Apple's next iPod nano may resemble tiny iPhone, feature dedicated iTunes service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Hmm. I've been thinking for awhile that Apple might capitalize on the "iPod Nano as wristwatch" thing and branch it off into its own mature product: a wristwatch the tells time, shows the caller ID of your phone calls, acts as a portal for Siri, has fitness functions, and essentially acts as remote for your iPhone/Mac (in addition to iPod functionality). That would be sweeeet!

If that's true, then perhaps they could return to the rectangular form factor for the pure iPod Nano product. 16:10, 2 inches across, Multitouch but no iOS, home button, slim aluminum body? 

I'm with you.  Not only with what you mentioned- but it could show all of your notifications as well (Messages, emails, etc) and you could respond to the texts via siri or dictation.  All done through Bluetooth.  If only.....

The biggest bottleneck would be battery life.  As it stands now, if the nano is in standby mode but constantly synced, what'll that last?  Is there technology to power that with motion?  I'm sure thats the only thing holding it back.

• Reply 22 of 67
    Hmm. I've been thinking for awhile that Apple might capitalize on the "iPod Nano as wristwatch" thing and branch it off into its own mature product: a wristwatch the tells time, shows the caller ID of your phone calls, acts as a portal for Siri, has fitness functions, and essentially acts as remote for your iPhone/Mac (in addition to iPod functionality). That would be sweeeet!

If that's true, then perhaps they could return to the rectangular form factor for the pure iPod Nano product. 16:10, 2 inches across, Multitouch but no iOS, home button, slim aluminum body? 

I can see this working, using the iPod nano form factor. To review and expand, it would be a Bluetooth headset + second screen for an iPhone or iPad, with Siri branding. Hardware-wise, it would be a low-power, always-on multitouch display with a speaker, microphone, and headphone jack. The interface would primarily be a big button for controlling Siri, but would also control music playback and display information on calls, texts, and other notifications. An API could allow apps to communicate more detailed (though limited in type, say, text and images) information. Scenario: somebody writes on your Timeline, Facebook sends a notification to your phone. Your phone sends this to your Siri watch and displays it appropriately. You can either clear the notification from the watch, take out your phone and respond, or tap the notification on the watch, temporarily launching Facebook on your phone, transmitting the contents of the post to the watch, then return to its previously-inactive state while you read the text on your watch, or have Siri read it to you.
  • Reply 23 of 67

Stalking horse for iPhone Nano.

Feature phones still comprise almost 62% of the mobile phone market. http://www.telecomasia.net/content/android-peaks-phone-market-slows  Do you think that Cupertino is uninterested in a bite of that apple?

• Reply 24 of 67

They're keeping the current square design of the iPod nano.  

This is the new 10th anniversary iPod mini.  It will come out next (2013) holiday season.

(Speaking with no authority, whatsoever.  Completely making this up.)

• Reply 25 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I was hoping for this too, but maybe they will do both.  

I'm getting kind of bored (and tired of the expense) of carrying an iPhone and a iPad everywhere.  Other than the network connection the iPhone is becoming more and more just "dead weight" to me.  I was hoping that a nano or some kind of wearable something would be able to replicate the infrequently used antique 'telephone" function, let me see what time it is occasionally, and therefore completely replace the iPhone since the other functions are all replicated on the iPad anyway.  

I'd like to just carry the iPad (hopefully the 'mini'), be able to see the time & weather without having to pull the iPad out of my bag, and not look like a complete tool when I get the occasional phone call.  

Who uses the telephone anymore anyway?  I'd be glad to not have to buy/use an iPhone at all at this point.  

It's the iPhone Nano.  For people with iPad's who don't feel the need to have two different 4+ inch screens.

• Reply 26 of 67
    zequzequ Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I kinda hope they stop making the shuffle entirely.  

It's totally tacky and not really related to anything else Apple does. They might as well make portable AM radios and travel alarms as well.  Or maybe one of those radios that works in the shower.  

Those are all in the same general category of device.    

The shuffle is absolutely the best iPod for running.  I own a few other iPods and an iPhone, but the shuffle, with it's super simple controls that i don't need to look at, light weight and cheap enough price that i don't care if i lose it on a run, make it a must have for me and my most used music device.  If they discontinued it tomorrow, i would buy a few to keep in case anything happens to my current one  (Which has lasted for years by the way.)

• Reply 27 of 67

Where is the video camera? I thought the last generation with the video camera was a great idea. The only improvements I would have preferred would have been the ability to zoom in and out. If it had a touch screen then one could use gestures to do that. That should have been the evolution of the iPod Nano. The current Nano should have been the evolution of the Shuffle.

• Reply 28 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Stalking horse for iPhone Nano.

Feature phones still comprise almost 62% of the mobile phone market. Do you think that Cupertino is uninterested in a bite of that apple?

Yes, given that feature phones are completely worthless and you can get an iPhone free on contract (or for a few hundred with PAYG).
  • Reply 29 of 67

If there's going to be a home button, it may be on the side like the current 'on'/'off' switch is.  The nano's raison d'etre is small footprint and the home button in the renders shows wasted space.

Also, apparently the person who did the renders hasn't caught the recent articles by Gruber et al. about tap targets and resolutions.  Imagine that this nano is even close to the size of the previous gen rectangular shaped ones.  The tap targets for the music slider and play/pause ff/rw 'buttons' would be ridiculously unusable.  No, I'm sure Sir Ive has better game than that.   This one looks like it was designed by some out-of-work ex-zune designer.  No offense to the artists 3D modeling skills - those are decent enough.

