Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: AirPlay Mirroring

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Screw you Apple! 
    When you walk in to Apple store each item there is the LATEST, BEST, most REVOLUTIONARY EVER, two years later you are told by the same company - it is an old crap that not even screen mirroring will work on that! 

For those of you who want to screen mirror the "ancient" MacBook Pro 2010 download "AirParrot" software (demo, full version for $10 or torrent) and VLT player - Free. 
    And guess what? It works 100% even on the old Macbook Pro. 

Out of interest I downloaded AirParrot from the home web site and tried the demo version but it doesn't seem to work on a mid 2010 MBP i7 running 10.7.4. I have both a v2 and v3 Apple TV on line and am networked via an Apple Time Capsule. The menu shows the Apple TVs but the top most item is greyed out and says 'Airplay:connection failed'. Any ideas?

UPDATE AirParrot is awesome for older Macs!

I have a conflict- no idea what. Moving on ...

Booting to an alternate drive I can report that on a MBP i7 2010 AirParrot works flawlessly driving a a 720p movie in .mkv format using VLC full screen to either of my Apple TVs, one a v2 one a v3. Audio and picture excellent, no lag no stutter.
  • Reply 82 of 117
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    If a first-gen iPad can do it, I would think the entirety of Mountain Lion-capable Macs will have no trouble whatsoever, particularly since they can all drive at least one external display connected via wire. I would imagine any third-party software's troubles stem from it being third-party software.

First, a first-gen ipad can't do it. It can do Display mirroring but not Airplay Mirroring, and so far as I know, no third-party app, even in Cydia, has enabled it yet. Second, the ARM chips in the iOS devices may well have superior hardware encoding capabilities than most Intel products prior to QuickSync being introduced. Also, the displays on the iDevices have much lower resolutions making it easier to push the mirror. My old 2007 MBP would struggle to play 1080p or flash videos, I can't imagine it encoding the entirety of tasks I do in OS X in real time, but then again it had no GPU hardware assistance for video playback.

So in short it's easy to just make these grand sweeping claims, but let's look at the actual specifics of the situation before passing judgment. We could run a test, find yourself a Mac you claim should be capable of doing the Airplay mirroring and see if it can encode at 720p or 1080p fairly decently, and in real-time. Airplay mirroring isn't as simple as Display mirroring. I'm not sure you need to encode for your regular display mirroring job, since the computer, so it seems to my naive understanding, can just send the same signal twice, to two different displays. With Airplay Mirroring your computer needs to actually encode everything into a video stream and beam that over to your Apple TV for playback. That's much more complicated and much more intensive.
  • Reply 83 of 117
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Not at all, the app store would be extremely useful. Think of all of the possibilities that could be unlocked, it would certainly increase the use of the device exponentially. 

As to the grand plan it's pretty simple, only those that own the current generation of each hardware model can have the full feature set of the OS, everyone else will just be forced to upgrade and so they hope that sales will increase.

This type of behaviour is very much like Microsoft.

• Reply 84 of 117
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Fascinating : this means you can have an HDTV screen size on your desk, as a monitor, if you wish

• Reply 85 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    saarek wrote: »
    As to the grand plan it's pretty simple, only those that own the current generation of each hardware model can have the full feature set of the OS, everyone else will just be forced to upgrade and so they hope that sales will increase.

Of course. Obviously.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    Tack this up to another "apple artificially differentiates hardware via software" feature. Anybody using a mac where mirroring is not an option to appleTV can just use air parrot to send your desktop display to your TV. Just like the native feature it scales your desktop to fit the HDTV format. And it works quite well. The app is under $20 and its allowed this feature for a very long time now.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    radwansk wrote: »
    Tack this up to another "apple artificially differentiates hardware via software" feature. Anybody using a mac where mirroring is not an option to appleTV can just use air parrot to send your desktop display to your TV. Just like the native feature it scales your desktop to fit the HDTV format. And it works quite well. The app is under $20 and its allowed this feature for a very long time now.

I've heard the performance is actually quite poor, and I am rather pleased with the built-in performance in ML.
  • Reply 88 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Actually this is wrong. Mirrors reverse forward-back. Think of the axis that passes through you perpendicular to the mirror surface. In virtue of reversing forward back they seem to be reversing left and right. This mistake gives rise to the old chestnut: why do mirrors reverse left-right and not up-down?

Most people understand that mirroring is a linguistic derivation from the noun mirror. The 'ing' part should be the first clue that it is indicative conjugation of a verb. Many nouns eventually make their way to being used as verbs. For example if I were to say "I'm googling that right now" you would not take that to mean that I am creating a global search engine company exactly like Google. No, it means I'm using Google, just like mirroring means I'm using a mirror.  Understanding how images appear according to the properties of light has absolutely nothing to do with AirPlay Mirroring which is a product name that 'reflects' a process whereby the image on your computer can be displayed on your HDTV as a copy. I hope this clears up that quandary of why they use the term mirroring to describe an electronic application.

