Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Mail 6.0 & Notes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Originally Posted by Samphire View Post

Please could you be more explicit about "white space".  I have clicked everywhere but nothing seems to work.   This change in ML is most aggravating.

Sure thing. At the bottom of the column with the e-mail previews, there's whitespace. Start your clicking there and then drag upward across the messages you want.

• Reply 22 of 34

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work for me either in Classic or Normal view.  Indeed, there is no white space at the bottom of the preview panel.

Select-drag, Alt-select-drag and cmd-select-drag all do the same thing.  There's a lot of good things in Mail 6 so it can't be beyond the wit of Apple to allow one of these three commands to multiple select.

• Reply 23 of 34

Solved it.  A quick double select on the topmost or bottommost of the messages to be selected and then drag down or up.

• Reply 24 of 34

I can't make this work either. What is the difference between a "double select" and a double click (which opens the particular e-mail)?  It is driving me crazy not to be able to select multiple adjacent e-mails at once.  Used to be able to do this on my iBook using Leopard, but now, not on my MacBook Pro w/ Mountain Lion and Mail 6.0.  Not user friendly!

• Reply 25 of 34

Originally Posted by tsnola View Post

I can't make this work either. What is the difference between a "double select" and a double click (which opens the particular e-mail)?

Ah! I can help you out now! To drag and select multiple e-mails without whitespace below the list thereof, double-click on an e-mail and without releasing the second click, drag in the direction you choose over the e-mails you want.

• Reply 26 of 34

Yay! That works. Thank you so much!  What a time saver!

• Reply 27 of 34

Great, clear explanation, btw!

• Reply 28 of 34

I agree this works but it is frustrating to have to actually click instead of tap in the new version of mail.  I use a magic trackpad so double tapping and dragging to select messages was much easier.

• Reply 29 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm certainly trending that way!    The point remains though bring back server side management of mail would help many users.    

By the way before the change over I had a few rules in place to sort out some of my mail and left them in place when they switched over mobile me.    So far those roes are still sorting my mail.   This means the capability is still in place on Apples servers so maybe an interface will come back to the user community in the future.    In a world of iOS devices server side rules just make sense.

My only gripe about iCloud's email is the lack of management options in the web interface.  Specifically, junk settings.  With all the streamlining and integration Apple wants, why is it that if you use Mail in OSX and the junk filter in Mail...why can't it control the server's junk filter.  As of now, you either can have two independent junk filters on, or just one (Server).  You can't turn off the server junk filter.  What I am also peeved about is the fact that if the server marks any message as junk and you're out somewhere with only your iphone or ipad, it does NOT notify you that a message arrived in junk...there isn't any notifications or anything.  It should also be noted that I never receive junk mail at my @me.com account and that anything that arrives in junk is messages I want.  I also have the problem of the server continually marking the same sender as junk even though the address is in my address book and I've told the server the sender is not junk.

On a side note, I came across this thread when searching the web in regards to VIP mailbox and wanted to reply to this post.  Now that I registered, I'm off to explore the rest of the site. =)

• Reply 30 of 34
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member

I have about a thousand notes on plain text used to synced among my Mac, iPhone and iPad.  After upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, all notes disappeared from my Mac and they could not be synced to iCloud and those notes on iPhone and iPad cannot be synced back to the Mac and between iDevices via iTunes either.  (Only newly created notes can be synced).  It's Mail version 6.2 (1499) and Notes 1.1 (99) on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is still a disaster to me, to any Mac users who are not new enough to start using Mountain Lion as their first OS X.  

For the same token, in a few years time, will the existing OS X users suffer again and again with their valuable data unable to convert/import into a newer version of the applications?  What if you suddenly found all your emails were not able to retain in the next Mail version, say, Mail 7.0 and Apple and you just telling the "new" users how good the "new" features are on the "new" OS?

If you don't feel being dumped by Apple today, I'm sure one day in the future, you will share my today's feeling!

• Reply 31 of 34

Originally Posted by IvanH View Post

I have about a thousand notes on plain text used to synced among my Mac, iPhone and iPad.

How did you accomplish this? Where were the files stored?

• Reply 32 of 34
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member

The volume is a 10+ years effort!  I started using Outlook 2003 and moved on to Outlook 2007 on Microsoft Windows before syncing them via iTunes to iPod touch then iPhone and later to iPad as well.  The notes were syncing well on Snow Leopard and Lion.    It was a disaster in a couple of times when Apple upgraded iOS and OS X which duplicated my notes, contacts and music files and I had to manually and painfully delete the duplicates.  Notes on the Mac (under an mbox in Mail) had been cleaned to about a thousand and synced perfectly with iPhone and iPad until iOS6 and OS X Mountain Lion. 

The title of this thread should be "Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Mail 6.0 dumping existing Notes".

• Reply 33 of 34

Re selecting a group of emails to delete on Mountain Lion: Figured it out! You click on the first one you want to delete, and simultaneously hold down the control button and the click. With your other hand, you scroll up or down to highlight the mail items you want to delete. You can also click on specific ones and skip others not in the sequence. Then you let go, and click delete.

• Reply 34 of 34

THANK YOU! Having to delete one email at a time was driving me crazy. Using a mouse, left click twice, holding down the second click without releasing, drag upwards to highlight multiple emails to delete.