124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

https://live.leapmotion.com/about.html

Here's a classic quote from the leap motion web site:

It’s like being able to reach into the computer and pull out information as easily as reaching into a cookie jar.

The first time I saw the Leap presentation was earlier this year and I had an interesting reaction to it. Seeing it again now, some months later, I still had the same reaction again, which is this:

I like it in theory. It's a fairly exciting concept in one sense…  Just the notion of waving my hands around in space and the stuff I imagine happening, actually want or intuitively expect to happen on a screen, just happens…? That's pretty cool!

But there's a niggling problem, and I had the same problematic sense while watching Tom Cruise going through his futuristic computer-interaction motions in Minority Report… it forms into a question. "How long can you continuously keep your arms moving around in extended, elevated and unsupported positions like that before your entire body begins to complain?"

Viewing the attached Leap video again in that context, I noted that it shows lots of things I'd love to participate in doing, but when I imagine doing any of them as a continuous stream of activity for say, an hour? My arms get tired just thinking about it! I'd be resting my elbows on the table pretty often, but then the motions become a lot more limited and wrist-based…

I tried it here at home, imagining that I'm waving around in front of my 27" iMac display, and you know? I can't do what they're doing and keep my elbows on the desk much… so after about a full minute of that "extended, elevated and unsupported arm pointing", I was definitely ready to revert to the mouse…!

Call me lazy, but I'm not sure it's quite there as a full mouse+keyboard replacement yet…

• Reply 62 of 67
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    The first time I saw the Leap presentation was earlier this year and I had an interesting reaction to it. Seeing it again now, some months later, I still had the same reaction again, which is this:

I like it in theory. It's a fairly exciting concept in one sense…  Just the notion of waving my hands around in space and the stuff I imagine happening, actually want or intuitively expect to happen on a screen, just happens…? That's pretty cool!

But there's a niggling problem, and I had the same problematic sense while watching Tom Cruise going through his futuristic computer-interaction motions in Minority Report… it forms into a question. "How long can you continuously keep your arms moving around in extended, elevated and unsupported positions like that before your entire body begins to complain?"

Viewing the attached Leap video again in that context, I noted that it shows lots of things I'd love to participate in doing, but when I imagine doing any of them as a continuous stream of activity for say, an hour? My arms get tired just thinking about it! I'd be resting my elbows on the table pretty often, but then the motions become a lot more limited and wrist-based…

I tried it here at home, imagining that I'm waving around in front of my 27" iMac display, and you know? I can't do what they're doing and keep my elbows on the desk much… so after about a full minute of that "extended, elevated and unsupported arm pointing", I was definitely ready to revert to the mouse…!

Call me lazy, but I'm not sure it's quite there as a full mouse+keyboard replacement yet…

I appreciate what you're saying!

But, in their description, they say they can replace the mouse and keyboard. I assume that a technology as precise as this could be mapped to a flat surface like a table top and detect finger movement analogous to typing or mousing.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    It's funny how the so-called tech nerds refuse to accept reality. They move from one topic to another hoping to find the magic bullet that will finally kill Apple. The latest argument is how a tablet running full Windows will decimate the iPad in business. The netbooks were to be the magic bullet, then the ultrabooks, then the Fire and now the Nexus 7. Just jump from one Apple killer to the next hoping against hope. It really is all about Apple with these people isn't it.

If AAPL's financial results are once again spectacular, as expected, we'll start hearing the "wait till such-and-such comes out" arguments almost immediately.

No...! Surface and Windows 8 will kill the iPad! /s ...Really, who the heck are these tech kids infesting AI and Engadget, etc. with all this Android and Windows nonsense. Clearly Google for Tablet and Windows + PCs is not looking good for 2012-2015 relative to the iPad, no matter what the nerd fantasy is. I'm getting sick of it really, Gizmodo and Engadget used to be fun. Now it's full of rubbish gizmos and gadgets. Maybe I'm just growing up. I just don't understand it. If they are so bl**dy hardcore then use some open-source Linux phone or something.
  • Reply 64 of 67

Vapour. Kinect can detect maybe arm and leg waving, that's about it. Anything else, nothing close to the spatial resolution that is needed.

The acid test is a computer that can recognise sign language without much training. Then motion detection has a place. Some things are R&D, which is great. But modern tech has a habit of churning everything from R&D into the world in a bid for hype and money, without seeing it through with the real discipline that is required.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    addabox wrote: »
    This may be the endgame for Microsoft's famous culture of silo-ed competitors working at cross purposes. A shotgun marriage of components that just don't fit together all that well.  If their tablet thing doesn't take off, they're done.  They can keep selling gradually fewer Windows 8 licenses and continue to see the gradual erosion of their OS hegemony, and it will be slow, but without a credible touch solution that actually works well, they're on the wrong end of a losing bet.

