just as easily be caused by crappy software programming as it can be by Apple's hardware design.