Domestic data shows Mac sales down 10% in June quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

A used iPhone 4 costs about the same as an iPod Touch and has much better features even if you don't use the phone. If you do use the phone, you can pop in a pay as you go sim card and skip the data plan and high smart phone rates. I think the 7 inch iPad will be a decent replacement for the old iPod Touch which has not been updated for two years.

I think a lot of people like me are waiting for the rest of the Mac line to be refreshed before we put down a lot of money for a new computer. Why pay full price for last year's model when we can just wait a bit longer and get a big upgrade for the same money? This is where Apple's secrecy is actually costing them sales. If people had known that the iMac was not going to be refreshed for 18 months, more people would have bought one instead of waiting.

• Reply 22 of 65
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You are so so wrong on that. The numbers speak for themselves, iPod sales have been declining for a few years now as people switch to iPhones instead. Most people don't want to carry 2 devices.

You see the numbers but you didn't do the math. Go back to 2007 earnings and do the math. Declining iPod sales while the iPhone and iPod touch sales are increase. Apple is not breaking up the iPod sales figures but the data is there and you can figure out the number of iPod touch sale easily. If you are lazy and don't want to do the math then do a google search for iPod touch sale figures and you will see that iPod touch sale INCREASING.

• Reply 23 of 65

Why is everyone talking about the iPhone and iPod touch in a thread about Mac sales being down?

• Reply 24 of 65
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Well, let's look back last quarter.  Since there was so much press about what Apple might have announced at WWDC, people probably slowed down their procurement of laptops and desktops and wait until the WWDC announcement.  They announced the MBP, MBP Retina, and the MBP Air, but the MBP Retina are still catching up to the demand.  Since the iMac, MacMini and MacPro's weren't announced people/companies are waiting for those to be refreshed.  Now, the iPad 3rd gen is just starting to ship to China.  I think the bulk of any product sales are within the first 3 to 5 months for a product and then they start to dwindle down in preparation for the refreshed model.

Since Apple stock kind of went up REALLY fast in the beginning of the year, I think the price went through a little correction.

While sales are growing on a year to year rate, this last quarter didn't grow as fast as the previous two quarters, probably because they announced only laptops and couldn't ship the MBP Retina to keep up with demand.  So, I am sure that is a partial reason.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Apple's still kicking butt in the market, they just to to start releasing the desktop replacements, the new iphone, new OSs, and any other new products when they can.  I think they'll probably have a great end of year.

• Reply 25 of 65
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I agree with your sentiment.  Update the iPod, drop the price, or both.  They need a refresh like anything else.  They won't kill the iPod line just yet.

And update the iPod touch, for spaghetti's sake!  It should be as powerful as last year's iPhone (or is it?).  

• Reply 26 of 65
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I was tempted in buying a iPod mini because of the built in radio.

• Reply 27 of 65
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You never stated that, you just said that phones, as a standalone device, are cheaper than iPods, and eluded to anything being labeled as a smartphone (though you really mean a feature phone running Android) makes for a great iPod replacement, which is simply not the case.

I said that I can buy a decent smartphone cheaper than an iPod Touch - and I can prove it.

The cheapest iPod Touch is £169.

I can buy a Sony Experia U for £149 without any contract on PAYG.

Spec: 5MP camera, 3.5" screen, 3D surround sound, 1GHz dual core processor, upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

• Reply 28 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You see the numbers but you didn't do the math. Go back to 2007 earnings and do the math. Declining iPod sales while the iPhone and iPod touch sales are increase. Apple is not breaking up the iPod sales figures but the data is there and you can figure out the number of iPod touch sale easily. If you are lazy and don't want to do the math then do a google search for iPod touch sale figures and you will see that iPod touch sale INCREASING.

Did you even read the article above?

I quote: "Performance of Apple's iPod line was down 21 percent year-to-year according to NPD data and is in line with Munster's model of 6.3 million unit sales, down 16 percent from 2011. Street estimates have iPod growth down 16 percent from the year ago period". Apple do not breakout sales by iPod model so there is no way of knowing if certain models are up or down within that overall number.

Do you understand the term DOWN????????? - As in NOT INCREASING.

• Reply 29 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    I said that I can buy a decent smartphone cheaper than an iPod Touch - and I can prove it.

Spec: 5MP camera, 3.5" screen, 3D surround sound, 1GHz dual core processor, upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Have you used the PMP app on it? How is it? Does it even play podcasts? At least Windows Phone does that.

And this cost of £149, where are you seeing it? I'm seeing a cost of $299. What store has it at that price with no strings attached? What is the battery life as a PMP? Why do put things like number of Hertz in the processor when talking about PMPs?
  • Reply 30 of 65

Quote:

Did you even read the article above?

I quote: "Performance of Apple's iPod line was down 21 percent year-to-year according to NPD data and is in line with Munster's model of 6.3 million unit sales, down 16 percent from 2011. Street estimates have iPod growth down 16 percent from the year ago period". Apple do not breakout sales by iPod model so there is no way of knowing if certain models are up or down within that overall number.

Do you understand the term DOWN????????? - As in NOT INCREASING.

You seriously have issues in comprehension and you didn't even bother looking at previous Apple earnings and analysis. YES TOTAL iPOD SALES ARE DECREASING. WE KNOW THAT.

In March 2011 Apple said they have sold 60 million iPod touch since the release (<40% of iPods sold). Few months ago Apple said that iPod touch sold account for more than 50% of iPod sold. Now, if you even bothered to do the math like I said you will see that the iPod touch UNITS old is increasing even though the TOTAL NUMBER OF IPODS is decreasing. But I think this is too complicated for you to comprehend.. numbers and such.

