Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

2456712

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,364member


    If Samsung does create such a device, I imagine the target audience is fairly small.


     


    There's certain professionals I can think of who could benefit from a pocketable ultra-portable mini-tablet. Adding a smart-stylus for mark-ups such as detailing a picture, highlighting specific notes or clipping a pertinent passage from a web image or page could be a helpful touch for tradesmen, salespeople and the like. That it could also be used as a phone if needed is just a side benefit. I doubt the idea that it might have some success developed in a vacuum. More likely it's prompted by feedback from users of the original Note.

  • Reply 22 of 239


    Why do I foresee a Saturday Night Live skit coming soon?  


     


    This sorta hearkens back to the 1980s when folks carried boom boxes around on their shoulders.  

  • Reply 23 of 239
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post


    i'm sorry, bigger is not always better. ...



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post


    They'll just keep making them bigger until people stop buying them. ...



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post


    These big screen sizes are so impractical as a phone. ...



     


    I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  


     


    Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  


     


    It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  


    Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  


     


    Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  


     


    If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  


     


    I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

  • Reply 24 of 239


    Well, so cool is has different options in the market and the final customer has the final decision... and not what Steve Jobs wanted.


    Sorry for you Girls´ little hands...


     


    BTW, Steve Jobs has to be really mad in his iTomb just knowing Mr. Coke wants put in the market a "perfect" 7" tablet.

  • Reply 25 of 239
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member


    I'm not quoting it because that just perpetuates it, but this are some seriously offensive, racist/sexist comments here based on probably no actual information when it comes right down to it.  


    I reported it and encourage the moderators to send you out to pasture for a few days.  


     


    I know from reading the forum a lot that you are an older person with some seriously old-fashioned ideas and that you probably don't mean anything by this but seriously, if you can't behave in public, maybe it's time to stay in your room and not be commenting on teh internets?

  • Reply 26 of 239
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member


    Jeez Louise! There's someone in my office with the Note, and it is really uncomfortable to use as a phone. And I have large hands! The Note II reminds me of something my 10 y/o watches on Nickelodeon, Victorious. This is a photo of someone using the PearPad 1:


     


    RobbiePearPad.jpg


     


    --DotComCTO

  • Reply 27 of 239
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member


    Hmmm in 10 years it will be 40 inches with a small nuclear reactor... samsung really don`t know about power management... watch my phone! it has 32 cores at 5.6 Ghz 40 inch screen with full HD 1 Tb of RAM and battery last incredible 30 minutes of stand-by because it`s 112 Ah ! 


     


    The marketing that is pushing clock speed and number cores of today mobile phones to sky heights is also pushing screen sizes to incredible levels, cause samsung and others can`t fit a bigger batteries there... seriously did you think samsung or HTC or LG or huawei can fit a 1420 mAh battery inside phone of size and thickness of iPhone without change 1.5 milimeters thick glass on the back for super thin flexible plastic ?

  • Reply 28 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member


    I'm disappointed that somebody decided to remove my factual post, which was backed up by factual evidence. And it's also quite sad that some people object to reality, facts and have no sense of humor.


     


    But that's ok, because I know exactly what I'll think whenever I see somebody with those ridiculously large sized phones.

  • Reply 29 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    BTW, Steve Jobs has to be really mad in his iTomb just knowing Mr. Coke wants put in the market a "perfect" 7" tablet.

    You really think that I mediately after Steve's death everyone at Apple started working on a 7" from scratch so that they could have it ready a year later? If you believe that then you have failed to comprehend so many basic concepts.
  • Reply 30 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think we're on track for a 7" phone by next year.

    I'm not against it, but it requires a very different usage model, with a wireless headset. Holding a phone up to one's face is an idea that can go away. Basically, your tablet could get phone connectivity and thus no longer need to carry a tablet and a phone. If you take your tablet and phone everywhere, then this is a net negative burden.
  • Reply 31 of 239
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151132/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-rumored-to-get-even-bigger-with-5-5-display#post_2141668"]I'm disappointed that somebody decided to remove my factual post, which was backed up by factual evidence. And it's also quite sad that some people object to reality, facts and have no sense of humor.

    I'm disappointed you thought it was okay to post in the first place.
  • Reply 32 of 239
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Hm, an old German idiom for 'being slow on the uptake' I never understood is 'ein Brett vor dem Kopf haben' (to have a plank in front of the head)...

    It starts to make some sense now...
  • Reply 33 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    I'm disappointed you thought it was okay to post in the first place.


    If I thought that it was going to be removed, then I obviously wouldn't have posted it in the first place. But, it's not that big of a deal, it only took me a few minutes to write.

  • Reply 34 of 239
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 782member


    I guess the old Motorolas were 20 years ahead of their time.


     


     


    motorola-dynatac-8000x-1987.jpg

  • Reply 35 of 239
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member


    Well done Samsung. I wouldn't want a device of this form factor - even an iOS one, but it appears that it suits some people. This is the advantage of more vendors for Android - more choice of devices. But prominent amongst the questions you have to ask against it, is how many developers are optimising Apps for the screen-space.

  • Reply 36 of 239
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  


     


    Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  


     


    If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  



     


    Like the comments regarding convention, but I think that a 7" iPad might be a little too big to be a good phone. At least with the 5.5" Note you can still rather easily hold it in one hand near your face and do the speakerphone thing. The pad's size and weight would make doing that for any length of time fairly uncomfortable, and awkward if you need to talk to someone and you're engaged in some other activity.

  • Reply 37 of 239
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post





    The perfect size for a smartphone is up to 4 inches. If you can’t operate it with one hand it’s not a phone anymore, it’s just some device with phone capabilities.


    You nailed it.  Even 4 inches will not work for those with small hands, but 3.5 inches works for most everyone.


     


    Has anyone talked to any app developers, who must be tearing their respective hairs out trying to match the graphics of each game to each device - sheesh.

  • Reply 38 of 239
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    ivlad wrote: »
    HAHA wholly shait! It reminds of of when insecure, tiny men buy Hummers. LOL! Samsung doesn't know what else to do, copied everything they could out of Apple.

    You mean copy the rumors.
  • Reply 39 of 239
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member


    200px-Portable_radio_SCR536.jpg


     


    In Honor of our troops on July 4th - What's that you say, no more Walkie Talkies -- let them eat Galaxy Notes !

  • Reply 40 of 239
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


     


    Like the comments regarding convention, but I think that a 7" iPad might be a little too big to be a good phone. At least with the 5.5" Note you can still rather easily hold it in one hand near your face and do the speakerphone thing. The pad's size and weight would make doing that for any length of time fairly uncomfortable, and awkward if you need to talk to someone and you're engaged in some other activity.



     


    In regards phones, I'm kind of in the same camp. I just wanted to point out the obvious bias in the remarks being made, and the lack of any real factual basis for them.  Different strokes for different folks etc. 


     


    I have used the iPad for a camera though and I must say it's just so good, that it kind of disappoints me that (so far) I kind of have to do it in secret so as not to be ridiculed.  I'm not sure I get why having a super large, super excellent, viewfinder for your camera is supposed to be "dumb." It really makes setting up the shot a lot easier and it's so WYSIWYG it's insane. 

Sign In or Register to comment.