• Reply 89 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    Most people understand that mirroring is a linguistic derivation from the noun mirror. The 'ing' part should be the first clue that it is indicative conjugation of a verb. Many nouns eventually make their way to being used as verbs. For example if I were to say "I'm googling that right now" you would not take that to mean that I am creating a global search engine company exactly like Google. No, it means I'm using Google, just like mirroring means I'm using a mirror.  Understanding how images appear according to the properties of light has absolutely nothing to do with AirPlay Mirroring which is a product name that 'reflects' a process whereby the image on your computer can be displayed on your HDTV as a copy. I hope this clears up that quandary of why they use the term mirroring to describe an electronic application.

Indeed and to drive home your point, in psychology mirroring means to imitate or copy. When a person mirrors another they are not doing it in reverse, backwards or upside down /chuckle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirroring_(psychology)

It's a shame the folks being pedantic about the term mirroring hijacked an important thread IMHO.
  • Reply 90 of 117
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    umrk_lab wrote: »
    Fascinating : this means you can have an HDTV screen size on your desk, as a monitor, if you wish
    What is "HDTV screen size"? Big?
    And why would you want a big screen (with same or lower resolution) on your desk?
  • Reply 91 of 117
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    What is "HDTV screen size"? Big?
    And why would you want a big screen (with same or lower resolution) on your desk?

For fun, just for fun ..

Note that flat screen HDTVs are now pretty cheap, and that gives you plenty of choices for size. I also note that in most companies, meeting rooms are equipped with projectors which are expensive and poorly maintained, which could in most cases be replaced by an HDTV screen , at much lower price.
  • Reply 92 of 117
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If our eyes were placed top/bottom instead of left/right would mirrors then have the perpendicular effect?

Well just tilt your head and try. :)

The full explanation goes something like this. Mirrors only reverse the axis that is perpendicular to the mirror, they completely leave alone the up-down arrow and the left-right arrows. But we treat a mirror as though we were looking at someone looking at us and thus we imagine that we have been rotated into that position in a sweep through the horizontal plane. Rotating into that position would reverse the left-right arrow as well as the forward-back arrow. So when we apply that mistaken idea to the mirror image it seems like left-right have been reversed, but it is simply that we have a mistaken expectation based on thinking of the wrong transformation.

• Reply 93 of 117
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wasn't the one questioning the use of the term 'mirroring'.  I am perfectly happy with it. I was simply derailing the thread with maths, instead of the usual politics.

• Reply 94 of 117
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Oh f*** off "special hardware" my rear end. MBP 13" 2010 here. Pfft. Whatever. Mark my words, the PC is dead. iOS will lead Apple to a new glory, with Scott Forstall as CEO when the time is right.

My MBP 13" 2010 and ACD 27" will now be "relegated" for RetinaDesign™ work. All hail our new iOS overlords.

*Bugger http://www.retinadesign.dk/ already got the term RetinaDesign
  • Reply 95 of 117
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    umrk_lab wrote: »

The desktop is dead.
  • Reply 96 of 117
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Removed... Stupid post
  • Reply 97 of 117
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

I'm sorry but what would your os plan be? Should we make the os so underwhelming that ... 80% of the installed hardware base can be 100% feature rich with a brand new os revision? How about 70%? 60%??

I dunno about anyone else but I want OS X to push the envelope I want it to stress older hardware... It's a good thing to me!

And getting all wound up because one single/significant feature isn't supported is just sour grapes. Each time we make a hardware purchase we're opening ourselves up to eventual obsolescence. Sometimes it takes 6 years before OS features go unsupported other times it's 6 months.

Just ask Mr. Murphy or Charles Brown ... It's always 6 months for them if your overall track record is better/longer than that you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones!
  • Reply 98 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Not at all, the app store would be extremely useful. Think of all of the possibilities that could be unlocked, it would certainly increase the use of the device exponentially. 

You're being absurd. I'm disappointed by the limitation, but I don't think a lot of people are going to buy a brand new machine to get AirPlay mirroring. There just might be something to this limitation, while there may be a hardware h.264 encoder in older GPU chips, I don't think all GPU features are all available in all modes of operation.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not at all, the app store would be extremely useful.

What, on the Apple TV? It's pointless. Leave the apps and storage thereof on the iDevices you use as remotes/controllers. Have the Apple TV be the vessel therefor.
    Think of all of the possibilities that could be unlocked, it would certainly increase the use of the device exponentially. 

Strange, though, that you can't seem to think of even one.
  • Reply 100 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What, on the Apple TV? It's pointless.

As a way to add video channels to the AppleTV, that might be pretty nice. It wouldn't be the same kind of apps though.