Samsung accuses Apple of refusing to license 3G patents

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Most likely, given the nature of the patents, Samsung is a) attempting to double dip, licensing fees already having been paid by the chipmaker, and b) only asking for licensing fees for these because FRAND patents are all they have. Apple is most likely right to ignore them.

Very likely something like that. 

Or Samsung is asking for a fee that Apple feels is not reasonable and was set so high because it is Apple. When it comes to such games the only way to right the situation often is willfully violate the patents to force it to court to expose what is typically confidential info and then to have the courts tell the controllers to set proper terms. It's actually a common ploy when it comes to FRAND patents

• Reply 22 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

If they're essential, then surely they're FRAND-obligated?  And if they're FRAND-obligated, doesn't the licensing need to be non-discriminatory?  And if the licensing needs to be non-discriminatory, then surely there's no need for negotiations, because there should be a set licensing cost?

Yes and no. There isn't just an issue of the cost but also the forms of payment. We've seen Google trying to get access to non FRAND patents by trying to claim the 'de facto standard' BS. For all we know Samsung was asked for a license and said yes but not for cash. They might have been demanding access to a non standard patent that Apple isn't obligated to license and thus refused. And basically told them that until that was off the table and Samsung brought a cash request the talks weren't happening. Which Samsung would deem 'not negotiating' because it makes them look like victims

• Reply 23 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    muppetry wrote: »
    This thread definitely demonstrates that a lot of people don't read past the title...

I always read the article but sometimes I do have a comment to make soley on what I read in the title and I obviously read the title before I read the article. Another thing to consider is that these aren't like titles of books but are usually presented as single sentence declarations of the article's subject.

After I read the title I then read the summary paragraph, as one would expect. In this case it reinforces the title because of it ambiguity. It almost seems deliberate. They could have written,"Apple has refused to enter into negotiations to license Samsung's essential 3G patents for the iPhone and iPad." That is shorter and yet clearly removes any ambiguity or the odd title statement. Getting to paragraph three before I get an M. Night Shyamalan-ian twist doesn't make for good reading and it is the responsibility of the writer to make their point as clear as possible for their readers.

Mentioning Shymalan reminds me of this clip from South Park: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155705/just-some-kid
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Sounds like Samsung is using Motorola's playbook. In the Apple/Moto lawsuits, how has Apple done in arguing that they were covered by Qualcomm's license when the bought chips from Qualcomm that used Moto IP? It seems like Apple should have easily won based on a) being covered as a customer of Qualcomm b) FRAND principles against discriminatory terms. But hasn't Apple been having a rough go with the various courts with their moto cases?

• Reply 25 of 32
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Mentioning Shymalan reminds me of this clip from South Park: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155705/just-some-kid

Requires flash. I don't have the "full" web on my iPad. :o)
  • Reply 26 of 32
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    festerfeet wrote: »
    just_me wrote: »
    lol yup
    muppetry wrote: »
    This thread definitely demonstrates that a lot of people don't read past the title...
    Really?, two people have questioned whether the title is appropriate as a leader to the rest of the article and both made it perfectly clear that they must have read the article as well............or didn't you read the rest of the posts?

I read all the posts. I responded to Soli's, agreeing that the title was misleading. Then 15 and 16 appeared, both clearly not having read the article or the subsequent posts. In any case, my comment was just an observation and not intended to come over as critical as it did - my mistake.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Am I alone in not realizing that Apple even had 3G patents that Samsung, or anyone, thinks are essential?

Maybe Samsung is referring to iPhone 3G - they want a license for copying its design.

• Reply 28 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sounds like Samsung is using Motorola's playbook. In the Apple/Moto lawsuits, how has Apple done in arguing that they were covered by Qualcomm's license when the bought chips from Qualcomm that used Moto IP? It seems like Apple should have easily won based on a) being covered as a customer of Qualcomm b) FRAND principles against discriminatory terms. But hasn't Apple been having a rough go with the various courts with their moto cases?

That case ran into Posner and his anti patents except for pharmaceuticals agenda.

• Reply 29 of 32
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Monday's hearing focused on two of the three patents -- Australian patents No. 2005202512 and No. 2006241621 -- that Samsung alleges Apple has violated.

I'm confused.

If this case is about Apple violating Samsung patents, why is Samsung arguing that Apple refuses to license patents to Samsung?

• Reply 30 of 32
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Monday's hearing focused on two of the three patents -- Australian patents No. 2005202512 and No. 2006241621 -- that Samsung alleges Apple has violated.

I'm confused.
    If this case is about Apple violating Samsung patents, why is Samsung arguing that Apple refuses to license patents to Samsung?

Just bad wording in the article I think - Samsung is complaining that Apple is refusing to negotiate a license from Samsung. Maybe the authors are unaware that the verb "to license" means to grant authority, not to receive it.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Got it.
    Thanks!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    festerfeetfesterfeet Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I read all the posts. I responded to Soli's, agreeing that the title was misleading. Then 15 and 16 appeared, both clearly not having read the article or the subsequent posts. In any case, my comment was just an observation and not intended to come over as critical as it did - my mistake.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

No problem, I was being snappy and should probably have left it.

Note to self: I shouldn't drink so much coffee!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }