Review roundup: Apple's OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is a bargain at $20

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    So I downloaded Mountain Lion, installed it... It's no different from the previous version, except it has SIRI and Notification centre and some sharing options... 

This is software Apple already has developed on iOS and just polished for desktop version...

WHY do we pay for this on MAC? When they give it to us free on iOS?

It doesn't have Siri. Game center is limited because few programs use. OSX is not the same as iOS.

Notification center works as advertised. So really, what's your problem?

I'll send you a check for the &19.99, that your computer will run on for the next year+.

I actually have a problem with the basic functionality that was supposed to be resolved during beta testing. However, because fans test the software (not developers) and all the release notes vs. specific attention go unnoticed. Those problems do not get weeded out.

Enjoy your computer! It's probably a good one.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member

A good incremental update.  I hope they change the notification center icon.  It just doesn't feel like something Apple made.  I'd rather see notification center slide out when you move the mouse to the right side of the screen.  I think the notification center view should also be used for spotlight.  That would remove two menu extras that feel out of place.  It is kinda like they didn't know how to activate these features so they put them in the menu.  I do like how notification center slides out from under the screen.  It would be cool if the Dock worked the same way if it were hidden off the screen.  Maybe even an onscreen Dock should be in a separate partition like the menu.  I have never liked the fact that windows can slide under the Dock.  

• Reply 43 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by werdnanotroh View Post

It's no different from the previous version…

Except it is.

…except it has SIRI… 

Except it doesn't.

This is software Apple already has developed on iOS and just polished for desktop version...

Of course it is.

WHY do we pay for this on MAC? When they give it to us free on iOS?

…really?

• Reply 44 of 70
    esummers wrote: »
    A good incremental update.  I hope they change the notification center icon.  It just doesn't feel like something Apple made.  I'd rather see notification center slide out when you move the mouse to the right side of the screen.  I think the notification center view should also be used for spotlight.  That would remove two menu extras that feel out of place.  It is kinda like they didn't know how to activate these features so they put them in the menu.  I do like how notification center slides out from under the screen.  It would be cool if the Dock worked the same way if it were hidden off the screen.  Maybe even an onscreen Dock should be in a separate partition like the menu.  I have never liked the fact that windows can slide under the Dock.  

The icon looks real bad sitting right next to Apperature, doesn't it? Big blue blob, with a white blob... From a girls point of view, it's the ugliest thing there... Closest thing would be ....(Finder) but I'm afraid to mention that, lest they remove it!

Already my Mac Book Pro Retina shipped with 'Native Born' Lion, which I didn't realize they got rid of even the home folder, let alone the Application and Documents folder. It took me a long time to set it up right. Apparently, so it looked like Snow Leopard. I'm curious what computers with 'Native' Mountan Lion will look like...

What will be missing next?
  • Reply 45 of 70

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

The icon looks real bad sitting right next to Apperature, doesn't it? Big blue blob, with a white blob..

Er, what? Notification Center doesn't have an application icon. And the icon it does have lacks blue entirely.

…they got rid of even the home folder, let alone the Application and Documents folder.

None of these things happened.

• Reply 46 of 70
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Except it is.

Except it doesn't.

Of course it is.

…really?

Is it possible to block moderators? I am tired of your petulant "answers" spamming up the forums, which are otherwise utilized by thoughtful people.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Er, what? Notification Center doesn't have an application icon. And the icon it does have lacks blue entirely.

Yes it does have an icon. I'm very sorry, it's called "Messenger". ...and I stand by my previous statement.

Also, yes it did happen. On a newly purchased retina MacBook, the 'user' account is hidden from view, along with the main drive. Also, the documents folder and the application folder is not there on initial startup. Don't post that if you didn't see or experience it.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think she means the Messages icon.

On the second: yes, none of these things have happened here either.

• Reply 49 of 70

O.K. To clarify for some people I will try to talk slower.

The new icon is not for Notifications. I was misunderstood. Sorry. People did not know what I was speaking about because I replied to what a person wrote before me.

There is a new icon for iMessage which is very big and very blue. It also has a very big white blob in it with some dots. Smarter people can not see the icon. It was meant for us. Only us folk use this icon, and only us folk notice our home folder is gone.

Me have to leave now. Me hungry.

Really? C'mon. Don't take me as a complete fool. Maybe a fool here and there, but not completely. Please!
  • Reply 50 of 70

Yes it does have an icon. I'm very sorry, it's called "Messenger".

I see; no worries. You can always change icons. I find Messages to be better than iChat's.

…the 'user' account is hidden from view… 

That's not right, though. You're trying to tell me the home folder of the default user is a hidden file, inaccessible? Much less any of the others?

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Condescening post

You quoted someone talking about Notification Center. There's no way anyone could have known you were talking about Messages.

• Reply 51 of 70

On a more peer to peer point. (peer to peer doesn't really work in this case because I'm guessing you may be much older than I) Please, get a new Mac with Lion installed Natively. Meaning Snow Leopard was not on it beforehand. Then let me know if I missed something.

The Native "Lion" approach is more toward "Launch Pad". That's where all of your apps are, and there is a folder there (iOS folder) for utilities.

Still don't believe me, go to an Apple store. There must be some there with Lion installed Natively.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    I see; no worries. You can always change icons. I find Messages to be better than iChat's.

That's not right, though. You're trying to tell me the home folder of the default user is a hidden file, inaccessible? Much less any of the others?

You quoted someone talking about Notification Center. There's no way anyone could have known you were talking about Messages.

Condesending post? I will admit I may have crossed a small line there, but at least I didn't "punch a baby" with my frustration.

