Senator says Apple e-book suit could destroy publishing industry

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I mentioned Hugh Howey and his amazing Wool series in my prior post and since the guy is so upfront about what he does and how he does it, I thought I would check his blog as to experiences with Apple.

The guy is as nice as can be and as you see the primary discussion is about Nook and how well their website drives people toward new and interesting titles. However he states this about Apple....

Apple, whom I love to death is clearly not the innovator here. They sound and act like a damn dinosaur. These new authors basically create communities around fans and they smartly take chances with their works. When an author has been interacting with the fans of the works and said fans are clamoring for the new release, no one should have to wait 2 weeks to a month for Apple to wipe their ass and get their content out there. If Amazon has a market advantage, it is because they've been a market innovator. I personally love Kindle Singles and have found more good books to read since I treated myself to my Kindle Touch than I had found in the previous half decade. It is just too simple.

Having a device that notes your reading habits and keeps recommending excellent books for $0.99-$4.99 from an array of new and interesting authors is a recipe for success, not failure. It is also the future. I don't give a crap what Senator Schumer wants to say or who he wants to protect. The future is coming and Apple can either jump on or go the way of the other dinosaurs.

You don't wait, you can install the Kindle or Nook Apps and download and read the books.

So how many other bookstores can you install on a kindle?

• Reply 42 of 89
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Schumer is clearly not intending to help the little guy with his statements.

It seems that way to you because you are taking the short and narrow view. The end game for Amazon, if the DoJ were successful, would be:

a. no bookseller competition and the ability to raise prices as much as they want,

b. dictated exclusive deals with publishers (they've already started this practice) that keep bookselling competition out of the market, and eventually

c. complete control of the publishing industry, directly (through publishing themselves, which they are doing more and more of) and indirectly, and effectively the sole power to decide what will actually be published and how much they will make us pay for it.

All of those things are bad for "the little guy", and the inevitable result of installing Amazon with a government sanctioned monopoly, which would be the result of the DoJ's actions.

• Reply 43 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

Way to cherry pick your example.  You pulled the top 3 books, which just happen to be paperback books.  So yeah, you can get paperback books at 9.99 currently(or get the physical copies cheaper on amzon.  Why don't you try looking up the hardcover prices and try again, since it is the pricing of new release hardbacks that people are worried about, not the 50 shades of grey trilogy.

How much cheaper?

30c, 40?

Mate if you're that desperate for money go stand on a corner with a cup.

• Reply 44 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    You don't wait, you can install the Kindle or Nook Apps and download and read the books.

But one isn't forced to buy a Kindle to read ebooks bought from Amazon. If I want anything from itunes or the ibook store I have to have a idevice.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

<steaming pile of waffling rubbish>

Apple has individual agreements with anyone who sells anything through iTunes.

Everything follows the same model, music, TV shows, movies, Apps and iBooks.

THERE HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE ON THE OVERALL EFFECT OF APPLE'S ENTRY TO THE eBOOK MARKET ON THE AVERAGE PRICE OF eBOOKS, NONE, ZERO, ZIP.

If Amazon was NOT discounting title's as part of their attempt at price fixing certain titles to create a monopoly, as you contend then what is the fuss about?

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

First, if you want to continue to have a discussion, you are going to have address points made, not ignore them while screaming in all CAPS to reiterate your point.

Apple does not have the same agreements and model in place for books as they do for other content areas. That is an outright lie. It is your claim so support it. Please prove that Apple follows the agency model whereby the publisher of said content is the only person allowed to determine the price of said content and through fair use, cannot allow anyone to sell at a price less than Apple. Prove the claim or withdraw it.

If Amazon was engaged in predatory actions, then where is the suit against them? Where are the actions against them? It does not follow with regard to your reasoning.

Is this really the face of Apple now? Are we as Apple supporters the guys who want SOPA/PIPA to be the norm? Talk about having your cake and eating it too. Schumer is the face of established media conglomerates trying to shut down and control both free speech and the little guy's access to controlling and selling their own works. Schumer is the face of a government out of control and wanting to take down your speech without due process or concern for your rights.

