Apple OS X Lion pulled as Mountain Lion rolls out

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't believe Solipsism thinks it will be called iPhone 6 any longer. Nor do I.

I've never believed the 6th generation iPhone running iOS 6 with an A5 chip with 4th generation cellular tech using the 4th case design would be called an iPhone 6. My stance has been that it will not be called iPhone 5.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    If you already downloaded Lion from the MAS, however, it should also be available in your "Purchased" list, ready for download.

I believe you have to hold down the Option key to DL it again.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    nasserae wrote: »
    If the machine came with Lion from the factory then it will boot into recovery mode over the internet and will download Lion even if the HDD is formatted, new, or has no OS installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard and got a new HDD then you can use your Snow Leopard DVD to restore. After you restore to the latest 10.6.8 you can open the Mac App Store, go to purchased, and download Lion again. It is there.

Or you can just use the simple free tool to install Recovery HD on USB flash drive and then bypass the SL installation altogether and just go for the Lion install.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If the machine came with Lion from the factory then it will boot into recovery mode over the internet and will download Lion even if the HDD is formatted, new, or has no OS installed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard and got a new HDD then you can use your Snow Leopard DVD to restore. After you restore to the latest 10.6.8 you can open the Mac App Store, go to purchased, and download Lion again. It is there.

Sorry they say Lion is not available any more from the app store.  So that rules out the 10.6.8 upgrade thing.

• Reply 45 of 86
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For respect's sake, are you on antipsychotics? I don't want to make fun of you if you have some inherent condition that makes you post absolute nonsense like this:

Particularly since he said absolutely nothing about the name of the next iPhone. I don't believe Solipsism thinks it will be called iPhone 6 any longer. Nor do I.

He did last year.  I was merely reminding him.

• Reply 46 of 86
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    He did last year.  I was merely reminding him.

I did? I said that the next iPhone would be called iPhone 6 and only iPhone 6? Care to back you claim? You have to go well beyond poor reading comprehension to being insane to read "it will not likely be called iPhone 5" or "iPhone 6 makes more sense than IPhone 5" as "it will be called iPhone 6." You on the other hand have said outright that it will be called iPhone 5 and gave your equally instance answer that the number 4 followed by the letter S comes right before the number 5.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Buh-bye, Lion. Otherwise known as OS X Vista.

You worthless, buggy, laggy, piece of garbage OS, you.

• Reply 48 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Buh-bye, Lion. Otherwise known as OS X Vista.

You worthless, buggy, laggy, piece of garbage OS, you.

• Reply 49 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Sorry they say Lion is not available any more from the app store.  So that rules out the 10.6.8 upgrade thing.

It is not available for purchase but if you already bought it then it will show in your purchased section of the Mac App Store. You can download it again if you are not on Mountain Lion.

http://i.imgur.com/PPtz8.png

Anymore imaginary problems you have?

• Reply 50 of 86
    nasserae wrote: »
    It is not available for purchase but if you already bought it then it will show in your purchased section of the Mac App Store. You can download it again.

http://i.imgur.com/PPtz8.png

Anymore imaginary problems you have?

Don't miss his scenario where he suggests...

1. A buyer used Mac with SL on it.
    2. That Mac will be upgradable to Lion.
    3. That Mac will not be upgradable to ML.
    4. That buyer will not consider wanting Lion before the purchase.
    5. That buyer will have not have paid $29 for Lion previously.
    6. That buyer will be so determined after the fact to get Lion installed on his Mac.
    7. That buyer will not consider any other means to getting Lion except for the MAS.
    8. And this will be a widespread and rampant issue that will effect a huge number of users.
  • Reply 51 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't get what the big deal is. Lion is EOL and you think there will be a huge rush of people going forward that will say, "Gosh darnit! And I was just about to buy Lion from the Mac App Store." The bottom line is that Mac users don't update their systems the way Windows users do. They never have but the disparity become even greater as Mac OS X dropped considerably in price and then became an online download that you could with a click of the button.

