Google's Chrome iOS app captures 1.4% of browser market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    gazoobee wrote: »
    What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  
    There have been about 250 million iOS-based iDevices sold right? To capture 1/4% of the browser market on iOS-based iDevices that would mean 3.5 million. That said, market share for browser stats are not a 1:1 ratio of each device but it does give an idea that it's pretty popular for a 3rd-party browser from the App Store.

jakeb wrote: »
    Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 

One reasonable answer is because one likes the UI and features better than Safari. It does use WebKit but it also doesn't use the Nitro JS engine that Safari uses because 3rd-party apps don't have access to that due to security concerns which means I won't be using it even though there are nice aspects about it I hope Apple does adopt.

The chart is showing US & Canada, not global figures. What I don't understand is why the article writes about 'near real time tool' but the legend says '6 hour delay'. And their graph is horrible with that outer Chrome rim.

Of course one can browse the internet with an alternative to Safari, clicking on an URL will show that webpage in Safari. Nothing can be done about that.

solipsismx wrote: »
    frugality wrote: »
    MS was sued for such things.

No they weren't. That's like claiming you didn't kill someone, the bullet did.

They were sued, got a $794M fine for these practices. Thanks to Neelie Smith Kroes in her role for the European Commissioner for Competition.
    hezetation wrote: »
    Edit: is it just me or has the new AI forum been really buggy.

Pretty bad heh. What I don't understand is why a company like AI is covering on Apple, a company that has such a great eye for detail yet AI makes such a mess of their site, the forum, the grammar, non proof reading and so on and so forth...
  • Reply 22 of 32
    dfcurtin wrote: »
    really cause safari sucks in any version

You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not arguing either way - but you must REALLY hate Safari if you signed up more than two years ago and THIS is the first thing you chose to comment about. Really, up to now nothing else was worth posting about?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Why would anyone use Chrome for ios? It's just ios webview with a different name. 

I'd disagree with that.

• Reply 24 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Was that sarcasm or are you serious?  Couldn't tell but just in case.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#safari

Nevermind, my bad, got confused with Safari for Mountain Lion.

Guess you should have ... "hesitated"?  ;)

• Reply 25 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What's that? like a thousand people on the whole planet?  Wow.  

Close .. only off by ~ 3 orders of magnitude.  It's not bad market penetration in < 1 month

• Reply 26 of 32
    t2aft2af Posts: 44member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

You are entitled to your opinion - I'm not arguing either way - but you must REALLY hate Safari if you signed up more than two years ago and THIS is the first thing you chose to comment about. Really, up to now nothing else was worth posting about?

don't be too hard on him, I might have taken that long to formulate that whole opening gambit. more on topic tho, I think atomic web browser is great, complete with adblock, just a pity no default browser can be chosen.

• Reply 27 of 32
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

In hindsight, perhaps the DoJ and the EU were being a little too aggressive with Microsoft and a little too biased.  Firefox and Chrome, both took off despite IE coming pre-installed.

And now the EU is pursuing Microsoft for embedding IE in Windows 8 RT, yet they haven't come knocking on Apple's door for making Safari the default choice on iOS or on Google's door for now making Chrome the default browser on Android from Jellybean (though to be fair, you can actually change the browser on Android).  I'm loathe to defend MS, but there is something unfair about only pursuing one company for the same practice.

• Reply 28 of 32
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Why does he have to post prior comments?

I've been posting here a while.  I don't use Safari on my Mac.  I prefer Chrome and have been using Chrome on my Mac for years.  I just find the UI more comfortable.  The sync features that were added recently are a bonus.  It now syncs with my phone and tablet.

• Reply 29 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    frugality wrote: »
    MS was sued for such things.  They lost, and were fined for tying Internet Explorer to their operating system.  Sure, you could install other browsers and use them for other functions.  But anything OS-linked was done in IE.

And Apple ties Safari to any iOS browsing and hotlinks, which can't be replaced by another browser.

That is all nonsense. First, Safari isn't tied to iOS in the way that IE was tied to Windows. Second, Apple doesn't have a monopoly in smart phones the way MS had with desktop operating systems. Third, Apple did not go out of its way to disable competitor's browsers. There's almost no comparison between Windows/IE and iOS/Safari.
    astrubhar wrote: »
    Chrome for iOS has many features Safari does not.

- Unified search and navigation bar
    - Much easier private browsing
    - Voice search
    - Request desktop version
    - Flicking between open tabs

It's notably missing "Reader" mode. They both support syncing with the desktop version.

This is not just a UIWebView. Chrome has a decent market share on the Mac and using it for iOS makes more sense for these people. Especially for the syncing.

I think it's important to remember what the article says: "The caveat here, of course, is that the sites that use Chitika’s ads and the users that visit them may not be 100% representative of the web as a whole". Without knowing how they arrived at their numbers, it's hard to say how real the 1.4% figure is. If it's real, it's pretty amazing to go from 0 to 1.4% in just a month- even with the advantages you cite.

However, it does create a problem for the Android shills here. This is the same source that says that the iPhone is responsible for something like 80-90% of mobile web browsing. So if they want to brag about this figure and believe that it's accurate, they lose the ability to pretend that the 80-90% of web browsing done on iOS devices is incorrect.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    twoseetwosee Posts: 58member

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Chrome for iOS has many features Safari does not.

- Unified search and navigation bar

- Much easier private browsing

- Voice search

- Request desktop version

- Flicking between open tabs

It's notably missing "Reader" mode. They both support syncing with the desktop version.

This is not just a UIWebView. Chrome has a decent market share on the Mac and using it for iOS makes more sense for these people. Especially for the syncing.

Private browsing? Hahaha! You do realize this is Google you are talking about, don't you? Nothing is private with Google.

• Reply 31 of 32
    shaminoshamino Posts: 537member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He's probably not aware that Chrome on iOS *is* Safari for all intents and purposes with the exception of the UI.  He's also probably not aware that Chrome uses webkit and therefore benefits from Safari and perhaps wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Safari.  

Yes, Chrome is based on WebKit.  But that doesn't mean there would be no Chrome if not for Safari.  Don't forget that WebKit began life as KDE's KHTML/KJS engine.  I'm sure that if WebKit was not available, Google would've released a browser (whether called Chrome or something else) based on a different engine.  Maybe KHTML, maybe Gecko, maybe something else

• Reply 32 of 32
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    twosee wrote: »

Private browsing? Hahaha! You do realize this is Google you are talking about, don't you? Nothing is private with Google.

Perfect.