Made in America: Apple's supply chain increasing US production

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    shamino wrote: »
    We need both, skilled and unskilled jobs.  While it might be nice if everybody could have a high-paying high-tech job, the fact is that large amounts of the population either can't or don't want that kind of job.  It would be better for these people to have factories to work in than for them to be unemployed.
    Many people don't get this, some simply don't want the stress and responsibility that goes with higher paid jobs. Ive seen this first hand in manufacturing in the US where you get a very negative reaction when you tell a person they can do more, move up the ladder or whatever. In some cases they are far more interested in being in front of a machine for 8 hours and not having to think all that hard.
    I don't believe the myth of jobs Americans won't take.  If the pay is fair, there are plenty of people who will take the job.
    For the most prt this is true. There are however those with a liberal mind set that think they are entitled to the job they were trained for or went to college for. I've atually seen marriages ruined over this mindset, in one case a guy laid off from the banking industry insisted on another banking job while his wife worked to support the family. Sadly ones level of education doesn't indicate their level of stupidity.

Hopefully these people are in the minority, for the most part Americans will take jobs where wages are competitive.
    I was recently in Phoenix, AZ, where they have recently imposed very strict laws to ensure that illegals don't work.  You know what happened?  The work is still getting done, but now English speaking Americans (including plenty of Hispanics - who are in the US legally) are doing the work.  Maybe the employers have had to start paying better wages than what they were paying the illegals, but that's not a bad thing.

Isn't it funny that Obama is supporting slave labor rates right in this country by not enforcing immigration laws? It is pretty pathetic that those that support illegal immigration do so for the most part for their own selfish interests.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

About 15 years ago many high tech companies were moving into Ireland.  I don't know what has happened since then.  Maybe they discovered that they really don't speak english LOL.

Ireland took a great thing and screwed it up all by themselves.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/03/michael-lewis-ireland-201103

• Reply 23 of 37
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I am not an USA citizen, but this is good news.

Actually, this is arguably very bad new on almost any level.  

I know all the USA-ians are going to be hi-fiving about this, but production is actually more efficient and better economically for everyone if it's spread out around the world.  If every country had the entire supply chain for it's products within it's own borders, the world would be much worse off for it.  If China, with it's large workforce can't get enough manufacturing work for it's population it will cause huge disruption.  Disruption that will affect everyone else.  

Trying to keep all production in the USA is simply not a good idea and it's based in xenophobic and isolationist philosophies that were proven to be bankrupt years ago.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I despise the Microsoft and Google bizStrategy, it is for lazy firms like DELL and HP …

Any company can take on Apple, now with Microsoft and Google bizStrategy, going for more market share with licensing-spree it is difficult to create an Apple or Microsoft or Google-like firm from scratch.

This part is total gibberish.  What are you trying to say here?  

• Reply 24 of 37
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Surprising to see Texas Instruments on this list. Are they still making the same models of graphing calculators, for the same retail price, since 1994?

of course they are.

TI is a whole lot more than graphing calculators.  Their semiconductor business dwarfs any business they have in the educational segment.

Anyway, the oldest model of graphing calculator TI currently has in production is the TI-73, originally released in 1998.  Price can be a difficult thing to drive down when all the traditional competition has failed to gain any traction in recent years.

• Reply 25 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

China is becoming less attractive as a manufacturing base for America because our dollar is dropping like a stone. It's getting cheaper to do things in the US.

• Reply 26 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Isn't it funny that Obama is supporting slave labor rates right in this country by not enforcing immigration laws? It is pretty pathetic that those that support illegal immigration do so for the most part for their own selfish interests.

Umm..... there is absolutely no need to make this political in this cheap, partisan fashion.

Every single President, at least since Reagan, has dropped the ball on illegal immigration. And, you should know that it's the US Supreme Court, in a fairly unambiguous decision, that said that the Federal government's approach was (by and large) correct (again, that is not to say that I agree. Or not).

• Reply 27 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Trying to keep all production in the USA is simply not a good idea and it's based in xenophobic and isolationist philosophies that were proven to be bankrupt years ago. 

Oh, I am not too worried.

Production will ultimately stay in the US only if it can compete globally on costs, conditional on quality and speed.

• Reply 28 of 37
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, I am not too worried.

Production will ultimately stay in the US only if it can compete globally on costs, conditional on quality and speed.

Yeah.  But my point was that even if it can "compete globally on costs, conditional on quality and speed," it is still a bad idea that's bad for the planet overall.  

• Reply 29 of 37
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

For the most prt this is true. There are however those with a liberal mind set that think they are entitled to the job they were trained for or went to college for. I've atually seen marriages ruined over this mindset, in one case a guy laid off from the banking industry insisted on another banking job while his wife worked to support the family. Sadly ones level of education doesn't indicate their level of stupidity.

People's inability to grasp reality and accept what has happened is not a partisan issue.  A lot of people are just scared to death to try and do something new and they know they won't make nearly as much at something else, so they try and force getting a job in their old line of work.  Doesn't always work out.

