Windows 8 to launch on Oct. 26 with new hardware in tow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was revealed during Microsot's annual sales meeting that the company's next-generation operating system will hit shelves on Oct. 26 meaning new hardware will shortly follow including the Surface tablet.

Microsoft's Windows Division President Steven Sinofsky made good on a promise from Windows Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer Tami Reller who said Windows 8 would see release sometime in October, reports Electronista. A subsequent post on the company's dedicated Windows blog detailed the meeting, describing upgrade tiers and purchasing options.

Windows 8 will debut in 231 markets covering 109 languages on launch day and existing users of the ubiquitous OS can upgrade to the revamped software online for $40. According to Microsoft's website, all PCs running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 qualify for the $39.99 upgrade with the option to add on Windows Media Center for free though the operating system's "add features" option.

Wednesday's announcement also portends the imminent release of tablets, PCs and Ultrabooks running the one-OS-for-all software when Microsoft announced as much during the Surface unveiling in June.

Windows 8
Windows Division President Steven Sinofsky announces Windows 8 launch date.
Source: Microsoft

Microsoft's Surface will likely be one of the first Windows 8 examples on offer when the OS debuts as the device marks the Redmond-based company's first foray into the tablet hardware market. Initially, a stripped-down ARM-based iteration called Surface for Windows RT will roll out before a more full-featured Intel version dubbed Surface for Windows 8 Pro hits stores later this year.

It is unclear what features are missing from Windows RT but Microsoft is claiming the new OS is meant to reflect a "PC+" era where all devices run identical operating systems. This is counter to Apple's "post-PC" era which describes multiple devices running software tailor-made for specific tasks, an example being OS X for laptops and iOS for iDevices. Microsoft COO Kevin Turner claimed that the iPhone maker's view future computing is incorrect and instead believes in a "ond-OS-fits-all" approach to OS coding. Interestingly it appears that Windows RT skews toward the "post-PC" model.

Apple is looking to release its own next-generation operating system with OS X 10.8 later in July, and while no specific date has been set a launch should be imminent as the company seeded the Mountain Lion gold master last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

$40 for which one of about a dozen versions?

• Reply 2 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have only 2 Windows boxes and both are running XP. Our company has a few Windows servers though.

• Reply 3 of 26
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Windows 8 is the bravest thing Microsoft have ever done, and it will be very interesting to see if it ends up like another Vista. It's a sure bet that businesses will stay well clear of it, but home users will probably end up with it without realising it when they buy a new computer. Whether they like it or not will be very important for the future prospects of Surface and Windows Phone...

Who'd of thought Microsoft of all companies would do something so crazy?

• Reply 4 of 26

Sorry, I don't have a lot of confidence in MS...I will never, ever buy an MS product ever again! :)

• Reply 5 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It is unclear what features are missing from Windows RT but Microsoft is claiming the new OS is meant to reflect a "PC+" era where all devices run identical operating systems. This is counter to Apple's "post-PC" era which describes multiple devices running software tailor-made for specific tasks, an example being OS X for laptops and iOS for iDevices. Microsoft COO Kevin Turner claimed that the iPhone maker's view future computing <a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/12/microsoft_says_apples_post_pc_view_is_wrong_claims_its_a_pc_era.html">is incorrect</a> and instead believes in a "ond-OS-fits-all" approach to OS coding. Interestingly it appears that Windows RT skews toward the "post-PC" model..

It takes a lot of nerve to say something like that - given Apple's success in the Post-PC / PC+ market vs. Microsoft's. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft backpedals in the coming months.

Besides, the entire premise of "all devices running identical operating systems is nonsensical in terms of Microsoft's strategy. Windows RT has some substantial differences compared to Windows 8 - not the least of which is their inability to run the same software. So I guess the Microsoft version is "it's OK to have completely different, incompable versions of the operating system, as long as they all have 'Windows' in the name".
    mytdave wrote: »

I don't know, but it's interesting that MS has decided that they have to follow Apple's model of low priced upgrades. That will undoubtedly have a big impact on Microsoft's financials. Instead of $129 to $299 per upgrade, they'll get $40 per upgrade (although Apple's $20 covers every computer in your house, so MS is still much more expensive). They will make up some of the difference in volume, but since there's really no compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I don't know just how successful that will be.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This is a joke! - "tablets, PCs and Ultrabooks running the one-OS-for-all software [from] Microsoft".

RT is far different and won't run desktop apps, plus the convoluted cluster fk of various home, regular, pro, server, Metro and "standard windows" UI, et al flavors make this MSFT's typical large caldron of confusing crap.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

So, Oct 26th... After the date that the next iPhone will already be shipping, let alone announced.

