Purported next-gen iPhone front panel has centered FaceTime camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

It may make thumb typing easier, and add more height for notifications, and another 'row' of app icons on the home screen, but other than that, it's not really compelling.  

It wouldn't be Giant... just a tetch longer.  at 16:9 the size would maybe be just a 10mm (~.4")taller.  Same width, and if you carve out about 2mm from the space between the earhole and the top edge, it would fit.  

Real Estate on a phone becomes a diminishing return.   I do like the 16:9 ratio, but I can't see them doing it, unless some developer tells me that it's trivially easy for an iPhone app to have an add'l .47" of portrait height to a screen, and they state that that .47" is the 'notification center' or something.

So a bigger screen is "not really compelling" to play games, watch videos, surf the web, etc, certainly nope. I am sold.

• Reply 42 of 94
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

It is not about the logic. It is about convention. If every one (90% of people) refers to it as iPhone 5, then it is a nome it is most comfortable to use in the communication. (How it really be named  - no one knows).

This is kinda why I think they should go with "iPhone 6" because if they don't give it a number, people will use 'iPhone 5" which is "more wrong" than most any other choice.  

Let's face it, people are stupid and will go with the "iPhone 5" name because 5 comes after 4.  Apple is being really dumb lately with their naming conventions though so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with "the new iPhone" either.  

No way they will officially name it "iPhone 5" however as one thing Apple never does is do what everyone thinks they will do.  When Phil Schiller was asked why the last iPad didn't have a number he said "because they like to surprise" or some such.  

• Reply 43 of 94
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

That's an iPhone 3GS. with a Colored phone cover.

If you think they want a phone smaller than a 3GS/4, you don't understand the youth and teen market, and you definitely don't understand Apple.

A 'free' phone on daddy's plan is just fine. 

Apple sees the 'optimal' platform, and the apps do the rest.  they feel the iPhone4 is the optimal size (at the moment).  smaller won't happen... I'd be surprised if Larger happened. 

• Reply 44 of 94
    The only feature I care about is 4G. I bought a Galaxy S3 last week primarily for LTE.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    That's an iPhone 3GS. with a Colored phone cover.

If you think they want a phone smaller than a 3GS/4, you don't understand the youth and teen market, and you definitely don't understand Apple.

A 'free' phone on daddy's plan is just fine. 

Apple sees the 'optimal' platform, and the apps do the rest.  they feel the iPhone4 is the optimal size (at the moment).  smaller won't happen... I'd be surprised if Larger happened. 
    The 3GS is 3 years old and still requires a data plan. Most young college aged kids jailbreak their $99 iPhones to avoid paying the data plan. Apple providing a fresh affordable phone that doesn't require a data contract could be huge for that market. Even if the phone has 3GS internals with new slimmer casing I think it has the potential to be a hit worldwide.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.
    I've encountered a LOT of android buyers that don't know what phone they bought. Some even call their Samsungs "Droids" or think android is a brand of phone. I would hope if they're spending $200 for an S3 they would know what phone they bought but a lot of phone buyers are clueless.
  • Reply 47 of 94

oops

• Reply 48 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

So a bigger screen is "not really compelling" to play games, watch videos, surf the web, etc, certainly nope. I am sold.

What Games are there that you can't play now that you could by adding .47" to the Y or X (not both) axis?   

Name one app or game that isn't on the iPhone because it's not a 16:9 ratio?

Name one developer who would say... "I really need .47 in for my application". and then name me the developers who say "I don't mind when Apple forces me to create a new code fork to support a new geometry, resubmit all my apps to the App Store, and deal with the bugs and issues people contact me about due to the new presentation modality"

Surfing the web?  that 1/2" along the long axis?  I'll still need to pinch the display to see a non mobile optimized page.. and even optimized... it's not deep enough (we 'read' at 4:3 and 3:2... we've been trained at that for years) to be a 'compelling experience'

I agree with you on videos. but you already have an iPad don't you?  or an AppleTV.  If not, then why not?  you watch all your videos on a 4" screen?  