• Reply 31 of 65
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

If you are happy to live with wifi only, you can buy an iphone 3gs (with no further costs)  for $75 less than a top end ipod...Granted the capacity will be much lower

mind you Apple charge a whopping £105 for jumping from 32gb to 64gb, when you consider that you can get a 64gd SD card for about a quarter of that price I can see why someone would be interested in a droid with removable sd.

• Reply 32 of 65

Quote:

iPod touch UNITS old is increasing even though the TOTAL NUMBER OF IPODS is decreasing. .

What about the shuffle?

Perhaps that should be

ipod shuffle- why?

;)

• Reply 33 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you used the PMP app on it? How is it? Does it even play podcasts? At least Windows Phone does that.

And this cost of £149, where are you seeing it? I'm seeing a cost of $299. What store has it at that price with no strings attached? What is the battery life as a PMP? Why do put things like number of Hertz in the processor when talking about PMPs?

See for yourself....  http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SONY-XPERIA-U/PPAY

Honestly you try and make a simple point and it turns into an episode of the Muppet Show lol.

Would you like me to repeat what I said? I said that sales of the iPod Touch are falling because you can buy a perfectly good smartphone for less money than an iPod Touch. If you look at Apples' advertising for the iPod Touch the product is primarily aimed at teenagers. But most kids I know would prefer to have a smartphone than an iPod Touch. Who cares what the battery life is or if it does podcasts - I'm not comparing it to the iPhone.

If I was Apple I would look to change strategy. I would lower the price of the iPhone 3GS to offer a solution to these kids. I would then re-position the iPod Touch as more of a portable gaming device with a bigger screen to take on the PS Vita or as a device for music lovers with a large record collection who are looking to replace their iPod Classic.

• Reply 34 of 65

Quote:

You seriously have issues in comprehension and you didn't even bother looking at previous Apple earnings and analysis. YES TOTAL iPOD SALES ARE DECREASING. WE KNOW THAT.

In March 2011 Apple said they have sold 60 million iPod touch since the release (<40% of iPods sold). Few months ago Apple said that iPod touch sold account for more than 50% of iPod sold. Now, if you even bothered to do the math like I said you will see that the iPod touch UNITS old is increasing even though the TOTAL NUMBER OF IPODS is decreasing. But I think this is too complicated for you to comprehend.. numbers and such.

PROVE IT - Show me a published Apple number for actual sales of the iPod Touch. ACTUAL SALES NUMBERS NOT YOUR ESTIMATES.

• Reply 35 of 65

Quote:

I admit that I have not looked at previous reports but based on what you have posted, one could interpret that to mean that the sales of the ipod touch have increased relative to other ipods BUT it is still possible that both have fallen in real terms

• Reply 36 of 65
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

£324.99 for the 63gb ipodtouch

Vs

£249.95 for a   HTC One V  on pay as you go.

You need to get a new calculator

You can give Tallest Skil a calculator after you've used it to work out that 4GB of storage in the HTC One V is smaller than 64GB in the iPod Touch.

Add £20 to 25 for the cheapest price of a 32GB microSD card.

A 32GB iPod Touch cost £249 (see Apple UK Online Store) is almost a pound cheaper than the HTC One V but with four times the capacity.

I anticipate you'll argue that the HTC has unlimited storage as you can swap unlimited number of cards but then each card needs to be paid for, driving the price of your solution up.

Furthermore your HTC One V can only access content on one card at a time.

• Reply 37 of 65

Quote:

PROVE IT - Show me a published Apple number for actual sales of the iPod Touch. ACTUAL SALES NUMBERS NOT YOUR ESTIMATES.

The 60 million numbers here. If you want the total number of Apple iPods sales from 2007 to March 2011 (when this number was reported) then I suggest you go Apple PR, dig through the press releases, and add the numbers.

Here is when Apple said more than 50% of the iPod sales are iPod touches.

My guess is you will not even bother going through any of the links I have provided.

• Reply 38 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hungover wrote: »
    £324.99 for the 63gb ipodtouch

Vs

£249.95 for a   HTC One V  on pay as you go.

You need to get a new calculator

So it's £324.99 vs £?. Because you have to actually pay that PAYG if you want the phone that cheap, you see. And it doesn't say how long you have to keep paying that, so you have to extrapolate (or you could tell me; I'm not familiar with UK stuff).
  • Reply 39 of 65
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

The 60 million numbers here. If you want the total number of Apple iPods sales from 2007 to March 2011 (when this number was reported) then I suggest you go Apple PR, dig through the press releases, and add the numbers.

Here is when Apple said more than 50% of the iPod sales are iPod touches.

My guess is you will not even bother going through any of the links I have provided.

It builds a nice story, but not exactly what he asked.

• Reply 40 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

You can give Tallest Skil a calculator after you've used it to work out that 4GB of storage in the HTC One V is smaller than 64GB in the iPod Touch.

Add £20 to 25 for the cheapest price of a 32GB microSD card.

A 32GB iPod Touch cost £249 (see Apple UK Online Store) is almost a pound cheaper than the HTC One V but with four times the capacity.

I anticipate you'll argue that the HTC has unlimited storage as you can swap unlimited number of cards but then each card needs to be paid for, driving the price of your solution up.

Furthermore your HTC One V can only access content on one card at a time.

And you can learn how to use google whilst the calculator is being passed around

£277.94 will get you a HTC One V with a 64gb SD card

£329.00 for the 64gb ipodtouch

Erm, which is cheaper?

Oh... and if you want to be really arsey, the card has a 5 year waranty, the phone has two years. Vs one year for the ipod. Also factor in the fact that the oner will be less likely to use the iTunes store and they can save 3% in VAT on music downloads