Most of your posts are condescending to the people who like to read this site and post on the forum.
  • Reply 53 of 70

Quote:

On a more peer to peer point. (peer to peer doesn't really work in this case because I'm guessing you may be much older than I) Please, get a new Mac with Lion installed Natively. Meaning Snow Leopard was not on it beforehand. Then let me know if I missed something.

The Native "Lion" approach is more toward "Launch Pad". That's where all of your apps are, and there is a folder there (iOS folder) for utilities.

Still don't believe me, go to an Apple store. There must be some there with Lion installed Natively.

I think if your home folder is missing then it may be a serious issue with your hard drive. (I have had folders disappear with a previous hard drive — prior to ML — and had to restore them from a back up. I don't think what you are seeing is normal behaviour.

• Reply 54 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I think if your home folder is missing then it may be a serious issue with your hard drive. (I have had folders disappear with a previous hard drive — prior to ML — and had to restore them from a back up. I don't think what you are seeing is normal behaviour.

No.  It's not missing.  It's just not visible at start up.  

Text misses the natural conversation overtones that's supposed to reside in a normal conversation.

It is there.  But you actually have to search for it, and then set it up to be seen each time.  If this is really so hard to believe I'll do screen shots.  One for each interval with notes.

I have had issues with Macs before.  Many, many issues.  Hard drives 'Un-mounting' when my brother plays Diablo 3 (I think that's right), iTunes librarys corrupting for no apparent reason (only after iTunes Match).  Literally playing your music the whole day for a party, then it just stops after 7 or 9 hours.  You check your computer and iTunes corrupted and Apple wants a message.

I'm not as un-intellegent or illiterate as the moderators think.  When the rest of my class graduated high school I graduated college.

Yes, I'm young.  But I'm not stupid.  (hopefully this isn't leading into a condescending post...)

O.K.  Maybe I received a weird mac.  However you would have to times that by two.  My retina macbook, and my uncles, showed up with the same thing... No "user" 'folder' so to speak.  No "Application" folder and no "Documents" folder.  However, they are all there under "Launch Pad".  You have to set it up specifically to have the same look as you would with Snow Leopard.

Again, I could be missing something.  Where they sold 20million Mac's, statistics states there will be problems.

Also on my current iMac, which was Snow Leopard born (Lion upgraded, and now Mountain Lion to my display horror), everything is there.  I must be missing something.

Thank you for your thoughtful post!

• Reply 55 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Wha?  You no like zombies???  image

(I think Undead Jobs would STILL run rings around Redmond's regents...)

Not contributing anything to the discussion, but that reminds me of Shaun of the Dead, when Bill Nighy become a zombie in the car and Shaun tells his mom that there is nothing of her husband left in the zombie - zombie bill turns off the stereo that is blaring rock!

• Reply 56 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Not contributing anything to the discussion, but that reminds me of Shaun of the Dead, when Bill Nighy become a zombie in the car and Shaun tells his mom that there is nothing of her husband left in the zombie - zombie bill turns off the stereo that is blaring rock!

Awesome movie!  So many cool quotes from that one.

• Reply 57 of 70

Quote:

No.  It's not missing.  It's just not visible at start up.  

Text misses the natural conversation overtones that's supposed to reside in a normal conversation.

It is there.  But you actually have to search for it, and then set it up to be seen each time.  If this is really so hard to believe I'll do screen shots.  One for each interval with notes.

I have had issues with Macs before.  Many, many issues.  Hard drives 'Un-mounting' when my brother plays Diablo 3 (I think that's right), iTunes librarys corrupting for no apparent reason (only after iTunes Match).  Literally playing your music the whole day for a party, then it just stops after 7 or 9 hours.  You check your computer and iTunes corrupted and Apple wants a message.

I'm not as un-intellegent or illiterate as the moderators think.  When the rest of my class graduated high school I graduated college.

Yes, I'm young.  But I'm not stupid.  (hopefully this isn't leading into a condescending post...)

O.K.  Maybe I received a weird mac.  However you would have to times that by two.  My retina macbook, and my uncles, showed up with the same thing... No "user" 'folder' so to speak.  No "Application" folder and no "Documents" folder.  However, they are all there under "Launch Pad".  You have to set it up specifically to have the same look as you would with Snow Leopard.

Again, I could be missing something.  Where they sold 20million Mac's, statistics states there will be problems.

Also on my current iMac, which was Snow Leopard born (Lion upgraded, and now Mountain Lion to my display horror), everything is there.  I must be missing something.

Thank you for your thoughtful post!

OK I wasn't assuming that you didn't know what you were talking about. But could you just document the steps you took to make these folders visible again? Where are the checkboxes that need to be checked?

• Reply 58 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

OK I wasn't assuming that you didn't know what you were talking about. But could you just document the steps you took to make these folders visible again? Where are the checkboxes that need to be checked?

Yes, thank you.  However at this point it will have to wait until morning.  I'll save this spot.

• Reply 59 of 70

Quote:

Yes, thank you.  However at this point it will have to wait until morning.  I'll save this spot.

OK so I will note that I just did a search of the system preferences and I could find nothing — so if this had happened to me I would have been screeeeeeewed!

• Reply 60 of 70
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member

Quote:

I actually have a problem with the basic functionality that was supposed to be resolved during beta testing. However, because fans test the software (not developers) and all the release notes vs. specific attention go unnoticed. Those problems do not get weeded out.

They are a bunch of problems that get reported and are not solved before the final release is unleashed. The marketing guys have their priorities, developers have others. The one I’m thinking of concerns Mail and it is still opened. Under certain conditions Mail will hang forever, you have to manually send a SIGTERM signal to blow it away.

Now, external developers are primarily concerned with testing or improving their own products. The vast majority of them will discover bugs tied to Xcode or parts of the AppKit/CoreFoundation frameworks they use; Others will pass unnoticed. Some users involved in a test program do get pre-release versions and are supposed to report on UI and basic tools.