WSJ: Amazon testing smartphones with 4-5" displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    red oak wrote: »
    If I were Foxconn, I'd think long and hard about arming the competitor of my biggest strategic customer

Apple doesn't own Foxconn and can't dictate who they work for. All they can do is demand that Foxconn keeps their mouths shut. Just like the other 70 or so clients would demand.

If Foxconn refused to do business with someone that was an Apple competitor they might as well sell out to Apple cause that would be basically they only one they could do business with.
  • Reply 22 of 39

Looks like a rouge Android will keep living on in the Amazon wilds. This is fragmentation biting hard.

• Reply 23 of 39
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Why not just install Skype on a Chromebook and hold it up to your head?

• Reply 24 of 39
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I agree. I won't touch that stock with a barge pole. One day investors will be in for a nasty shock.

in the meantime I shorted AAPL yesterday and today for a sizeable gain..p/e for internet companies do not matter

• Reply 25 of 39
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    New phone accessory: wheeled cart to carry yor 50" plasma screen non-iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here we go again, another company who has grown as big as they will get and trying to figure new ways to bring in revenue. As typical they are venturing into areas where they have no real experience with. They will fail, but then again, they may not if they plan as I suspect, they will be giving the hardware away and there are plenty of people looking for hand outs (our entire entitlement society) who will take the phone and be advertise to and buy other Amazon product. So how many companies have expanded into ears where they have no real experience of knowledge only to fail at it.

In reality, do you think it is a phone or another Kindle fire with Cellular modem for data like the iPads.

• Reply 27 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    daylove22 wrote: »
    in the meantime I shorted AAPL yesterday and today for a sizeable gain..p/e for internet companies do not matter

Please keep on doing that. It's folks like you that helped my AAPL grow from $70 to over $600. Believe me I don't mind the small ups and downs along the way.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Please keep on doing that. It's folks like you that helped my AAPL grow from $70 to over $600. Believe me I don't mind the small ups and downs along the way.

I wouldn't call them small and I wouldn't say we are done for the year (downs) but I can almost guarantee that the holiday quarter is going to crank AAPL to well over $700.

Meanwhile... Amazon's smartphone should make it about as much money as the Kindle Fire... and, yes, I know Amazon tells us they make money on after market sales (I find it hard to even write that with a straight face).

• Reply 29 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

New phone accessory: wheeled cart to carry yor 50" plasma screen non-iPhone.

That is just an exaggeration. Just because you are too used to a smaller device, doesn't mean that there are those who could do with something larger. Sometimes I really wish they made bigger iPhones.

• Reply 30 of 39
    jbhoulejbhoule Posts: 20member

Amazon, Google, and perhaps Facebook. It's just the beginning. More phones and tablets coming soon from Yahoo, Microsoft/Bing, Walmart, Twitter and your local convenience store. Crazy? Maybe. But if it works for Google and Amazon, why not the others?

How all of this will turn out is an interesting question. Will the cost of developing devices that are even modestly competitive with Apple's products, and selling them at cost or below, provide enough returns through additional product sales for Amazon, advertising revenue for Google and so on? It may work for Google, but I have doubts about Amazon benefiting significantly.

It's interesting that after all the moaning about Apple's "walled garden", that the other guys now want to cultivate their own. Will this stop with phones and tablets, I wonder? With TV moving toward the forefront of digital connectivity, will we see Amazon, Google, and others offering internet connected HD flat panel sets? That seems extreme, but if TVs become the centerpiece of home internet connectivity, perhaps it's in the cards. H'mm, Amazon 55"  HD TVs for $500, complete with crawling adds across the bottom of the screen.

I'm not convinced that this business model will work with mobile devices, let alone TVs. But the tech marketplace is always full of surprises. The one thing I'm willing to bet on is Apple continuing to command most of the profits in the industry. Of course, Apple too could subsidize their hardware in ways similar to Google and Amazon. Hard to imagine, but as someone said a few years ago, "the future is long".