• Reply 30 of 67
    miishamiisha Posts: 6member

Nice render, but where is headphone jack?

• Reply 31 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zequ View Post

The shuffle is absolutely the best iPod for running.  I own a few other iPods and an iPhone, but the shuffle, with it's super simple controls that i don't need to look at, light weight and cheap enough price that i don't care if i lose it on a run, make it a must have for me and my most used music device.  If they discontinued it tomorrow, i would buy a few to keep in case anything happens to my current one  (Which has lasted for years by the way.)

I'm not saying it's a bad device, or that it's not handy for runners etc.  I'm just saying that Apple should stop making it and let the other manufacturers pick up the slack.

It's kind of like Porsche making garbage trucks.  There's nothing wrong with garbage trucks, and Porsche's hypothetical garbage truck would probably one of the best there was, but ....  it still makes no kind of sense for Porsche to make garbage trucks.  

• Reply 32 of 67

Looks like a Zune.

• Reply 33 of 67
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I wonder if the existing design (or something like it) will become the new iPod Shuffle.

I was thinking the same. I was hoping they would turn the Nano into a proper watch sized device with wireless headphone support - but I guess they could always do this with the Shuffle.

The only reason I can think of that they would change the Nano like so is if they were planning a major upgrade to the Touch - bigger hard drive to replace the Classic, bigger screen, etc. That way the new shape Nano would replace the entry level Touch models.

• Reply 34 of 67
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Disappointed if true. Was really hoping they'd continue to develop the current square design as a wearable accessory for iOS devices and Macs.

Seriously? In the nearly two years the current design has been around, I've seen exactly 2 "in the wild". I actually see more iPod minis (yes, "mini") than the current nano design. The current nano is, in my opinion, 2nd only to the buttonless shuffle as the worst iPod designs. Sure, maybe it's cute and fashionable to some folks, but from a practicality and functionality standpoint they were both quite bad designs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightcmech View Post

It's the iPhone Nano.  For people with iPad's who don't feel the need to have two different 4+ inch screens.

I was thinking with Verizon's new Share Everything plans, and iPhone nano coupled with an iPad or something similar would be tempting. You can take whichever devices you need at any particular time. Don't need the big screen and full capabilities, just need something small and light, just grab the iPhone nano and go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zequ View Post

Spot on! I bought and extra shuffle when the buttonless shuffle was announced because I knew that design was going to be a failure. Luckily for those who didn't "stock up" Apple went back to the old design (essentially). I was tempted to do that same with the 5th gen nano when the current design was released, but the prices were too steep to buy what essentially would be a backup device. (Very telling, if you watched Amazon marketplace and eBay when the current design started shipping, the prices of the discontinued design actually went up as people realized how silly the new nano was.)

• Reply 35 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I was thinking the same. I was hoping they would turn the Nano into a proper watch sized device with wireless headphone support - but I guess they could always do this with the Shuffle.

The only reason I can think of that they would change the Nano like so is if they were planning a major upgrade to the Touch - bigger hard drive to replace the Classic, bigger screen, etc. That way the new shape Nano would replace the entry level Touch models.

It never made sense to me about iPod Classic and the iPod Nano if the iPod Nano is supposed to be a mini version of iPod Classic then how come they are nothing alike.If the axe is coming it shouldn't necessarily kill the iPod Classic but they should rename Touch to just iPod that way the nano could stand as a mini version of the iPod (Touch). The iPod Classic is a good product but they should put an even bigger hard drive on it. It's main purpose is for space but with even more they could rename it something iPod Ultimate, it would have the most space out of any of the iPod's.

• Reply 36 of 67
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member

The current Nano is the best iPod I've owned for running. It's small enough to fit in any pocket, can be clipped to a shirt or shorts and can be easily controlled via its buttons for everything I need (shuffle forward and volume). It also has built-in Nike+ (no dongle required) and I even use the radio occasionally. As for video, I own a previous generation Nano and have rarely used the video recorder, so don't miss it. Hope Apple keeps the current Nano around. It's not for everyone but it certainly fills a useful niche.

• Reply 37 of 67
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Brilliant, so neither the tactile controls of the old Nanos, nor the small size of the current one. Just brilliant. 

If this is true, it seems they really don't know what to do with the Nano anymore, it lost its buttons and got small, now it's going back. 

Unlikely, but to make it worth any consideration to me it would need a price drop, otherwise the Sansa Clip line does everything the Nano is good for far cheaper. 

• Reply 38 of 67
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, given that feature phones are completely worthless and you can get an iPhone free on contract (or for a few hundred with PAYG).

WRONG !!

Feature phones are not completely worthless.  If you want your child to have a phone without the expensive data plan, you give him or her a feature phone.  Data charges can get very expensive if no limits are placed on usage.  Parents are always looking for a phone that they can give a child for making calls and sending messages (preferably through iMessage) but one that does not require a data plan.  Furthermore, feature phones are big in many foreign countries because of their cost.  That is why they comprise (as Robert Mark said) 62% of the worldwide market.

It's about time Apple introduced a feature phone.  I am sure it will sell in the millions.

• Reply 39 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    applegreen wrote: »
    If you want your child to have a phone without the expensive data plan, you give him or her a feature phone.

I've seen tons of families give iPhones to their children (teens, etc.) when obviously the child has no way of paying for the phone on his own. That doesn't seem to be a concern.
    It's about time Apple introduced a feature phone.  I am sure it will sell in the millions.

It would be the worst decision made at Apple since before Steve's return.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would be the worst decision made at Apple since before Steve's return.

You can say what you want.  Your opinions have always been worthless.