The price is starting to be right.  It's priced that way to get the comet's tail of consumer machines upgraded... however, they won't until they buy new laptops... and half of those will be... iPads.

Businesses won't upgrade quickly because Win8 is way too much change and that will drive a 2 year verification and stability check.  By that time Win 9 will be out (or the company will be evolving to iOS as their 'desktop' OS;-).

This is a critical time.  I'm at a small company now, just leaving a huge company... both were 'supposed' to be on Win7 by now... neither one has started the migration.  If Win8 doesn't drive migration so 50% of corporate PCs aren't on it by 2014 (and MS Surface isn't north of 5% of tablet sales), it will be a failure, and one leg of Microsoft's triad of profit engines (OS, MS Office, BackOffice)  will snap off.

When I say failure, I'm meaning a net drop in segment revenue year over year... From asymco.com, it looks like 20Billion a year is what MS makes on Windows in revenue... that's about 500M license sales and upgrades in a year.   Good luck with that;-).   I don't see that happening.

btw, who ever spell checked the article did a lousy job... type it up on an iPhone? 

• Reply 8 of 26
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Sorry, I don't have a lot of confidence in MS...I will never, ever buy an MS product ever again! :)

Then Don't... It'll still remain the best selling/most used desktop OS existent.

Anyway... Bring On The Innovation... The desktop OS experience has been far too stagnant for far too long.
  • Reply 9 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Then Don't... It'll still remain the best selling/most used desktop OS existent.

Anyway... Bring On The Innovation... The desktop OS experience has been far too stagnant for far too long.

Thanks, I won't! :)

• Reply 10 of 26
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

So, Oct 26th... After the date that the next iPhone will already be shipping, let alone announced.

The price is starting to be right.  It's priced that way to get the comet's tail of consumer machines upgraded... however, they won't until they buy new laptops... and half of those will be... iPads.

Businesses won't upgrade quickly because Win8 is way too much change and that will drive a 2 year verification and stability check.  By that time Win 9 will be out (or the company will be evolving to iOS as their 'desktop' OS;-).

This is a critical time.  I'm at a small company now, just leaving a huge company... both were 'supposed' to be on Win7 by now... neither one has started the migration.  If Win8 doesn't drive migration so 50% of corporate PCs aren't on it by 2014 (and MS Surface isn't north of 5% of tablet sales), it will be a failure, and one leg of Microsoft's triad of profit engines (OS, MS Office, BackOffice)  will snap off.

When I say failure, I'm meaning a net drop in segment revenue year over year... From asymco.com, it looks like 20Billion a year is what MS makes on Windows in revenue... that's about 500M license sales and upgrades in a year.   Good luck with that;-).   I don't see that happening.

btw, who ever spell checked the article did a lousy job... type it up on an iPhone? 

WART, WEIGHT,  WOFFICE,  WWW....AWFUL!  And don't forget the Surface{s) -- that's two DumbAss tablets?

• Reply 11 of 26
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

If they don't make configuration of wifi easy, well, it is destined for the big FAIL.

• Reply 12 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Wrong... Microsoft's desktop experience has been far too stagnant.

OSX, Linux (Ubuntu, etc..) has been doing just fine.

• Reply 13 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

If they don't make configuration of wifi easy, well, it is destined for the big FAIL.

That's one thing that still keeps me shaking my head when I'm working on Windows-powered laptops.  The way Microsoft handles their wireless authentication at times is sheer confusion.

• Reply 14 of 26

Here's the deal as I understand it:

1)  WEIGHTOS  will be released on Oct. 26 -- for pre-install on new pcs and for upgrade on existing pcs

2) Sometime later, WARTOS  will be released concurrently with the WARTsURFACE

3) WARTWOFFICE will be pre-installed on every WARTsURFACE

4) WARTWOFFICE will be a pre-release, as WEIGHTWOFFICE won't be available until sometime in 2013.

5) WARTWOFFICE and WEIGHTWOFFICE are different packages as they run on different hardware; assumably, are a different code-base... and WARTWOFFICE only includes WARTWORD, WARTExcel and WARTPowerPoint

6) Sometime in 2013 WEIGHTWOFFICE will be released for purchase or upgrade for machines running WEIGHTOS  and  Windows7OS

7) Sometime in 2013, the WEIGHTsURFACE may be released... If so, it can only run WEIGHTOS  and WEIGHTWOFFICE

8) I wouldn't even want to consider trying to match up WEIGHTOS  and WEIGHTWOFFICE deviants... and PreWeckwisites

Whew!