Quote:

Hopefully these people are in the minority, for the most part Americans will take jobs where wages are competitive.

Well, you aren't supposed to employ illegal immigrants anyway, so how is there being a promotion of slave labor rates?  BTW, slaves were woned and not paid, so unless illegal immigrants are being chained up, whipped and not paid a dime for their efforts, you don't have a leg to stand on here.  Choose your words more carefully.

• Reply 30 of 37
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

These "slaves" actually get paid for their work. Which means they are part of what most average Americans are a part of: wage-slavery.

• Reply 31 of 37

Quote:

"We have a very talented pool of resources in Silicon Valley and across (the) U.S. to develop new process technologies and do cost effective manufacturing, while protecting critical intellectual property," Jain said.

Finally somebody gets it. Spending the last 15 years sending all our intellectual property overseas is a key reason why many overseas companies (particularly in East Asia) can effectively compete with American companies today. We give our potential competitors the technology to compete, as well as the technology to manufacture it.

The upshot, of course, is that American CEOs who outsource this stuff get paid to do it, because a short term boost in quarterly earnings due to reduced costs usually equates to a huge CEO bonus. It helps the richest Americans get richer, quicker. So it's great if you're a rich CEO.

If things go south, well the CEO always the golden parachute to fall back on.

Naturally, long term this process increases the disparity between the richest and poorest Americans, since the poorest ones most likely to do the assembly, etc, are the ones getting the shaft in all this. And the process is not sustainable long term. Once all our technology is in our competitor's hands, we're basically screwed.

It's ironic the corporate leader who made the statement quoted above is from India.

• Reply 32 of 37
    No, this is a terrible article. I've seen better in the National Enquirer.
    The headline says Apples supply chain is increasing US production, inferring Apple is using more US parts.
    The article itself makes the point that tracking this info is nearly impossible. So which is it?

If more US parts are going into devices, then why? Have US trade or tax policies had an effect? ALL companies put profits over patriotism.
    And NO corporation has ever died defending the United States.
  • Reply 33 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

The headline says Apples supply chain is increasing US production, inferring Apple is using more US parts.

The article itself makes the point that tracking this info is nearly impossible. So which is it?

If more US parts are going into devices, then why? Have US trade or tax policies had an effect? ALL companies put profits over patriotism.

For many of the parts, it is difficult to identify the source. However, from what can be traced, it is evident that many of the parts are manufactured in the US, which is consistent with statements made by Apple executives. While reasons for this practice are not carefully examined, quotes imply that there is a preference to do business locally, without respect to US trade or tax policies. This article is not perfectly comprehensive, but it does share information we may not have known. Why not try to appreciate the article for what it is?

Also, the blanket statement that "ALL companies put profits over patriotism" puts them all in the same bucket, emphasizing their inherent flaws. The intent may be to raise suspicion, but I think this is counterproductive. Some companies value their public image and take steps in response to the values of their consumers. By ignoring earnest attempts to "do the right thing" and lumping all companies together, we remove incentives for good behavior. It would be more productive to help in discerning between earnest attempts at good behavior and deception. This would help to identify companies more worthy of support and help to encourage good behavior. Could we try not to expect perfection and try to do what is within our means?

• Reply 34 of 37
    lualua Posts: 7member

"... more of the iPhone is ...". now that is just so sad and pathetic.

• Reply 35 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lua View Post

"... more of the iPhone is ...". now that is just so sad and pathetic.

In what way? It's a shortening of "more of the components of the iPhone", and as the subject changes from plural to singular, it's accurate, if non-standard.

• Reply 36 of 37
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    gazoobee wrote: »

This part is total gibberish.  What are you trying to say here?  
    I wrote:
    I despise the Microsoft and Google bizStrategy, it is for lazy firms like DELL and HP …
    Any company can take on Apple, now with Microsoft and Google bizStrategy, going for more market share with licensing-spree it is difficult to create an Apple or Microsoft or Google-like firm from scratch.

Gibberish?!

Any startUp company can take on Apple, and will be competing with Apple only, whereas competing with Google And Microsoft on the smartPhone market means competing with a bunch of lazy firms which use Google and Microsoft as an humblella.
    Is that gibberish?!

gazoobee wrote: »
    Actually, this is arguably very bad new on almost any level.  

I know all the USA-ians are going to be hi-fiving about this, but production is actually more efficient and better economically for everyone if it's spread out around the world.  If every country had the entire supply chain for it's products within it's own borders, the world would be much worse off for it.  If China, with it's large workforce can't get enough manufacturing work for it's population it will cause huge disruption.  Disruption that will affect everyone else.  

I am sure you are better equipped than Apple own CEO.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

German companies pay more taxes than USA ones, and there are USA companies thriving in Germany. But most are in the greenEnergy sector.
    Perhaps it is an Anglo-Saxon mentality.