That said, I expect Apple has plenty of the USB flash drive versions and will, in time, put them on their refurbished store for whatever oddball and niche reason someone might want to have Lion at the ass end of 2012 or 2013.

PS: What you need to ask yourself is why you think Apple should so much about so few users after this long since Lion's release.

Should what so much? Care? Think? Well, whatever you had in mind, I don't. It would take no effort on Apple's part to keep Lion in some corner of the App Store. It's not like they won't push any more patches for it, so it saves them nothing to have removed it. All I think they should have done is nothing. Just leave it there. How much effort is that?

• Reply 52 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    To be clear, you're claiming that if a Mac that is running Lion but can't run ML gets a new HDD or has a drive wiped that it's impossible for the user to get Lion installed even though they've legally paid for it? Is that right?

if so, then I'd like you to try something and you don't have to delete your Lion OS to do it. Download the 1MB Recovery HD installer and put in on a USB flash drive. Now boot into that drive, connect to your WiFI or ethernet. What I expect you'll see is an option to reinstall Lion, not a message asking you to use your CC to pay $20 so you can get ML or saying that you need to buy a new Mac.

I'm not sure if you're being serious with your comments here but you are very off base to connect no longer being sold on the MAS as meaning that it'll no longer be available for those who've already purchased it.
    I feel so sorry for you.  It must be hard thinking the way you do.  No imagination.  

Lack of installers for the man who just bought a legacy mac with snow leopard and wants to upgrade to Mountain lion but finds out his used machine is no longer compatible and there for he realizes that Lion is the only os he can upgrade too.  But wait the fucking OS isn't available through the app store where he has purchased all his great Apple Software.  SO he can't purchase Lion through the App store for his great used non Mountain Lion Mac.  How sad.  But wait we have a guy here in this forum that gets the idea all the complainers are making a mole hill into a mountain.  Sad sad man.  He must have bookoo bucks to just buy a new mac and have mountain lion to enjoy unlike the rest of us who love our current macs and cant afford to plunk down 2gs for a new Mac F@cking Pro just to run 10.8.

And it will be called the iPhone 5.  OK.  Not iPhone 6.  We don't go from iPhone 4 to 4s then 6.  Although it will be considered a version 6 it will not be called the iPhone 6.  No matter how hard you try to explain it.  Read this and you will become a seer of understanding. iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 iPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPhone 5 and so on.  Try not to squeeze the iPhone six reasoning out so hard that you end up looking like the one who thinks highly of himself.

What a fucking stupid comment! That goes for both paragraphs. Heck, all three!
  • Reply 53 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't miss his scenario where he suggests...

1. A buyer used Mac with SL on it.

2. That Mac will be upgradable to Lion.

3. That Mac will not be upgradable to ML.

4. That buyer will not consider wanting Lion before the purchase.

5. That buyer will have not have paid $29 for Lion previously.

6. That buyer will be so determined after the fact to get Lion installed on his Mac.

7. That buyer will not consider any other means to getting Lion except for the MAS.

8. And this will be a widespread and rampant issue that will effect a huge number of users.

Simpler scenario:

1. User has a machine from 2008 or earlier.

2. Machine still works, not about to throw it away.

3. User has a real life, does not upgrade OS for the sake of it.

4. Wants to buy an app, app needs Lion, user says OK, I'll get Lion, my machine supports it.

5. Oops, no Lion, though his perfectly working machine supports it.

6. User concludes Apple is stupid, or is trying to force him to buy a new machine.

I am not saying Apple needs to make a special effort to support older but still viable machines. I am not saying they had to make Mountain Lion work with them. I am simply saying, Lion should still be in the App store. It costs nothing to do that. Heck, they'd even pick up some revenue.

• Reply 54 of 86
    [CENTER]Sods law isn't it? My MacBook Pro (2009) has been a little slow lately due to all the junk on it, so I set about archiving what i need to my NAS to free up some disc space.

Did a fresh Leopard install, erasing the disc completely, followed by the Snow Leopard upgrade and this morning logged into my app store account only to find my Lion purchase has gone.

