Apple calls for developers to submit OS X Mountain Lion apps

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Shortly after seeding the Golden Master release of OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has sent an email calling for developers to begin submitting apps for the upcoming desktop operating system update.

Earlier on Monday, Apple sent out the completed version of OS X Mountain Lion in preparation for public release later this month.

Mac Rumors reports that the Cupertino, Calif., company sent out an email to registered developers notifying them that they can submit Mountain Lion apps. App makers were also encouraged to send in iOS apps that have been designed to make use of new Mountain Lion features, such as Game Center Groups.

OS X Mountain Lion will cost $19.99 when it arrives in the Mac App Store. Customers who purchased a new Mac after June 11 will receive the update for free after it is released.

The email, as obtained by Mac Rumors:
Make sure your apps take advantage of the great new features in OS X Mountain Lion when the world's most advanced operating system ships to millions of customers worldwide. Download OS X Mountain Lion GM seed and Xcode 4.4 GM seed, now available on the Mac Dev Center. Build your apps with these latest seeds, then test and submit for review.

You can also submit iOS apps that take advantage of the new cross-platform Game Center Groups, so they'll be available when OS X Mountain Lion ships.
Mountain Lion

To read up on the new features in OS X 10.8, take a look at AppleInsider's Inside Mountain Lion series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Awesome, very exciting ... Just hope it's a lot faster than Lion ... Just saying ....
  • Reply 2 of 15
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

Got to agree with you here, some of the changes with Lion were really useful, some less so but like you I would like to see a bit more speed.

Well a lot more would be even better.

• Reply 3 of 15
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Awesome, very exciting ... Just hope it's a lot faster than Lion ... Just saying ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

Got to agree with you here, some of the changes with Lion were really useful, some less so but like you I would like to see a bit more speed.

Well a lot more would be even better.

You guys have been spoiled by Snow Leopard!

But I agree with you both.

And bring on more iCloud integration!

• Reply 4 of 15
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Does anyone know if there will be any problems running Final Cut Studio 3 apps under Mountain Lion?

• Reply 5 of 15
    mp1963mp1963 Posts: 17member
    The RoaringApps compatibility list for Mountain Lion currently has Pages, Numbers and Keynote as not working correctly. As I use all of these apps every day I will wait to see if either a fix appears or even a new version before buying.
  • Reply 6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Does anyone know if there will be any problems running Final Cut Studio 3 apps under Mountain Lion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp1963 View Post

The RoaringApps compatibility list for Mountain Lion currently has Pages, Numbers and Keynote as not working correctly. As I use all of these apps every day I will wait to see if either a fix appears or even a new version before buying.

Guys, seriously!

One thing that is guaranteed to be working on launch day is Apple's own software!

Wait and see.

• Reply 7 of 15
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

Quote:

One thing that is guaranteed to be working on launch day is Apple's own software!

Wait and see.

Yep, they usually get that right but I would like to see an update to Pages and Numbers (Keynote is still very good). It has been a few years (three?) since a proper update.

Office 2011 is a resource hog (especially Excel) it doesn't have all the features of the windows version but there just isn't a competitive office suite that is elegant, stable, and feature rich as well as compatible.

It is about time Apple pulled their finger out and showed MS how it should be done.

It would be the perfect time to launch alongside Mountain Lion, get established and then follow up with a new version for IOS later in the year.

MS is rolling the dice with W8 and now would be the time to really offer a suite that would pull more people into trying OS X

It won't happen but I really wish it would 

• Reply 8 of 15
    festerfeet wrote: »
    I would like to see an update to Pages and Numbers (Keynote is still very good). It has been a few years (three?) since a proper update.

Agreed.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Devs that have already sandboxed their apps probably won't have to do anything. Anyone selling outside of the App Store will at least have to sign their code now.

In the future people will scarcely believe that we used to just download and run unsigned code from anywhere in the world.

• Reply 10 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The one thing I'm not liking about the Mac App Store is iCloud. The only way a dev can use iCloud syncing, like they used with MobileMe, is if there app is in the Mac App Store. However, not all apps work well via the MAS. Either the MAS needs to be opened up a bit (which I don't see happening) or Apple needs to lighten up on iCloud rules. If not there will be some major issues with usability moving forward until devs find a 3rd-party solution that can shut out iCloud syncing all together which I don't think Apple wants.
  • Reply 11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Guys, seriously!

Wait and see.

Except for the fact that Final Cut Studio 3 apps have legacy code. Apple do not support a lot of legacy technology and was just making sure nothing would break upon update as I do not plan on upgrading to Final Cut "Pro" 10.

• Reply 12 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    feynman wrote: »
    …I do not plan on upgrading to Final Cut "Pro" 10.

Enjoy being left behind, industry-wide. You should get off that kick quickly.
  • Reply 13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy being left behind, industry-wide. You should get off that kick quickly.

If it had the same sequence based editing I surely would. I have the iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GBs of memory and 2 GB memory card and when I tried Final Cut 10 on it, it chocked and could barely handle adding text. Sure it was faster in many areas but very slow in others. You can't blame me for being comfortable with what I know. I am very productive with Final Cut 7, as are many others. It's just sad that they took away so much from 10.

• Reply 14 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    feynman wrote: »
    You can't blame me for being comfortable with what I know. I am very productive with Final Cut 7, as are many others.

I'm not calling that into question at all! I'm just saying that you won't be as productive with it in the future if you think you're going to get reversions. People can't do much with Photoshop 1.0 these days.
    It's just sad that they took away so much from 10.

It's also sad that you haven't been paying any attention to updates from months ago.
  • Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's also sad that you haven't been paying any attention to updates from months ago.

I'll give it another whirl. I don't think they will make any revisions to 7, that's why I was asking if everything still works. Eventually I will either go to 10 or jump ship. I just want something that does what I need it to do. I am not an editor, though I do have to make edits when my editor is not available for specific projects.