Apple really doesn't see you as their demographic then...

Personally, I think Apple will focus the phone (and the iPod Touch) at the current form factor, and for all the reasons you state... will ship an 8" iPad.   Because Apple is an ecosystem, not a shipper of independent chunks of hardware, where each has to maximize their sales. 

I see some reasons for .47" more Y axis, but actually none of them are what you list.

- Better Notification center

- permanent Siri/voice dictation button on all app pages

- App Tiling (2 apps on one screen)

Those would help Apple make an iOS phone more 'integrated' 

Your reasons... I don't think Apple sees those issues as the reasons why people buy a phone other than iPhone.  

• Reply 49 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is kinda why I think they should go with "iPhone 6" because if they don't give it a number, people will use 'iPhone 5" which is "more wrong" than most any other choice.  

Let's face it, people are stupid and will go with the "iPhone 5" name because 5 comes after 4.  Apple is being really dumb lately with their naming conventions though so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with "the new iPhone" either.  

No way they will officially name it "iPhone 5" however as one thing Apple never does is do what everyone thinks they will do.  When Phil Schiller was asked why the last iPad didn't have a number he said "because they like to surprise" or some such.  

Those who will colloquially call the new "iPhone" the "iPhone 5" are "less wrong" because that's how people name things.  Do any of the "stupid" people you're talking about, AKA all those people that have given Apple 90% of its revenue, really care or know that it's the 6th+ generation of iPhone hardware?   Do you think any but a handful of iPhone users snigger when people say "4S" instead of "5"?  It seems your are suggesting that Apple is patronizing those people by calling it the 4S instead of the 5.  And what if Apple did call it the iPhone 6?  The missing 5 would be confusing.  Don't try to argue that they didn't have an iPhone 1 or 2 - they've set a precedent by using 3 then 4.

In any case, Apple will surely drop the numbering as they did for the iPad, and the "new iPhone" will be *correctly* referred to as the "iPhone 5".  Why is that correct?  Because *everyone* including *you* will understand what the iPhone 5 is.

• Reply 50 of 94
    For some reason, you seem to be blatantly discrediting some valid points. Seems like you're bent on refuting whatever this guy has said, because instead of coming up with logical answers you criticize his questions, asking where they even come from.

Many of the poster's points are valid: if this is the next iPhone model, it would in fact possibly be disappointing to some to see essentially the same design that has been used in every iPhone. Apple may feel they have the perfect phone design and therefore do not need to make any changes, but a completely refreshed, new design accompanying logical changes (bigger screen, etc.) would be and nice and would surely entice many to buy it. Apple has released a phone with the same design for two years now - a phone which looks almost exactly the same with only minor dimensional changes seems to say that Apple is comfortable extending this for a third year.

Even by looking at mock ups, for example from last years supposed iPhone 5 with the slightly curved design, or even those stored in google image results, I can see some design, or elements of designs, which would not only make perfect sense in the next iPhone but would make it a far better product.

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize or be offensive, it's just my opinion after all.
  • Reply 51 of 94

Quote:

The 3GS is 3 years old and still requires a data plan. Most young college aged kids jailbreak their $99 iPhones to avoid paying the data plan. Apple providing a fresh affordable phone that doesn't require a data contract could be huge for that market. Even if the phone has 3GS internals with new slimmer casing I think it has the potential to be a hit worldwide.

That's not a youth/teen market  that's the 'I've got more time than money' market.    Candy Colored phones are all about 'individuality' (I'm not like that loser over there... my phone has sparkles) not 'cheap.'

why slimmer?  your argument doesn't support that requirement.   The reason the iPhone is a hit is the screen size... anything smaller and you'll need a stylus (or expensive sandpaper for your fingertips).  Larger and it's bulky and inconvenient.

I read your response, and I see you're confusing Apple with the people who sell phone plans.  Apple doesn't require the data plan.  The carriers do.

