Google acquires Apple-oriented email client Sparrow ahead of iPad app release

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In what ways have you found Apple's email client deficient?

Oh, I haven't. I use Mail everywhere; no third-party stuff.

But I don't have to use an alternative to know that Google buying up one of them is bad news for everyone.

• Reply 42 of 95
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you don't own your own mail server and prefer to download and archive your messages or read mail while off line, POP3 would be useful for that.

I'm not saying it doesn't have it's uses.  For the average end user however, the whole concept of "downloading your mail from the server" just to read it is poison IMO.  

I wish I had the several years of my life back that I spent explaining to PhD's that all of their email was deleted off the server and that yes, it was their fault, and ... no, being smart and having a PhD doesn't mean you can't make colossally stupid mistakes with POP email.  

• Reply 43 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...and Google Voice actions (Some refer to it as Google Now but that's a different feature). Very impressive performance in Android 4.1.1 in the little bit of time I got to use it. Shockingly accurate and fast!

Googleguy praises a Google product. News at 11.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A dark day, indeed.

Why? I use Sparrow with my Google Apps account so I imagine it's only going to get better now!

• Reply 45 of 95
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

Such moves are an admission that you can do no better.

Basically, Google is admitting that their interface sucks for Gmail.

So they had to hire some Apple developers.

LOL.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

But for goodness sakes, stop stealing in the future and how about giving back what you have already taken...

• Reply 46 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Google couldn't care less about the success of Sparrow. If killing Sparrow means more money in Google's pocket (i.e., more of your personal information to sell), they'll kill it. If keeping it is the way to increase Google's ad revenues, they'll do that. The app itself is of no interest - which is why most Google products are crap (with Google Maps and Google search being the exceptions).

Google Chrome, Mail, Docs and Sites are crap?

• Reply 47 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Googleguy praises a Google product. News at 11.

I guess that makes you his alter ego since you only seem to bad mouth Google for some reason.

• Reply 48 of 95
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is pure historical revisionism.  

The fact is, Microsoft bought Bungie before Apple did.  

All that other stuff where you ascribe personal motives to Steve Jobs and "get inside his head" to tell us what he was thinking ... is just made up.  

Totally agree.  It wasn't some strange "Well, Jobs chose not to buy them and gave Microsoft the opportunity to screw Apple."  Apple wasn't looking to get into the games business, and as evidence of that: They haven't to the present day.

Microsoft had a very valid reason to buy a studio, particularly when they saw a strong title that they could lock up for the XBox platform. Obviously it was a buzzkill for the Apple community to see the leading Mac game studio suddenly owned by Microsoft, but making it some malicious personal game seems like a stretch.

• Reply 49 of 95
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 50 of 95
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexor View Post

Oh quit reminding us of that!  I even remember Steve Jobs demoing a pre-release version of Halo at a MacWorld.. that's probably even where MS saw it and decided to buy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirKneeland View Post

Google has become the new Microsoft.

Long-time Apple fans will remember when they robbed the Mac of getting Halo by purchasing Bungie...

Yup I remember finding that out and then posting that on here and no one believed me, then later that day the news was public.

• Reply 51 of 95

Quote:

If Apple's email client is sufficient this acquisition should be inconsequential for the iOS platform.

Er, why?

• Reply 52 of 95
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

If Apple's email client is sufficient this acquisition should be inconsequential for the iOS platform.

Speaking for myself, Mail on iOS works beautifully, whether it's with y iCloud mail, Gmail or Hotmail. It's just . . . clean. 

On a Mac, I find the experience of Mail.app + a Gmail account to be a bit messy. The left sidebar - the way it's organized - doesn't provide me with a clean separation between accounts. It looks rather jumbled. 

Mail.app with the everyday Apple mail (iCloud) account works great, though. So my only concern is having a better way to use Gmail than the Mail app in OS X. So far, it's been Sparrow.

• Reply 53 of 95

B.S. Google has a lot great, useful services like youtube, finance (way better than yahoo, IMO), translate, drive, and calendar. You can be a fanboy and still recognize the contribution of companies like google make to internet

• Reply 54 of 95
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Sparrow for iOS is shit. Deleted it 30 minutes after downloading.
  • Reply 55 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

You can be a fanboy and still recognize the contribution of companies like google make to internet

Very few posters in this forum understand that....

• Reply 56 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

…contribution of… …google… …to [the] internet

I'm… trying to think of one. It's all so marred by their policies (or the societal change for the worse) that it's troublesome. 

• Reply 57 of 95
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    B.S. Google has a lot great, useful services like youtube, finance (way better than yahoo, IMO), translate, drive, and calendar. You can be a fanboy and still recognize the contribution of companies like google make to internet. 

The only app that you mentioned which is any good is YouTube, and they bought that.
  • Reply 58 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

The only app that you mentioned which is any good is YouTube, and they bought that.

What's wrong with translate, drive and calendar? I use them all the time and find them quite good.

• Reply 59 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm… trying to think of one. It's all so marred by their policies (or the societal change for the worse) that it's troublesome. 

Are you saying that the product is good in functionality but their policies make them inherently bad?

• Reply 60 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Are you saying that the product is good in functionality but their policies make them inherently bad?

I'm saying that I had a post written up and then I was commenting on a single quibble I had with the new editor (which once again works with modern Safari) and Safari itself crashed, deleting what I'd written, so until I stop being internally steamed, this post will have to suffice.

You're close; I'll say that now.