Apple reportedly playing waiting game with mobile-payment initiative

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

They only take three versions because anything needs to pass through the three layers of developers...

steve-balmer-developers-developers-developers.jpg

That's the image of Ballmer that haunts my sweat-stained nightmares...

• Reply 42 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    melgross wrote: »
    You mean paper, don't you?

Nope, money's cloth.
    But whether you use it or not, tens, if not hundreds of millions use those stupid PIN numbers.

Let's get rid of those and coins at the same time.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider 

[...] Apple is strategically waiting until the market is no longer nascent and can learn from the competition's mistakes [...] by 2016.

And Samsung et al to copy
  • Reply 44 of 53
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh please. Microsoft? The company that made a name for itself rushing version 1.0 to market and takes 3 versions to get anything right?

Are you one the same people saying you should expect bugs in new versions of products i.e. rMBP?

• Reply 45 of 53
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Except for one key difference. Paypals POS system works with existing POS terminals. You enter Paypal account info (or swipe their card) and the terminal handles the transaction. PayPal is acting like a CC company in that regard.

There is no key difference:

It is possible but not necessary to have POS terminal with Paypal.  It is entirely possible NOW to physically visit a merchant's location, choose your product or service, then pay the merchant's Paypal account all through Paypal without having to use a point of sale terminal.  Individuals use Paypal to receive funds for what they sell on eBay without any POS terminal.

Getting rid of existing payment infrastructure and POS terminals globally would be a huge undertaking with no advantage to Apple, it would only take away their focus.

Keep matters in perspective, Apple makes most of its profit from the hardware it sells, not from running iTunes and the App stores.

• Reply 46 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Seeing that you're from the UK, I hope you're doing your bit to push NFC payment technology by using a contactless payment card.

Yes I got one a few months ago when my bank started issuing new debit cards with the contactless technology built in.

In my experience it works very well. It's quick, easy and I've certainly had no problems with it. The only issue is finding retailers who have installed the payment points but I'm sure that will grow over time.

I hate carrying loose change, it's a real pain. This technology seems an obvious winner to me. If I'm honest I would prefer to preload cash onto my iPhone and pay that way rather than using my debit card.

• Reply 47 of 53
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

FWIW.

• Reply 48 of 53
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not surprising.

Apple has typically been relatively conservative in picking cellular technologies for its handsets, typically waiting for a given cellular network technology to be well deployed on a worldwide basis before implementing it in their handset. In the last iteration, the iPhone 4S stuck to well-proven HSPA+ technology rather than try to implement LTE (which would have been problematic concerning battery life issues).

Actually. if you look at the landscape of 4G LTE patents, you will clearly see why. Apple has almost zero presence in 4G LTE patent portfolio. Well, that is not 100% true since they had the right to use Nortel's 4G LTE patents bought by the consortium which include Apple, Microsoft, Sony and RIM. Unfortunately, those 158 Nortel 4G LTE patents represent only a paltry 1.8% of total 4G LTE patents. Can you guess who owns the most 4G LTE patents? It's Apple's mortal enemy and supplier Samsung. And, If you go further, Android partnership holds close to 30% of total 4G LTE patents issued so far. It's like you can not go using certain 4G LTE technology without stepping onto your mortal enemy's foot. Hey, you have decided to start going  "thermonuclear war" with your enemy, then you will have to be sure that you can fend yourself against the radioactive fallouts. 

The use of 4G LTE's technology will force Apple's hand. They must use Qualcomm chip to secure the safety of the considerable 4G LTE patents that Qualcomm owns [710 patents]. Apple had signed a cross-licensing deal with Nokia [293 patents] after the latter alleged Apple's of patent infringements. In addition, they must secure additional licenses from prominent 4G LTE patent owners, such as Samsung [1177 patents], Panasonis [389 patents], Interdigital [336 patents], Motorola [224 patents], Sony [189 patents], LG [224 patents], and so on. And these people own REAL patents, not imaginary ones often claimed by a company with a fruit name which had fallen onto Isaac Newton's head once.

