• Reply 61 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gtr wrote: »
    LL

• Reply 62 of 133
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Is it just me, or does Ballmer remind anybody else of Monty Python's quadriplegic Black Knight, screaming at Apple:  "Come back here  you coward; I'll bite your ankles off!"

This!  (Except it was legs...even better.)

• Reply 63 of 133
    zoolook wrote: »
    He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere"

That's not really innovation at all, which really confirms what is obvious about Balmer. He doesn't understand innovation at all.

In fact, the entire statement just screams "we're going to follow Apple everywhere and stifle their innovation wherever we can".  He really is a monkey.

What, me innovate?
    Embrace, extend, extinguish.
    That's the Microsoft way.

I don't dismiss a threat from Microsoft, however. They don't give up, except in the case of KIN. And Zune. And PlaysForSure. They innovate by buying other companies that innovate. And Ballmer is a survivor. Somehow, the board of directors seems to like him.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Original quote... "Ballmer said Microsoft intends to make it "absolutely clear" that the company plans to compete in any market against Apple, according to CRN. He said Microsoft plans to "innovate everywhere" and bring its partners along for the ride."

Considering the recent Surface** announcement debacle, I interpret it more like... "take its partners for a ride."

** After the 1st quarter sales shipped figures, probably renamed "Surplus".

lol! image

• Reply 65 of 133
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

Translation:  "We've never been able to come up with anything on our own, and never will, therefore we'll just copy everything Apple does and claim ours is original and/or better."

• Reply 66 of 133
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    One word: Zune
  • Reply 67 of 133

Perhaps if Ballmer had taken this attitude - instead of being so dismissive of the iPhone - back in 2007, Microsoft wouldn't be in the mess they're in today.

RIM basically took the same attitude back then too and the company is now probably doomed because of it. Microsoft are just lucky they have other revenue streams to fall back on.

• Reply 69 of 133
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

But of course they will. Microsoft has always had that mentality. They think they have to compete in every single market. It worked out for them for awhile, but the loss of focus hurt them in the long term. Apple is only in a few markets. But what markets it does compete in, it does well, partly because of focus. Ballmer needs to compete in the ability to focus on doing a few things well. (As an aside, Microsoft's compulsive need to have a thumb in every orifice of the body electric seems very much like Google's)

• Reply 70 of 133
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

I understand the Washington Generals have named Ballmer honorary captain.

• Reply 71 of 133
    bobdylanbobdylan Posts: 37member
    His comment implies that MS would re-launch Zune..

Also theres markets wihin markets : Zune 2? Zune nano? Zune shuffle ?

I can't wait for the MicrosoftTV!!
  • Reply 72 of 133
    ronbo wrote: »
    But of course they will. Microsoft has always had that mentality. They think they have to compete in every single market. It worked out for them for awhile, but the loss of focus hurt them in the long term. Apple is only in a few markets. But what markets it does compete in, it does well, partly because of focus. Ballmer needs to compete in the ability to focus on doing a few things well. (As an aside, Microsoft's compulsive need to have a thumb in every orifice of the body electric seems very much like Google's)

+1 Insightful.
  • Reply 73 of 133
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 109member

Apple: "Our focus is the customer. Our mission is to delight the customer."

Microsoft: "Our focus is Apple. Our mission is to compete with Apple."

Really, this says it all.

• Reply 74 of 133
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 109member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yet they couldn't come up with a picture that looks better than a drivers' license photo?

Sorry. That was the best of the lot.

• Reply 75 of 133
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    It's interesting to note how Ballmer's line on competing with Apple has changed over the years. In 2007, when the first iPhone came out, he dismissed it out of hand. He assured an interviewer that the iPhone would die a quick and painful death and that Apple "won't sell more than 500" of them. He then went on to boast how Microsoft had already been in the mobile phone business for years and their phones were far cheaper and covered a whole range of models. An upstart like Apple wasn't even a contender.

Fast forward to today, and Ballmer is no longer bragging about how they're the 500 lb. gorilla in the marketplace. Instead he makes a lot of noise about how MS is going to play catch-up with Apple. How the mighty have fallen.
  • Reply 76 of 133

Remember when Microsoft held the Windows 7 Parade/iPhone Funeral?

MS iPhone Funeral

Windows Buries the Competition

• Reply 77 of 133
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    [QUOTE]Steve Ballmer says Microsoft plans to compete with Apple in every market[/QUOTE]

When I was young I planned to be rich and be surrounded by young, sexy, bi-sexual chicks that loved me for me. I think my plan is more likely to pan out than Ballmer's is.
  • Reply 78 of 133
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member

I suppose SB is just trying to placate angry shareholders, but I can't for the life of me figure out WHY he wants to "compete with Apple in every market".  Apple didn't get where it is today by competing in existing markets.  It got there by creating NEW markets. If SB really wanted to grow MS from where it is today, they shouldn't be "apeing" (there's the requisite monkey reference..sorta...leave me alone primate biologists! ;) ) in markets where Apple has a huge lead, they should be out creating insanely great products that we never knew we needed.  If I owned much MS stock at all, that would be the message I'd be sending.

Oh well...if SB was innovative, they wouldn't be playing catch-up.

• Reply 79 of 133
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Uncle Fester is at the helm. Maybe he will create a new colored light bulb for his mouth. That will be innovation for this moron who has canabalised and run microsoft into its current state of mediocrity[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171471/width/400/height/300][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171471/width/400/height/300[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 80 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

Fatboy's obsessed.

He's gonna widen his stance... So, Microsoft is going to re-zune selling music players?