It is possible that Windows & Office will carry Microsoft through for another 10 years. But unless there is specific new earth-shaking stuff, which could but is unlikely to happen... This is basically the peak of Microsoft. It could be 5, 10, 15 or 20 years... But this is it. End game indeed.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Vapour. Kinect can detect maybe arm and leg waving, that's about it. Anything else, nothing close to the spatial resolution that is needed.
    The acid test is a computer that can recognise sign language without much training. Then motion detection has a place. Some things are R&D, which is great. But modern tech has a habit of churning everything from R&D into the world in a bid for hype and money, without seeing it through with the real discipline that is required.

Um... except for Apple that is. Please see the newly released pictures of the iPad in development in ~ 2002.

http://www.zdnet.com/has-intel-found-the-ultrabook-pricing-sweet-spot-at-699-7000001079/
    The article above is also painting a slightly different picture than that imagined by Microsoft. That is, that the "Click-Click-Keyboard" (that doesn't work yet) and The "Snap-Snap-Kickstand" is the KEY features to success.

Article Quote: Otellini also specified that at least more than 40 of the approximately 140 Ivy Bridge-based Ultrabooks in the pipeline will be touch-enabled with another dozen released as convertibles. Thus, at least some of those could steal away tablet sales.

The above mentioned products are supposed to arrive, with Win8 and Office 13, for the holidays. Win "Suffice" Pro isn't expected until Feb.-March 2013.

Could the OEMs kill the idea before MS even gets the "coal in the oven" on those trains of theirs?

Other forms of touch, as well as from a very close partner to Apple:

Corning - A Day Made of Glass

Corning - A Day Made of Glass - Unpacked

... and an interesting prototype of an iPhone, with multiple videos:

... Oh my! The implications and ideas that come to mind:

• Reply 67 of 67
    Um... except for Apple that is. Please see the newly released pictures of the iPad in development in ~ 2002.
    http://www.zdnet.com/has-intel-found-the-ultrabook-pricing-sweet-spot-at-699-7000001079/
    The article above is also painting a slightly different picture than that imagined by Microsoft. That is, that the "Click-Click-Keyboard" (that doesn't work yet) and The "Snap-Snap-Kickstand" is the KEY features to success.
    Article Quote: Otellini also specified that at least more than 40 of the approximately 140 Ivy Bridge-based Ultrabooks in the pipeline will be touch-enabled with another dozen released as convertibles. Thus, at least some of those could steal away tablet sales.
    The above mentioned products are supposed to arrive, with Win8 and Office 13, for the holidays. Win "Suffice" Pro isn't expected until Feb.-March 2013.
    Could the OEMs kill the idea before MS even gets the "coal in the oven" on those trains of theirs?
    Other forms of touch, as well as from a very close partner to Apple:
    Corning - A Day Made of Glass
    Corning - A Day Made of Glass - Unpacked
    ... and an interesting prototype of an iPhone, with multiple videos:

... Oh my! The implications and ideas that come to mind:

But this is the totally weird thing that I still cannot grasp. Everyone except mainly Apple, including OEMs, just doesn't get it anymore. Everyone is trying to get on the bandwagon, but only Apple so far seems to be pulling off something that is simple, sensible, common sense, practical, and which just works.

Kinect. Ultrabook. Surface. I feel like I'm inundated with tech companies that were once reasonably innovative and ground-breaking, but just somehow hit a wall 5-10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, Intel is impressive but they seemed to have totally missed the mobile boat. We're in 2012 and there is not one actually-decent Intel-based mobile phone. What happened?

Ivy Bridge touch-based convertible ultrabooks? That strategy already failed for the past 15 years many, many times over. The fact that it is running Ivy Bridge does not change that. The fact that it is an "ultrabook" (which is simply a ripoff of MacBook Air) does not change this. The fact that it is "convertible" does not change this. The fact that it is still running Windows, makes everything still worse.

It's like in Aliens2 when Sigourney Weaver wakes up. "Did IQs just drop sharply when I was away?!"

I really feel like that these past few years. What the heck happened? To see all these remarkable technology companies just fumble is almost like watching your favourite football player break his leg in slow motion. It's almost... horrifying.

To surf the web now and just see a once beautiful, nascent industry now turned to ad-filled and pointless clutter-driven experiences, is also, just... peculiar.