• Reply 46 of 89
    trumptman wrote: »
    First, if you want to continue to have a discussion, you are going to have address points made, not ignore them while screaming in all CAPS to reiterate your point.

Apple does not have the same agreements and model in place for books as they do for other content areas. That is an outright lie. It is your claim so support it. Please prove that Apple follows the agency model whereby the publisher of said content is the only person allowed to determine the price of said content and through fair use, cannot allow anyone to sell at a price less than Apple. Prove the claim or withdraw it.

If Amazon was engaged in predatory actions, then where is the suit against them? Where are the actions against them? It does not follow with regard to your reasoning.

Is this really the face of Apple now? Are we as Apple supporters the guys who want SOPA/PIPA to be the norm? Talk about having your cake and eating it too. Schumer is the face of established media conglomerates trying to shut down and control both free speech and the little guy's access to controlling and selling their own works. Schumer is the face of a government out of control and wanting to take down your speech without due process or concern for your rights.

Exactly, was the music industry allowed to set prices or did Apple set the $0.99 per song price and only those that agreed then allowed to sell music on itunes? Was that price not way below that anyone could compete with? Did Apple not effectively kill off its competitors with that pricing model?
  • Reply 47 of 89

Quote:

I don't install the Kindle or Nook apps and download and read the books. I download the Kindle or Nook app. I go to a web browser, be it in Safari on my iPhone or some other browser on a computer. I buy the book. I ask Amazon to deliver it to my Kindle app on my device and then I go to the app, open it and watch it download. That is several steps longer than Apple allows or requires for iBooks whereby I hit a single button and go to the iBookstore.

As for how many other bookstores I can install on my Kindle Touch, the answer is probably zero. I can buy from other sources and install them onto my Kindle though and I can email books to my kindle from other stores and have them wirelessly delivered. People are certainly side-loading other book stores onto the Fire though so I suspect it is more about interest and progress than ill intent. I don't think I've ever read or heard about Kobo or BN submitting their apps for Kindle Touch and having them declined. They appear to prefer to sell their own $79-99 devices instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It seems that way to you because you are taking the short and narrow view. The end game for Amazon, if the DoJ were successful, would be:

a. no bookseller competition and the ability to raise prices as much as they want,

b. dictated exclusive deals with publishers (they've already started this practice) that keep bookselling competition out of the market, and eventually

c. complete control of the publishing industry, directly (through publishing themselves, which they are doing more and more of) and indirectly, and effectively the sole power to decide what will actually be published and how much they will make us pay for it.

All of those things are bad for "the little guy", and the inevitable result of installing Amazon with a government sanctioned monopoly, which would be the result of the DoJ's actions.

It has nothing to do with my view. It has to do with the fact that no agency that enforces our laws and protects our rights has seen fit to find problems with what they have done and take action. When you allege someone or some entity is breaking the law or is engaging in predatory actions and none of the affected entities or agencies responsible have taken any action, then the claim is CRAP.

Apple feels like Android is stealing their intellectual property without permission or compensation, they sue. They petition the court. They file patents. They take action.

Apple has in no form or fashion taken any action against Amazon nor have they requested any court, agency or anyone else to take action against Amazon. The publishers have not done so either and all of these are BIG GUYS with deep pockets and plenty of lawyers.

So the claim simply has no merit. The publishers and Apple made their rationales VERY transparent. Apple wanted to protect their 30%. The publishers wanted to keep up the price of hard cover books. They all colluded together to make it happen and Amazon took the hit. The DOJ complaint also makes it clear that Apple pondered a collusion with Amazon whereby they would ask Amazon if they wanted to each keep their market niches and not compete against each other, Apple with music and media, Amazon with books. Apple clearly has a mindset of keeping their 30% and colluding with whoever will agree to whatever crazy conditions it takes to make it happen. It's wrong. It's a change from Apple's past. They need to fix it.

• Reply 48 of 89

Quote:

It has nothing to do with my view. It has to do with the fact that no agency that enforces our laws and protects our rights has seen fit to find problems with what they have done and take action. When you allege someone or some entity is breaking the law or is engaging in predatory actions and none of the affected entities or agencies responsible have taken any action, then the claim is CRAP.

