SoHo Apple Store to reopen Saturday with bigger Genius Bar, more seating

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday began sending out invitations to customers for the grand reopening of its SoHo store this Saturday, July 14, at 10 a.m.

"The Apple Store, SoHo, is completely redesigned and better than ever," the note sent to customers reads. "There are more than twice as many products available for you to try.

"A new state-of-the-art theater with extra seating is the perfect place to enjoy events and workshops. We?ve added New York?s first Briefing Room, where you can get to know our Business Team. Even the Genius Bar is bigger, so it?s easier than ever to get an appointment."

The company also revealed that the first 3,000 customers who visit the new SoHo Apple Store will take home a free commemorative t-shirt.

The new SoHo store utilizes a 5,000-square-foot retail space that was formerly occupied by the U.S. Postal Service. The extra space brings the store more inline with the other, larger Apple retail stores found in New York City.

Apple went as far as building a temporary $1.4 million location in 2011 to service customers while its popular SoHo store underwent major renovations. The temporary location was housed in the same neighborhood on New York City's Greene Street.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

@Soli

Time to jump on a plane to get that t-shirt

• Reply 2 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's amazing how under utilized the Genius Bar started to how important it is today. Also, it's simply amazing how little software remains on any store shelf.

mstone wrote: »
    @Soli

Time to jump on a plane to get that t-shirt

¿Que? Am I missing something? I've never gone to a grand opening and the only Apple T-shirt I've ever received came with the old $500 Mac developer package, and even then I never wore it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ¿Que? Am I missing something? I've never gone to a grand opening and the only Apple T-shirt I've ever received came with the old $500 Mac developer package, and even then I never wore it.

It's too dang big, you know? Can't pick the size…
  • Reply 4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sorry I thought I remembered you saying a couple years ago that visiting grand openings was one of your hobbies. Must have been someone else.

• Reply 5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's too dang big, you know? Can't pick the size…

Really? I?Code came in XL but still seems a little too small, although XL is usually a perfect fit for me.

• Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Sorry I thought I remembered you saying a couple years ago that visiting grand openings was one of your hobbies. Must have been someone else.

Definitely not me. I have waited in a couple lines for Apple products as the fastest way to obtain the device but I will avoid lines and waiting whenever possible. I certainly would never flay to a city to go to an Apple Store opening. That's just an expensive series of waiting in lines. In fact, in Orwell's future that would probably be my Room 101.

Really? I?Code came in XL but still seems a little too small, although XL is usually a perfect fit for me.

If we pronounce OS X as OS 10 then an Apple shirt size XL means size 40, right? ????
  • Reply 7 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If we pronounce OS X as OS 10 then an Apple shirt size XL means size 40, right? ????

Perhaps that explains why it is too small I wear XLVI

• Reply 8 of 13
    Perhaps that explains why it is too small I wear 46, I mean XLVI

Are shirt sizes made in numbers like pants in some places, or are you just extrapolating from…

Wait, none of this is serious. I seriously need a break from depression… :lol:
  • Reply 9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are shirt sizes made in numbers like pants in some places, or are you just extrapolating from…

Wait, none of this is serious. I seriously need a break from depression… image

46 L suits. Shirts go by neck and sleeve length.

• Reply 10 of 13
    46 L suits. Shirts go by neck and sleeve length.

I guess you can tell that my only suit is my great-grandfather's…
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Probably the best place in NYC to see super models other than a fashion show.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I'm glad to hear that it looks like they're keeping the theatre.   I really thought they would get rid of it in favor of one-on-one training.   Soho had always been my favorite NYC Apple store because of the theatre.  It (in the store before the remodeling) was at the top of the stairs and open so you could pop in for a few minutes, walk out if it got boring, come back,   etc.      Kudos to Apple for keeping it.   If it now has more seats, either the theatre got pushed back into the new adjoining space so they can add more rows at the rear or the staircase got moved.

I always wondered why the re-modelling was taking so long.  It had seemed to me that all they had to was knock down the back wall, renovate the newer areas with matching floors, walls and ceiling and be done.   But from the little I could see when I walked by, it looked like they shelled the place and started over. 

• Reply 13 of 13
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I'm glad to hear that it looks like they're keeping the theatre.   I really thought they would get rid of it in favor of one-on-one training.   Soho had always been my favorite NYC Apple store because of the theatre.  It (in the store before the remodeling) was at the top of the stairs and open so you could pop in for a few minutes, walk out if it got boring, come back,   etc.      Kudos to Apple for keeping it.   If it now has more seats, either the theatre got pushed back into the new adjoining space so they can add more rows at the rear or the staircase got moved.

I always wondered why the re-modelling was taking so long.  It had seemed to me that all they had to was knock down the back wall, renovate the newer areas with matching floors, walls and ceiling and be done.   But from the little I could see when I walked by, it looked like they shelled the place and started over. 

I've always enjoyed the theatre at this store as well. Hope you are right about them keeping it.

The reno did take a long time. But, you know Apple... I'm sure every single thing had to be done to perfection. Seems reasonable, given that it was NYCs first ever Apple Store. I have fond memories of the old days with lines around the block for the earlier releases of OS X. Seems more amazing to me than ever, that there would be huge lines for the sale of an operating system. Good times...