DoJ dismisses pro-Apple arguments in defense of e-book settlement terms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloFortyNine View Post

Have any one of you ever seen one of the pie charts that shows how much the Author gets from the sale of a book? It's always under a $1. The big publishers were looking for a way to save themselves from being forgotten about, because sites like Amazon make it to easy for an author to sell a book without a publisher, and Amazon only keeps something like 10%, giving a much greater sale.

And even if you choose not to agree with the above argument, common sense should tell you that a digital version of a book should always be MUCH cheaper than a paperback, not the same price or even more like it has been recently. Just think of all the costs that goes into printing a book, guessing how many copies you need, and distributing the books across the country. Meanwhile you can post a book on Amazon in under 5 minutes with a couple clicks.

And 3 of the 5 publishers have settled out of court.

This is a slam dunk for DoJ, and I am extremely proud that they are putting a stop to this price fixing.

Lots of flaws here in your argument.  Amazon's current pricing  is 30% cut and 70% to the publisher, then they add fees for a lot of other things and pretty soon your down to about 60% to amazon and 40% to the publisher.  Then lets say that your book becomes popular and amazon wants to undercut everyone on the planet they then make your book free!  It drums them up sales hits they compensate for it with the other parts of there business and best of all you as an indie publisher GO BROKE  

selling your book for free!  What a bargin!   Meanwhile Amazon keeps it monopoly on the market at around 90% and strong arms publishers to sell there books on amazons store because there is really nowhere else that can compete that can sell them (the remaining 10%).

Contrast that with apples iBook store agency model  you publish your book at the price you want (after all you wrote the book)  Apple takes 30% and you get a legitimate 70% with no fees attached and your book will never be sold for any less than you want.  The thing that has people mad is that the publishers themselves not apple decided that if the book is on sale at apples ibook store they wont sell it anywhere else for less.  Apple had nothing to do with that decision. Amazon does not like this.  They want to be able to undercut whomever they want, so they cry foul.  Note that amazon can still sell the books that are for sale on the apple store but at the same price.  The people that own the books have a right to sell there books for the price they want.

By the way apple uses the agency model to sell music, movies, tv shows, and audio books, it is a fair way to sell things.  

The DOJ has there head so far up there ass on this one they will be lucky if they win.  Even Senator Chuck Shumer wrote a letter to the doj asking them to drop this ridiculous law suit.

• Reply 22 of 72
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloFortyNine View Post

This is a slam dunk for DoJ, and I am extremely proud that they are putting a stop to this price fixing.

Except that isn't what happened. At all.

Except, it is what happened, entirely, unless you are just so committed to loving EVERYTHING Apple does...which, you decidedly are, post after post, facts supporting you, which they often do, or not, as in this case.

• Reply 23 of 72
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Lots of flaws here in your argument.  Amazon's current pricing  is 30% cut and 70% to the publisher, then they add fees for a lot of other things and pretty soon your down to about 60% to amazon and 40% to the publisher.  Then lets say that your book becomes popular and amazon wants to undercut everyone on the planet they then make your book free!  It drums them up sales hits they compensate for it with the other parts of there business and best of all you as an indie publisher GO BROKE  
    selling your book for free!  What a bargin!   Meanwhile Amazon keeps it monopoly on the market at around 90% and strong arms publishers to sell there books on amazons store because there is really nowhere else that can compete that can sell them (the remaining 10%).

Contrast that with apples iBook store agency model  you publish your book at the price you want (after all you wrote the book)  Apple takes 30% and you get a legitimate 70% with no fees attached and your book will never be sold for any less than you want.  The thing that has people mad is that the publishers themselves not apple decided that if the book is on sale at apples ibook store they wont sell it anywhere else for less.  Apple had nothing to do with that decision. Amazon does not like this.  They want to be able to undercut whomever they want, so they cry foul.  Note that amazon can still sell the books that are for sale on the apple store but at the same price.  The people that own the books have a right to sell there books for the price they want.

By the way apple uses the agency model to sell music, movies, tv shows, and audio books, it is a fair way to sell things.  