Unless you're asking Apple to make a 'cheap' phone.

and They don't do cheap.

• Reply 52 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    kent909 wrote: »
    As opposed to the content of this article, showing what the case for the new iPhone is. This is official and is reality.

Except it isn't, for the same reason as in the post quoted in the above quote.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Nobody has ever done that before.  If somebody buys a Galaxy, they know exactly what they bought.

Really?

Somehow, you're not very believable, considering that even if you narrow it down to the SIII phone, there are multiple different varieties. Different CPUs, different amounts of RAM.

I think it's unlikely that everyone who buys a Samsung phone knows exactly what they bought.
  • Reply 54 of 94

Quote:

Not everyone wants or needs GPS, Siri, Compass, gyroscope, 4G, dual/quad core processors etc. A smaller candy colored form factored phone could be a game changer for the youth and teen market, while the iPhone 4/4S and new iPhone will appeal to the adult and business market.

True, and those few people who does, or doesn't really care about their phones, buys those cheap small plastic android phones... :P

• Reply 55 of 94
    That's not a youth/teen market  that's the 'I've got more time than money' market.    Candy Colored phones are all about 'individuality' (I'm not like that loser over there... my phone has sparkles) not 'cheap.'

why slimmer?  your argument doesn't support that requirement.   The reason the iPhone is a hit is the screen size... anything smaller and you'll need a stylus (or expensive sandpaper for your fingertips).  Larger and it's bulky and inconvenient.

I read your response, and I see you're confusing Apple with the people who sell phone plans.  Apple doesn't require the data plan.  The carriers do.

Unless you're asking Apple to make a 'cheap' phone.
    and They don't do cheap.
    I'm sure you thought Apple wouldn't do a $49 MP3 player either.
  • Reply 56 of 94
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

I've encountered a LOT of android buyers that don't know what phone they bought. Some even call their Samsungs "Droids" or think android is a brand of phone. I would hope if they're spending $200 for an S3 they would know what phone they bought but a lot of phone buyers are clueless.

And they call US sheep?

• Reply 57 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

funny, as everyone saying it will sell millions but no one particularly crazy about the design. If this is indeed iPhone 5, imho this is the biggest strategic mistake of Apple in the last decade because the new form is just is a tiny 0.5" lengthening of the screen. Consumer preference gradually shifting to larger screens - and the usual contra-argument "Who wants to hold a giant thing next to their ears" does not really cut anymore. People use phones for anything but talking. While many people will still insist that 3.5" screen is the coolest thing ever, what is really important here, is to spot the trend. Gradually and persistently large screens become cool. While in the US, 3.5" iPhone still rules, I see that in other parts of the world people oddly fall in love with even super-large screens (Galaxy Note for example). This is because a larger screen is more functional for anything but talking. And what is cool is ultimately defined by functionality. I think the new long iPhone will sell millions but it will be the first Apple phone which will sell less than its predecessor..

I disagree that this will be a strategic mistake (much less the "biggest" one in the last decade) on the part of Apple at all. Adopting the 16x9 aspect ratio at only 4" in the iPhone is a smart way of unifying the aspect ratio between display devices (e.g., HDTV / AppleTV, Mac, etc.) while retaining a form factor that is still manageable with one hand. Competitors like the Galaxy Note are simply too big to work with one hand and using them as a phone (i.e., holding them up to your head for a call) is awkward; they practically require a BT headset.

I tihnk the larger screens found in so many of Apple's competitors' handsets were initially their answer to the iPhone's Retina Display, which the competition otherwise couldn't (some still can't) compete with pixel-for-pixel. The larger displays have definitely found a market, but that does not in any way render the iPhone's smaller form factor inadequate or obsolete, despite what other trends may be observed in the market. Apple has always made well-thought-out design decisions that have usually hit the mark for all the right reasons, form factor often being chief among them.