• Reply 31 of 39
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member

It's hard to see what Amazon could really bring to the table here. With tablets, they could subsidize the device with the hope that users would buy a bunch of stuff on the tablets that they might not have bought on their home computers or other tablets. With phones, it's harder to imagine their subsidy paying off. Phones aren't as useful for consuming content, and general shopping is a lot less fun on a phone than on something with a bigger screen. Maybe something else, like they've figured out a way to make money from some kind of NFC payment scheme? More likely, if this rumor is true, they saw how many tablets they were selling, misunderstood why they were popular, and thought this could translate into a viable phone strategy.

I agree with the rest of you who think Amazon's valuation is ridiculous.

• Reply 32 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    For all the odd maneuvering I'm glad to see Amazon do it. It's at least much better than all these other companies that spend year-after-year, decade-after-decade doing nothing to expand their level or knowledge and expertise. Most just do the same old things [S]hoping[/S] expecting it to continuing working indefinitely. Regardless of anything else we have to give Amazon credit for that.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member

OMG- so now Amazon is "stealing" from Samsung besides Apple-

Oh the HORROR!

BTW- who invented "one-click" shopping?

• Reply 34 of 39
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the heels of last week's report that Amazon is working on a smartphone, another mainstream media outlet claims the retailer is already testing handsets sized between four and five inches and could begin mass production of a device as early as late 2012. [...]

Hey Amazon!

Here's a time-and-money-saving tip: don't build your own smartphone.  Just buy Nokia and hack the Lumia 900 to run Android 4.1.

You'll achieve the same result either way: negligible market share, embarrassingly poor sales, red ink, and an early product end-of-life.

But exploiting Nokia would be cheaper and would result in a smaller carbon footprint.  One dying smartphone line is more efficient than two.

• Reply 35 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Hey Amazon!

Here's a time-and-money-saving tip: don't build your own smartphone.  Just buy Nokia and hack the Lumia 900 to run Android 4.1.

You'll achieve the same result either way: negligible market share, embarrassingly poor sales, red ink, and an early product end-of-life.
    But exploiting Nokia would be cheaper and would result in a smaller carbon footprint.  One dying smartphone line is more efficient than two.

They've been working with the Kindle eReaders in the HW and SW and services for years now. Those have gotten considerably better over the years, too. Even the difference from the 1st to 2nd gen was pretty extreme. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Kindle Fire follows the same path. To me that shows they have an understanding of Linux on all their devices and Android for their Fire. I don't think it's too crazy that Amazon will be able to build a competent phone in a couple years. I certainly think it's better than them buying other failing companies unless it's for the IP because the effort to use their staff would seem too overwhelming and unnecessary at this point.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member

"Amazon is likely to follow the same model it put forth with the Kindle Fire…"

…and substantially subsidize the cost of the devices to gain an immediate (and artificial) advantage in the market.

• Reply 37 of 39
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    I guess Amazon didn't lose enough money on the Kindle Fizzle. What US carrier is going to give an 'Amazon' phone priority or shelf space over the iphone or flagship Android phones? Maybe Cricket.

Hell, Target told Amazon to F#@k off after Amazon tried to scam them. Amazon should stick to selling cheap products online. It's what they are good at.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Hey Amazon!

Part way there. Amazon's convinced Microsoft's Windows Phone Director to jump ship and come to work with them.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154272/robert-williams-former-windows-phone-director-joins-amazon

• Reply 39 of 39
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Part way there. Amazon's convinced Microsoft's Windows Phone Director to jump ship and come to work with them.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154272/robert-williams-former-windows-phone-director-joins-amazon

Or maybe the Amazon phone will drop Android for Windows Phone 8? Not as much of a stretch as one might first think. There is any number of Asian handset manufacturers who could build a phone for Amazon. Amazon has no need to buy a faltering company. Ah, but Microsoft needs to expand WP8's exposure. It would be worth it to Microsoft to give Amazon a very attractive deal. The real question is, IMHO, is Microsoft smart enough to make such a move?