Apple's screw up in Australia and EU when they sold Ipad 3 with wrong 4G LTE band explains so many things about this company's idiocy. When you designate your device to be 4G LTE capable, then it has to be 4G LTE capable. So, if you sell your device in EU, Australia or Uranus with 4G LTE label on it, then it must be capable to do 4G LTE there. Is that a very difficult concept to understand? After all, Apple is a company without flaws. The death grip issue, for example, was Apple's fanboys fault for not holding the phone exactly like the way described in the already patented Apple's phone holding schematic as issued by USPTO. 

• Reply 49 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Yes I got one a few months ago when my bank started issuing new debit cards with the contactless technology built in.

In my experience it works very well. It's quick, easy and I've certainly had no problems with it. The only issue is finding retailers who have installed the payment points but I'm sure that will grow over time.

I hate carrying loose change, it's a real pain. This technology seems an obvious winner to me. If I'm honest I would prefer to preload cash onto my iPhone and pay that way rather than using my debit card.

Quite a few places have this in Australia now but I can't say that I like it much. Under a certain amount you simply put your card next to the reader and it takes the money, no pin or anything.

• Reply 50 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Actually. if you look at the landscape of 4G LTE patents, you will clearly see why. Apple has almost zero presence in 4G LTE patent portfolio. Well, that is not 100% true since they had the right to use Nortel's 4G LTE patents bought by the consortium which include Apple, Microsoft, Sony and RIM. Unfortunately, those 158 Nortel 4G LTE patents represent only a paltry 1.8% of total 4G LTE patents. Can you guess who owns the most 4G LTE patents? It's Apple's mortal enemy and supplier Samsung. And, If you go further, Android partnership holds close to 30% of total 4G LTE patents issued so far. It's like you can not go using certain 4G LTE technology without stepping onto your mortal enemy's foot. Hey, you have decided to start going  "thermonuclear war" with your enemy, then you will have to be sure that you can fend yourself against the radioactive fallouts. 

The use of 4G LTE's technology will force Apple's hand. They must use Qualcomm chip to secure the safety of the considerable 4G LTE patents that Qualcomm owns [710 patents]. Apple had signed a cross-licensing deal with Nokia [293 patents] after the latter alleged Apple's of patent infringements. In addition, they must secure additional licenses from prominent 4G LTE patent owners, such as Samsung [1177 patents], Panasonis [389 patents], Interdigital [336 patents], Motorola [224 patents], Sony [189 patents], LG [224 patents], and so on. And these people own REAL patents, not imaginary ones often claimed by a company with a fruit name which had fallen onto Isaac Newton's head once.

Apple's screw up in Australia and EU when they sold Ipad 3 with wrong 4G LTE band explains so many things about this company's idiocy. When you designate your device to be 4G LTE capable, then it has to be 4G LTE capable. So, if you sell your device in EU, Australia or Uranus with 4G LTE label on it, then it must be capable to do 4G LTE there. Is that a very difficult concept to understand? After all, Apple is a company without flaws. The death grip issue, for example, was Apple's fanboys fault for not holding the phone exactly like the way described in the already patented Apple's phone holding schematic as issued by USPTO. 

Great post but I now wait for you to get flamed and called a Apple hater. Also don't forget, in here the iPhone 4 antenna issue "never happened"...

• Reply 51 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Let's get rid of those and coins at the same time.

It's actually paper made of rags, called rag paper, but if it makes you happy, then fine, it's cloth.

But I don't see what PIN numbers have to do with coins. PIN numbers aren't necessary, but you can't settle for less than a dollar without coins if you're using actual money rather than some sort of electronic payment system.
  • Reply 52 of 53

They should at least put the NFC element in the new iphone. Even if it won't be used until the future.

No harm future proofing the iphone just a little bit so they can launch the service with an update (ios6.5 or 7?)