So, according to your logic, if you aren't charged with a crime, you haven't committed it. That damage unrecognized does not exist. And, conversely, that if you have been charged you are guilty.

Unfortunately, the wrong person is often charged, and convicted, of a crime they didn't commit, all because the "authorities" are convinced they are right and ignore evidence to the contrary. Criminals walk because they crimes are recognized.

Arguing that Amazon is innocent of past crimes, and will never commit any in the future, because they haven't yet been charged with any tosses rationality out the window.

• Reply 49 of 89
    anonymouse wrote: »
    So, according to your logic, if you aren't charged with a crime, you haven't committed it. That damage unrecognized does not exist. And, conversely, that if you have been charged you are guilty.

Unfortunately, the wrong person is often charged, and convicted, of a crime they didn't commit, all because the "authorities" are convinced they are right and ignore evidence to the contrary. Criminals walk because they crimes are recognized.

Arguing that Amazon is innocent of past crimes, and will never commit any in the future, because they haven't yet been charged with any tosses rationality out the window.

And Apple never set the price of something lower than any competitor could match and got a almost monopolistic stranglehold on a industry? It's okay if Apple does it but God forbid anyone else try it.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member

Couldn't agree with the good Senator more. Because of Amazon, I've had to price my books at no higher than $9.99 because at anything higher, amazon drops from 70% to 35% royalties; without Apple's 70% across the board, amazon would still be paying authors and publishers 35%.  I've put years into most of my dictionaries and find it galling that I have to accept throwaway prices or nothing at all.

Publishers simply can't afford to put books on the shelf because they're being squeezed to death by amazon. 

You might say, screw the publishers…wrong; without them, we're at the mercy of people who self-publish drivel, can't spell and won't copy edit. 

• Reply 51 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And Apple never set the price of something lower than any competitor could match and got a almost monopolistic stranglehold on a industry? It's okay if Apple does it but God forbid anyone else try it.

First of all, "could" be as bad as Amazon isn't even an argument. Secondly, what "almost monopolistic stranglehold" has Apple ever had on an industry? (Hint, iTunes Music store would be one of many possible incorrect answers, because they don't and never have.) Third, Apple has never engaged in product dumping -- i.e., selling something below cost -- which is exactly what Amazon has been doing with strategic titles, as well as dumping so called "self published" titles, at the expense of the authors.

Apple could do a lot of things. But, they haven't done any of the things you suggest they could do, nor have they ever shown any inclination to do the things you suggest they could do. Amazon, however, has done these things, precisely to get a monopolistic stranglehold on the bookselling and publishing industries.

• Reply 52 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

Couldn't agree with the good Senator more. Because of Amazon, I've had to price my books at no higher than $9.99 because at anything higher, amazon drops from 70% to 35% royalties; without Apple's 70% across the board, amazon would still be paying authors and publishers 35%.  I've put years into most of my dictionaries and find it galling that I have to accept throwaway prices or nothing at all.

Publishers simply can't afford to put books on the shelf because they're being squeezed to death by amazon. 

You might say, screw the publishers…wrong; without them, we're at the mercy of people who self-publish drivel, can't spell and won't copy edit. 

Exactly, although, even they will be at the mercy of Amazon, along with the readers, if the DoJ succeeds in this colossally stupid misadventure.

• Reply 53 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

"Name-calling is for morons..."

Love it.

• Reply 54 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Please tell us where Apple created an "almost monopolistic stranglehold" by pricing something lower than any competitor could match? And please be specific - no vague allegations.
  • Reply 55 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

I went much further than saying there wasn't anyone being charged with a crime. I said there was no one even claiming to be the victim of a crime. It isn't as if Apple, who certainly isn't shy with a lawsuit, has contended that Amazon has monopoly status and that they would be unable to be competitive in the marketplace. The publishers never claimed this either. The agency model came into place because Apple wanted 30% and the publishers wanted higher e-book prices to prop up hardcover book sales. The claim that Amazon was taking losses and hurting others has been repeated but never proven nor have I even heard anyone mention any claimant.

