Verizon sells 2.7M iPhones in Q2, smartphone penetration hits 50%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let's face it, the so-called "smartphone" is the future of phones and Apple called it first.

Apple indeed has revolutionized the modern smartphone into an era where everyone else follows, but don't be delusional. The term goes back 10 years before Apple ever had one. 

• Reply 22 of 27

Waiting for magic mushroom or whatever his name is to come and say those 2.9 million Android devices were all GS2's or GS3's running ICS and that no carrier is selling Android 2.2 or 2.3 phones anymore.

BTW, a quick filter of Android + 4G at the Verizon store and the first 2 phones that came up were running 2.3 and had 4G. A Pantech and some other phone I've never heard of.

I wonder, will any carrier or Android OEM ever do a breakdown of the devices they sell? Or are they content to let the fandroids believe that all they sell are high-end devices?

• Reply 23 of 27
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what the penetration would be if Apple had never released an iPhone?

That would be very interesting to know. I would guess the penetration world be much much lower since the iPhone inspired and led to Android as well but alas we will never know.

• Reply 24 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    realistic wrote: »

That would be very interesting to know. I would guess the penetration world be much much lower since the iPhone inspired and led to Android as well but alas we will never know.

Besides that it also made typical users consider buying smartphones for once. It wasn't just a tech geek or business related tool. The iPhone herald in the era where the smartphone was a handset everyone could/should consider. I'm sure that smartphone use would have increased but I can't imagine it would be as high as it today without more than 50% of US customers buying smartphones, and with what looks to be about 50% of all smartphones from the major US carriers being iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Proof that this depression is intentional.

Why?

Economy is about selling and buying. Stop the Austerity crap until the unemployment is down enough, austerity is killing the small biz.

Talk to the baby.

• Reply 26 of 27
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Talk to the baby.

No problemo!

Sure he/she is more intelligent than the current rightWing nuts.

• Reply 27 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Besides that it also made typical users consider buying smartphones for once. It wasn't just a tech geek or business related tool. The iPhone herald in the era where the smartphone was a handset everyone could/should consider. I'm sure that smartphone use would have increased but I can't imagine it would be as high as it today without more than 50% of US customers buying smartphones, and with what looks to be about 50% of all smartphones from the major US carriers being iPhones.

Smartphones just became the new feature phones. I believe the term smartphone has changed over time. What comprised smartphone then, were mere productivity tools and none of the app or game hype. Still, it is a welcome evolution that was brought to us by Apple. But it would seem that the one that fostered change now seeks to keep us steady.