The DOJ has there head so far up there ass on this one they will be lucky if they win.  Even Senator Chuck Shumer wrote a letter to the doj asking them to drop this ridiculous law suit.

The only flaw to your ignorant filled statement is that Amazon pays for the books up front. If they choose to sell them for free, what does an indie author care, they are still paid. Amazon takes the loss. Keep making crap up, it is entertaining to read. The only party harmed here is the ancient business model the publishers are trying to hold on to. They refuse to except that they are no longer needed. Amazon will do all the work for the authors, promotion, distribution ect.... And instead of a measly 1% they used to get, now they get 30% and that scares the publishers.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Except, it is what happened, entirely, unless you are just so committed to loving EVERYTHING Apple does...which, you decidedly are, post after post, facts supporting you, which they often do, or not, as in this case.

Okay. That's obviously true. It certainly doesn't ignore the truth or the rest of the thread.

• Reply 25 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,955member
    This is the DoJ being stubborn and refusing to admit they fucked up. Now, to back down would be a huge ego blow to them, so they won't, regardless of the outcome and how much damage they do to the publishing industry. It's not about right or wrong, justice, or even the law at this point, it's about not admitting they were wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Apple is arrogant and most Apple  people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple..some of them actually believe that Apple products are high quality..yeah right

• Reply 27 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gtr wrote: »
    Utterly off topic, but when the hell is AppleInsider going to catch on that, in the past couple of days, Proview's own legal team is now suing Proview? For non-payment of fees, no less.

And you guys thought that the DoJ were 'naughty'... (>_<)

Funny but where are all the people arguing about what a fine, upstanding company Proview was and how Apple was simply ripping them off?

Have any one of you ever seen one of the pie charts that shows how much the Author gets from the sale of a book? It's always under a $1. The big publishers were looking for a way to save themselves from being forgotten about, because sites like Amazon make it to easy for an author to sell a book without a publisher, and Amazon only keeps something like 10%, giving a much greater sale.

Amazon always took a much larger percentage - even when it is an individual author.

An author selling their book via Apple gets 70% and Apple handles all the expenses.
    And even if you choose not to agree with the above argument, common sense should tell you that a digital version of a book should always be MUCH cheaper than a paperback, not the same price or even more like it has been recently. Just think of all the costs that goes into printing a book, guessing how many copies you need, and distributing the books across the country. Meanwhile you can post a book on Amazon in under 5 minutes with a couple clicks.

What's that got to do with anything? Maybe you should be complaining about Amazon. They had a near monopoly in the eBook market and the price of eBooks was close to the price of paperback books.
    [SIZE=24px]And 3 of the 5 publishers have settled out of court.[/SIZE]

The fact that some publishers settled doesn't change anything. Maybe the publishers felt that settling was cheaper than fighting. Maybe the DOJ gave them a great deal to settle. Or maybe the publishers colluded but Apple wasn't involved. Basically, you don't have any evidence at all that Apple is guilty.

daylove22 wrote: »
    Apple is arrogant and most Apple  people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple<span style="font-size:12px;line-height:14px;">..some of them actually believe that Apple products are high quality..yeah right</span>

Why don't you try to explain why Apple products are at or near the top of every product quality survey? Or why Apple's products have a longer longevity than competitors' products? Or why Apple products have a greater resale value than their competitors' products?
  • Reply 28 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Apple is arrogant and most Apple  people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple..some of them actually believe that Apple products are high quality..yeah right

• Reply 29 of 72
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Yeah, and whom did Amazon pay off?  Campaign contributions?  Back-room negotiations?  Seems awful odd that the DoJ would be so adamant about this considering the implications.  Then again, I would expect nothing less from this current Administration.  When is Eric Holder going to be disbarred?

Actually, it is surprising coming from the current administration. Despite claims to the contrary, Obama is quite conservative. He is nothing like Clinton who went after big tobacco and Microsoft.  Further, Obama was friends with Jobs.

So it is in that context that it is odd the DOJ has targeted Apple. It has gambled that consumers will be sympathetic to the increased price argument alluding to collusion. What the DOJ's complaint doesn't address, is that e-Books were under priced because of Amazon using its monopoly power in the traditional book market to control e-book prices. That is anti-competitive behavior. 

