Airplay Mirroring on Mountain Lion while using DVD Player

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

I was able to mirror a DVD on Airplay using VLC with my 2012 MacBook Air. However, the resolution on the TV is very low and pixelated (while it appears fine on my MacBook Air). It doesn't matter what I select for the resolution in Display Preferences.

Are others having this problem? Or is this an issue with my network, Airplay, or computer?

• Reply 22 of 25

Do you suggest vlc or air parrot?    I'm a MacBook Pro owner, but not a saavy "IT" type person. I installed Mountain Lion with the hopes of watching dvds through my apple tv.  sounds like a cheesy reason, but I don't have a dvd player in family room and am using my Macbook on occasion as my player.

what do you suggest?

thanks.

[email protected]

• Reply 23 of 25

The only solution i have found to this problem is to stream from an iphone, Ipod touch, or ipod. Though only itunes and youtube can be used for mirroring.

• Reply 24 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is not a problem. This is a feature. It's called DRM. It's illegal to do a workaround.

When you look at it from the view of what you're actually trying to accomplish, it is ridiculous that it could be conceived to be illegal in any fashion. Really, all you are doing is watching a product you legally have to own, on a device you legally have to own. Then you are redirecting the output option not by chords being plugged every which way, but with Airplay, which is supposed to function with other devices you legally have to own. Really, I believe, it is the hastily written laws that incorporate DRM which are to blame for this issue. I just want to watch a movie, man!

Plus, it's so simple to make a legal copy to your computer (for your own use, of coarse), and pop the MOV or MP4 or however you encode it into a media player and play THAT through airplay. I am not certain wether this would be considered a workaround of the illegal sort, but still the notion remains. 

I'm glad there are companies that don't have to worry about billion dollar lawsuits like VLC that allow for such a task to be accomplished. We're just trying to watch a movie...MAN!

• Reply 25 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by IAmNotSteveJobs View Post

…it is ridiculous that it could be conceived to be illegal in any fashion. Really, all you are doing is watching a product you legally have to own, on a device you legally have to own. Then you are redirecting the output option not by chords being plugged every which way, but with Airplay, which is supposed to function with other devices you legally have to own. Really, I believe, it is the hastily written laws that incorporate DRM which are to blame for this issue.

And yet here we are. I blame the laws, too. 

You can probably mark it down as an act of civil disobedience. If you legally own whatever it is, in whatever way, I personally don't have a problem with you viewing whatever it is however you wish. Nor, I expect, would anyone in government EXCEPT members of the MPAA/RIAA.

"But they're not in gov-" 

They own part of the government, so those involved with that. image