Aside from repeating the claim, can you find someone, somewhere that declared Amazon was putting them out of the e-book retailing business?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I find this claim strange because Hugh Howey specifically notes that the Amazon royalty rate doubles when you get out of the $0.99 area. Of course he is self-published. Amazon's own page on this matter seems to reflect a royalty rate of 70% and shows no upper limit on price.

• Reply 56 of 89

Quote:

Aside from repeating the claim, can you find someone, somewhere that declared Amazon was putting them out of the e-book retailing business?

Barnes & Noble has opposed the settlement and lawsuit on exactly those grounds. Apple and the publishers with the courage to not give in to the DoJ's bullying tactics are fighting the charges on exactly those grounds. And, although you disingenuously tried to limit the scope of your question to e-books (an entirely artificial limitation), Amazon's tactics have clearly affected Borders, in particular, as well as thousands of independent booksellers.

Aside from ignoring all cases where someone has declared that Amazon's practices monopolistic and tending toward eliminating all competition, can you find any evidence, anywhere, that supports your (baseless) assertion that Amazon wasn't exercising monopoly power in bookselling and won't revert to those practices if granted a sanctioned monopoly with government dictated term imposed on publishers?

The bottom line here is that the DoJ is handing Amazon the book industry on a silver platter.

• Reply 57 of 89
    jragosta wrote: »
    Please tell us where Apple created an "almost monopolistic stranglehold" by pricing something lower than any competitor could match? And please be specific - no vague allegations.

What's Apple's market share in music right now? They're the biggest retailer in music with a market share of almost 80%. Is that not monopolistic? How many music retailers were there pre itunes and how many are there now?
  • Reply 58 of 89
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 175member

Quote:

How much cheaper?

30c, 40?

Mate if you're that desperate for money go stand on a corner with a cup.

Funny, I am an avid reader and will probably go through more books this year than you will in your lifetime(Im being generous in assuming you have picked up a book before).  You do realize (most)paperbacks on amazon are buy 3 get the 4th free?  So essentially there is another 25% discount, on top of the already cheaper price.  What I am saying is that your using paperback books as your arguing point when the point was new release books is invalid.  Instead of ignoring my other point, look up the top selling hardback fiction and compare those prices. 

An lets look at these paperbacks.  Be reasonable here, is there any reason I should be able to buy a new paperback book cheaper than I can buy the same ebook?  There is no printing cost, no warehousing cost, no shipping cost, no overprint costs etc.  Yet, by your argument, that 9.99 for those books is completely reasonable and is a positive result of this "increased competition"?  Yes, I know, they have to keep track of who purchased what and who has the right to download this and that, but that is still far cheaper than the logistics involved in printing books.

• Reply 59 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What's Apple's market share in music right now? They're the biggest retailer in music with a market share of almost 80%. Is that not monopolistic? How many music retailers were there pre itunes and how many are there now?

No, that's not monopolistic. Furthermore, I'd love to see the support for your claim that Apple has 80% of the music market. I'm also still waiting for your evidence that Apple did anything wrong.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    apple///apple/// Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

With that crystal ball of yours can you throw out some lottery numbers? Get over it, Amazon only had a monopoly because they were first to the market with a killer product. They never used that position to hurt consumers, they used it too break up the monopoly the publishers had and forced them to abandon their antiquated business model. Apple used his fact to conspire against amazon so they can get their foot in the door and they got caught. This politician, ha, lobbying at its best. The fools that keep spouting off about this supposed monopoly that Amazon will have can only speculate and have zero evidence Amazon will harm consumers, they didn't in the past, why would they now? As for the publishers, get in the 21st century, no on wants physical books anymore. The consumer is rapidly moving to digital. I am glad Amazon dismantled the publishers monopoly and I am glad Apple got burned and it has come to light to show Apple cares about one thing, bottom line. If Amazon having a monopoly means I Payless for eBooks, good. I hope the DOJ slaps he crap out of Apple and the other publishers. Forces them back to being competitive and I can go back to $9.99 new releases. If the publishers don't like it, don't sell eBooks.

You show some narrow mind here.

Plenty of people will continue to buy physical books. The sale of the physical book will not cease for the foreseeable future.

It also seems that you may also have a crystal ball.