I can't download my Pages purchase because it needs 10.7 or Numbers for that matter, so here I am writing this whilst downloading Mountain Lion. Luckily for me my hardware will run it and hopefully I will love Mountain Lion as much as I loved Lion. But I can't help thinking I should still be able to download Lion should the need arise, after all, I paid the going rate for it.

The lesson here for me is to back up Mountain Lion to disc. You live and learn.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 55 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Simpler scenario:

4. Wants to buy an app, app needs Lion, user says OK, I'll get Lion, my machine supports it.

6. User concludes Apple is stupid, or is trying to force him to buy a new machine.

I am not saying Apple needs to make a special effort to support older but still viable machines. I am not saying they had to make Mountain Lion work with them. I am simply saying, Lion should still be in the App store. It costs nothing to do that. Heck, they'd even pick up some revenue.

In the past Apple used to remove older Mac OS from retail stores when they release new one. Nothing new here except that it is digital now. The scenario you outlines is rare. If someone didn't upgrade to Lion during the last 12 months I doubt he/she will upgrade now. If an app requires Lion then he can call Apple or check on Amazon or ebay and cough up that $69 for Lion on USB.

• Reply 56 of 86
    Simpler scenario:

1) So this user had an entire year to get Lion at a phenomenally low price of $29 and only now that it's not available they just have to have it? Why exactly do you think that's a common scenario?

2) The user should conclude they are placed to buy an outmoded OS that isn't the MAS. Have we forgotten all the vitriol of just how stupid the MAS was just a year ago and the claims that no one would use it?

3) You people need to consider that Apple could put the USB Thumb Drive in the refurbished section of the online store and that it could come back to the MAS once the newness of Mountain Lion dies down. You also need to consider just how stupid this what-if scenarios are. "What if a guy has a SL Mac and fell into a coma the day before Lion came out and then came out of his coma today but his Mac can't run ML? Now he's screwed by Apple because of a medical condition? What is wrong with Tim Cook? Apple is going down the drain. Tim should have considered this coma guy's need first and foremost." It's really ridiculous!
  • Reply 57 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Sods law isn't it? My MacBook Pro (2009) has been a little slow lately due to all the junk on it, so I set about archiving what i need to my NAS to free up some disc space.

Did a fresh Leopard install, erasing the disc completely, followed by the Snow Leopard upgrade and this morning logged into my app store account only to find my Lion purchase has gone.

I can't download my Pages purchase because it needs 10.7 or Numbers for that matter, so here I am writing this whilst downloading Mountain Lion. Luckily for me my hardware will run it and hopefully I will love Mountain Lion as much as I loved Lion. But I can't help thinking I should still be able to download Lion should the need arise, after all, I paid the going rate for it.

The lesson here for me is to back up Mountain Lion to disc. You live and learn.

You need to hold option when you click "Purchased". It should be there if you already purchased it. Make sure you log in with the same Apple ID you used in the original purchase.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/how-to-re-download-lion-from-the-mac-app-store/

• Reply 58 of 86
    Update to my post.

Under Store > Account, just log in and go to hidden purchases. Lion is there. Click unhide, and Lion now appearing in my purchases and downloading. No drama.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Nasser,

Posted at the same time lol

Cheers mate :-)
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Should what so much? Care? Think? Well, whatever you had in mind, I don't. It would take no effort on Apple's part to keep Lion in some corner of the App Store. It's not like they won't push any more patches for it, so it saves them nothing to have removed it. All I think they should have done is nothing. Just leave it there. How much effort is that?

And they should keep all old HW and SW in their stores because it's more effort to ship it back. Seriously, since when has Apple kept old versions of OS X sitting on the shelves in the past? I can't think of them ever doing it before but because it's now a digital download you want it to be for sale for all time? I have hundreds of iOS and Mac App Store apps and not a single one of them lets me grab previous versions of the app despite it "taking no effort on Apple's part" to just keep ever app revision on their App Stores. If you can't see how your argument is stupid then there is nothing I can say that will make you start thinking critically.