The government has a better case against the publishers then Apple because it only makes sense Apple would try to obtain the same agreement from all the publishers just like it has with music, and Apple doesn't compete against the publishers so it can't be guilty of collusion with a competitor. The publishers, however, are competitors with one another. 

• Reply 30 of 72
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The only flaw to your ignorant filled statement is that Amazon pays for the books up front. If they choose to sell them for free, what does an indie author care, they are still paid. Amazon takes the loss. Keep making crap up, it is entertaining to read. The only party harmed here is the ancient business model the publishers are trying to hold on to. They refuse to except that they are no longer needed. Amazon will do all the work for the authors, promotion, distribution ect.... And instead of a measly 1% they used to get, now they get 30% and that scares the publishers.

If I don't have an account with Amazon and don't want one because I don't like or trust them, should the author/publisher lose my business because the only game in town is Amazon.  By selling my book below cost, other ebook stores will not offer my book because they can't stay in business that way.  So by killing the market and leaving only Amazon, many opportunities to serve new customers will be lost.  

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 31 of 72
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    genovelle wrote: »
    If I don't have an account with Amazon and don't want one because I don't like or trust them, should the author/publisher lose my business because the only game in town is Amazon.  By selling my book below cost, other ebook stores will not offer my book because they can't stay in business that way.  So by killing the market and leaving only Amazon, many opportunities to serve new customers will be lost.  

Do you own a Mac or an iPod? Aren't those items priced considerably higher than similar competing items? So why is Apple all of a sudden worried about the price of a competitor? Is it because they're late to the game? Or because this is a rare instance that they cannot offer a better product?
  • Reply 32 of 72
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Do you own a Mac or an iPod? Aren't those items priced considerably higher than similar competing items? So why is Apple all of a sudden worried about the price of a competitor? Is it because they're late to the game? Or because this is a rare instance that they cannot offer a better product?

I don't think that's a fair analogy, since in this case they are not selling their own products - they are selling content that is also available from other companies. It's not a better or worse product and it's not a similar product - it's the same product.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

If arrogance = iPads and Retina Macs, then God Bless their "arrogance."

Objectivity? Most criticisms of Apple fall apart at the cash register.  Wallet ------> Open. 

(Yeah, you too, probably.)

See you in line. 

• Reply 34 of 72
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

IBooks will still be here, you just will pay more because Apple will pass any and all extra costs on to the consumer. I could care less if all sellers disappear, if it means lower cost to me so be it. Amazon was the only game In town and never raised the prices so I am comfortable that they won't again.
  • Reply 35 of 72

So the DOJ decided to cherry-pick less than 10% of the public comments which suited their argument and dismissed the rest as self-serving.

Does anybody else sense a note of irony here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a response to 868 public comments regarding its Apple e-book price fixing case, the U.S. Department of Justice on Monday released a statement saying it will not modify the terms of a proposed settlement and alleges that Amazon's dominant market position has been overstated.

The DoJ's statement dismisses the 789 comments made by various companies and industry players opposing the body's proposed final judgment, writing them off as "self-serving" and instead lauds certain examples individually picked from 70 supportive letters, reports Fortune.

• Reply 36 of 72
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

To paraphrase the typical "If you don't like it, don't buy it" response, if you don't like the U.S. Government, don't live in the U.S.

• Reply 37 of 72
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

To paraphrase the typical "If you don't like it, don't buy it" response, if you don't like the U.S. Government, don't live in the U.S.

2nd that!!

• Reply 38 of 72

[SIZE=24px]And 3 of the 5 publishers have settled out of court.[/SIZE]

So you have been that person next to the DOJ lawyers in all those economics classes... Whoops you didn't take those classes and neither did they.....

Sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about, especially in the big picture.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."  —Winston Churchill

• Reply 40 of 72
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Ive come to the conclusion that the DOJ is run by bozo the clown and his clown car freinds.

That's F'n hilarious! I had no idea what you were talking about until I googled it. I can't believe that was really a show! Although I never catch much TV because everything is horrible. Then again, some people are afraid of clowns... So maybe some thought that was horrible.

I learn so much from you folks! Thanks!