I think I got that right... at least, that's the way Barbara Walters described it on the TV... (or maybe it was the Swedish Chef).

Program... Program... Get yer Program here... Can't tell the players without a Program!

Mmmm... I wonder If MS would allow Apple to sell Pages, Numbers and Keynote for the WARTsURFACE?

• Reply 15 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

The $40 upgrade is a limited time offer. The price will go up after the release date.

• Reply 16 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    Windows 8 is the bravest thing Microsoft have ever done, and it will be very interesting to see if it ends up like another Vista. It's a sure bet that businesses will stay well clear of it, but home users will probably end up with it without realising it when they buy a new computer. Whether they like it or not will be very important for the future prospects of Surface and Windows Phone...

Who'd of thought Microsoft of all companies would do something so crazy?

I would have used the word reckless. They are sitting on 20 and doubling down.

I do expect it to be the best/fasting selling version of Windows but that's due to the excessive user base. The new price point will certainly push that even more but I think it would still sell better than Win7 if it had been at the Win7 price.

freerange wrote: »
    This is a joke! - "tablets, PCs and Ultrabooks running the one-OS-for-all software [from] Microsoft".
    RT is far different and won't run desktop apps, plus the convoluted cluster fk of various home, regular, pro, server, Metro and "standard windows" UI, et al flavors make this MSFT's typical large caldron of confusing crap.

That's why I think it will fail. It's too much pretending it's all the same when it's not and pretending it's the best the both of world when not idealized for either.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would have used the word reckless. They are sitting on 20 and doubling down.
    I do expect it to be the best/fasting selling version of Windows but that's due to the excessive user base. The new price point will certainly push that even more but I think it would still sell better than Win7 if it had been at the Win7 price.

That's why I think it will fail. It's too much pretending it's all the same when it's not and pretending it's the best the both of world when not idealized for either.

Do you really think people will upgrade from XP, Vista or Windows 7 to Winows 8? What's the incentive... It's Windows7 (once you work round the Metro bolt-on). Usually MS can count on a large number of pre-install on new machines... But in today's business climate an declining PC sales...

It is smoke and mirrors... there is no ability to run Windows apps on WART -- and there are no Metro apps to speak of to run on Windows. They're exactly the same -- except that they're completely different!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Do you really think people will upgrade from XP, Vista or Windows 7 to Winows 8? What's the incentive... It's Windows7 (once you work round the Metro bolt-on). Usually MS can count on a large number of pre-install on new machines... But in today's business climate an declining PC sales...
    It is smoke and mirrors... there is no ability to run Windows apps on WART -- and there are no Metro apps to speak of to run on Windows. They're exactly the same -- except that they're completely different!

I think the same type of early adopters will get it again. I think there will also be plenty of the same illegal installations to test the OS, perhaps on a separate partition, drive or machine. The $40 just helps push over people on the fence.

I have a love/hate relationship with the OS. Not because it's not competent in what it does well but for what it does so poorly, most of which is just being what I think is an unfocused, convoluted Homer Car mess of an OS.

I don't think it's overall better than Win7 from the customer's perspective. They want something they understand that can make there life easier and better. There are great unpnning changes like making the NT kernel cross platform and efficient enough for their embedded devices but that's not something the customer will "experience."
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Whatevs, Dudes! Oct 26 w2012, I was .. Not there! Well maybe. If the winter surf is not up. Like I sez, Whatevs.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

The last number suggests Windows 7 has been used by more than half of PC users while a little less than half of  users are still on Windows XP. The problem is if these windows users had refused to upgrade to Windows Vista and/or Windows 7 which actually are not that far off from Windows XP looks and feels, can you imagine these same people jump ship to Windows 8 where everything is totally brand new, GUI , paradigm and all, even for merely 40 bucks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It takes a lot of nerve to say something like that - given Apple's success in the Post-PC / PC+ market vs. Microsoft's. It will be interesting to see how Microsoft backpedals in the coming months.

Besides, the entire premise of "all devices running identical operating systems is nonsensical in terms of Microsoft's strategy. Windows RT has some substantial differences compared to Windows 8 - not the least of which is their inability to run the same software. So I guess the Microsoft version is "it's OK to have completely different, incompable versions of the operating system, as long as they all have 'Windows' in the name".

I don't know, but it's interesting that MS has decided that they have to follow Apple's model of low priced upgrades. That will undoubtedly have a big impact on Microsoft's financials. Instead of $129 to $299 per upgrade, they'll get $40 per upgrade (although Apple's $20 covers every computer in your house, so MS is still much more expensive). They will make up some of the difference in volume, but since there's really no compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I don't know just how successful that will be.