Microsoft says Surface tablet is 'just a design point'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Dudes, This looks like typical Microsoft bullying behavior to me. Take a position, and then back off when you get a pant load of telephone calls texts emails and messages from your technology "partners".

"Oh, it was just a reference design. You didn't really think we were going to manufacture these did you? So sorry, my bad!"

Yer bad, dudeMonkey, or MonkeyDude. Whatevs.
  • Reply 22 of 84

And Dick Cheney only shot his hunting partner in the face 'by accident.'

• Reply 23 of 84

Didn't I read just a few hours ago that Steve Balmer said Microsoft would be competing in all areas with Apple? That means manufacturing computers of all kinds. Now he is saying the Surface is just a design point.

I think the man is insane. Several things are clear after this report. Steve Balmer has no idea where to take Microsoft. He is spinning in circles hoping to find a life line that will save his job. Steve Balmer has proven himself to be a liar. If the general public who pay attention to computer news can see this plain as day, then you know the CEOs of computer manufacturers know he is a liar.

Why haven't they gotten together and contacted the board of directors of Microsoft and demanded he be fired? I think Steve Balmer must have incriminating evidence of each board member and Bill Gates doing something illegal. I can think of no other reason why he has lasted this long in that position. Can you?

Is Steve Balmer so good a lying that he gets the board of directors to believe everything he says? Something isn't right.

Today I updated my Vista OS to Service Pack 3 so I could install IE 9. A company I work for needed me to use their site that requires Internet Explorer 8 or newer. After going through all of that with multiple restarts IE 9 seemed OK until it crashed and wouldn't open again no matter what I did. So I did a system restore and reverted to pre SP3 without IE 9. I HATE MICROSOFT SO MUCH! I wish I could throw a truck load of crap on their building but the crap would be more valuable than their whole campus. My overall Vista Experience Level is in negative numbers.

• Reply 24 of 84
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I don't think OEMs are buying this line.
    MS is doing damage-ccntrol here. But really, there's no place OEMs can go *but* to MS.
    By choosing to run someone's whored-out, shitastic OS years ago, OEMs have painted themselves into a corner, and so has MS . . . just a little differently.

Now Ballmer wants everyone to buy the line that this was a "reference design" that they kept secret from many of their hardware partners? No, Ballmer, the bicycle doesn't go backwards if you backpedal furiously.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Yes, Viginia you can only use the Surface on landscape mode.

That kind of limit the usefulness of the Surface.

Besides an iPad is more versatile with a Bluetooth keyboard than one with a magnetic keyboard.

Designed with limitations, kind of sad for a company which refuse to move beyond the laptop mode.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    And Dick Cheney only shot his hunting partner in the face 'by accident.'

Epic first post¿
  • Reply 27 of 84
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Now Ballmer wants everyone to buy the line that this was a "reference design" that they kept secret from many of their hardware partners? No, Ballmer, the bicycle doesn't go backwards if you backpedal furiously.

It's been clear to me for a while that much of MS's success is due the the bumbling of their competition... Kaypro, Lotus, IBM, SCO, Apple, Novell, Borland, DEC, Ashton-Tate, Sun Micro, et al.. Props to Intel for keeping it agnostic.

Edit: And I see an ad promoting Internet Explorer during the MLB All-Star game? Do people that use IE know that IE is NOT the Internet?
  • Reply 28 of 84
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    va_plinker wrote: »
    There is a squeeze on profits happening and it leaves MS with no options but to get the whole pie.  They can't afford to split any of it with the OEMs.  

I'm confused... is the Windows software division at Microsoft losing money?

So will that force Microsoft into the PC hardware business?
  • Reply 29 of 84
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

If it's "just a design point" comment is true, then it's business as usual.

Expect more of "me too" and barely-qualifies-as-mediocre products to flood the market.

• Reply 30 of 84
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Im convinced the surface is vaporware or  "just a design point", never intended to be manufactured by MS the same as Intel's Ultra book design was intended to drum up excitement to compete with the MB Air. That  he says it "was created for hardware makers to reference as a kind of halo device" make all their bluster from a couple weeks ago bullshit. They got all the media attention they desired and now think they are as savvy as Steve Jobs in marketing.

The problems with it being made by MS and then supposed used as a reference by the OEM's is idiotic as everyone knows they will not be able to compete unless MS gives Windows 8 away for free.

• Reply 31 of 84
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member
    va_plinker wrote: »
    Surface will place MS in the unusual place of have higher priced product than Apple... just wait.

MS pretty much confirmed that when they introduced their vaporware product saying it would be priced comparable to Ultrabook PCs (43:40 mark):

(Although the best part starts at 13:30)

Report: Microsoft's Intel-powered Surface to Cost $1000

However the price should drop once they start being offered by Woot!
  • Reply 32 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm confused... is the Windows software division at Microsoft losing money?

So will that force Microsoft into the PC hardware business?

Right. Because the money in greener on the PC hardware side. image

• Reply 33 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Right. Because the money in greener on the PC hardware side. :lol:

That's because they haven't really made any since before our money got the multicolored makeover.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I honestly believe that the MS stock price would spike up if it were announced or even rumored that Balmer got hit by a truck.  What a maroon.

• Reply 35 of 84
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

This either disingenuous or MS traditionalists have successfully suppressed an effort at disruptive innovation from within the company. If it is the former, then trust will wither as to a certain extent it has. Recall this was not shared with hardware partners and do the seeds have been planted. If its the latter, then once again MS has not had the courage of its convictions, this is what doomed the first tablet and phone.

No doubt - totally Ballmered. Piss off the OEMs and then announce they'll bail on customers too.  Nobody in their right mind would want to pick a tablet up with guaranteed lack of support in short order... Of course, that sounds like most PCs and Android devices, so maybe their users won't notice?

• Reply 36 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Ballmer and company are full of it. They say one thing in the morning and do 180 in the afternoon.

So does that mean OEM are allowed to create exact clones of the Surface?!

even if they are allowed, I hope they don't. Consumers need variety and choice after all. It's that the argument. If everyone is just going to make their thin magwhatever it was case with a kickstand etc where's the choice

• Reply 37 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS would love if you started calling it the God Tablet?

probably, since that would mean they beat the iPad since it was just called the Jesus Tablet 

• Reply 38 of 84
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Here weeeeeeeee goooooo again!

I knew it I knew it!

And them clowns over at Google said that 7 inch they have is juts a reference piece also. Ha ha!

• Reply 39 of 84

Press: "How do your OEM partners feel about Microsoft getting into the hardware business?"

Ballmer: "No comment."

Yup, clearly that's how you create a "design point" for your OEMs.

• Reply 40 of 84
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

I can't help but wonder how many lives this MS fat-cat (Ballmer) has and has used. They definitely need new leadership with a clear vision and an openness to discussing breaking MS's various parts into separate businesses.