The needs of people who want a larger screen for apps and such will be satisfied by the iPad, and perhaps an iPad mini if those rumors pan out. But as far as the iPhone's form factor is concerned, it doesn't need to, and shouldn't, change much. You are absolutely right, though, in that it will sell millions. With the hardware upgrades and iOS upgrade, it will be Apple's best-selling iPhone to date.

• Reply 58 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really?

Somehow, you're not very believable, considering that even if you narrow it down to the SIII phone, there are multiple different varieties. Different CPUs, different amounts of RAM.

I think it's unlikely that everyone who buys a Samsung phone knows exactly what they bought.

If a customer walks into an authorized reseller anywhere in the US there will only be one CPU/RAM versions of the Galaxy S3 for sale. If a customer walks into an authorized reseller anywhere in Japan there will not be more than one CPU/RAM version of the S3 for sale. If a customer walks into an authorized reseller's store anywhere in Europe there will not be more than one CPU/RAM combo of the S3 available for sale. In fact there are only two basic CPU/RAM versions produced for the entire world, discounting the "special hometown version" for the S.Koreans that added a GB of RAM as the only change.

It's not confusing. Everyone in the US buying from a telco or a brick n'mortar got the same CPU, the same amount of RAM, the same graphics processor, the same display, and exactly the same size phone with the same features. Any accessory that works with one will work with all. Only the exterior colors vary. 

Now does that mean the US customer knows "exactly what they bought"? Probably no more so than a lot of US iPhone buyers. But if it was a Galaxy S3 they all bought the same thing.

• Reply 59 of 94

Quote:

I'm sure you thought Apple wouldn't do a $49 MP3 player either.

The music was more expensive than the device.

Same with the 3GS and a data plan.

What's your point?   

My point is, what functional features are you shaving off the iPhone to make it fit your list?   If you say glass size, are you shrinking the pixels to run all the apps then require a stylus, or shrinking the interface to less than 480x320, and then no current apps, games will run, videos will look worse than a SVGA screen, and you can't read a web page or an email.

hardly a compelling experience.

And glass is the most expensive of component, followed by battery, the 2 things that define the dimensions.

I think Apple will gladly say... no thank you and say they want 

1) a compelling visual experience with our phones

2) the right feel in the hand

3) a rich set of features that applications can take advantage of.

4) a set of applications that run on our entire fleet of devices, from the low end phone, to the high end iPad.

Anything less than an iPhone 4 feature set at this point is not a smartphone.  It's a feature phone... 

• Reply 60 of 94
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

Those who will colloquially call the new "iPhone" the "iPhone 5" are "less wrong" because that's how people name things.  Do any of the "stupid" people you're talking about, AKA all those people that have given Apple 90% of its revenue, really care or know that it's the 6th+ generation of iPhone hardware?   Do you think any but a handful of iPhone users snigger when people say "4S" instead of "5"?  It seems your are suggesting that Apple is patronizing those people by calling it the 4S instead of the 5.  And what if Apple did call it the iPhone 6?  The missing 5 would be confusing.  Don't try to argue that they didn't have an iPhone 1 or 2 - they've set a precedent by using 3 then 4.

In any case, Apple will surely drop the numbering as they did for the iPad, and the "new iPhone" will be *correctly* referred to as the "iPhone 5".  Why is that correct?  Because *everyone* including *you* will understand what the iPhone 5 is.

What a lot of rot.  You are basically arguing that if stupid people think the sky is green instead of blue that therefore the sky is green.  

There isn't really a logical pattern to iPhone naming so far, but of the most popular possibilities floated from time to time the "most wrong" is indeed "iPhone 5." The pattern behind the reasoning is:  

3 > 3something > 4 > 4something > 5 > 5something

But the "3" phone was actually the "2," the "4something" was actually the "5," the "5" would be the "6," the "5something" will be the "7."

No one knows what the next phone will be called, but it's inarguable that calling it the iPhone 5 would be highly inaccurate in almost every way and "more wrong" than calling it "iPhone 6" since it will be the sixth phone and will have iOS 6.0 on it.