Can i use iphone without service?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23

Just checking in on any updates to this thread. 

I have an iPhone 4 that I've had for two years, and my contract is now done with AT&T. 

I'd like to cancel my subscription/plan with AT&T and use a text/voice app over wi-fi, and I'm wondering if I'll run into any roadblocks. 

My friend suggested requesting AT&T 'unlock' my phone before/while disconnecting my service with them. 

thoughts? -Thanks

• Reply 22 of 23

If your contract is up, ATT will unlock the phone at no charge to you... definitely have that done, as it increases the value of the phone slightly. (and makes it easier to sell if you decide to do that in the future.)

But once you remove the sim (or even leave it in, but cancel service), the phone will still work perfectly, you just won't have access to ATT's service (phone calls, cellular texting, cellular data) ... EVERYTHING else will work just fine.

But keep the sim around... if you ever want to totally erase the phone to like-new condition, I believe you'll need a sim to get it through the set-up screens... it doesn't have to be a valid sim; an expired/cancelled one will do.

• Reply 23 of 23

excellent, thankyou