Apple wants to create iPhone-based automated homes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The lack of any television like icon is interesting. Or are Apple using an Apple Tv to play that role to maintain secrecy? Or is the whole Apple Television the biggest red herring in techno history! So many question .... /smile

iTV methinks will be 'Remote V2' with a major update to the AppleTV device/capabilities (able to take in a coax as input from cable/satellite/OTA).

The interesting thing here is that you could consider the NFC chip 'individualizing' that remote capabilities, as opposed to being a 'dumb' remote based on the AppleTV base... now AppleTV can keep profiles on each 'remote' that connects to it, and then I get all my sports, and the Mrs gets all her real-housewives/survivor stuff up front.

I think this (NFC controlled home automation) is the red herring, or at least an effort to gain some high ground from the Patent Trolls that 'hey, I just thought of controlling a home using a portable device... let's patent it'   

• Reply 22 of 58
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member

I don't see this type of automation replacing switches and manual controls but simply adding some automation to it. Turning on a light as you walk in the room should be as simple as hitting the switch on the wall, or the sensor at the switch realizing that you have just entered the room and turning it on for you. Or perhaps you want to have certain lights come on at various times when you are on vacation. I'd much prefer to set up a program from my iphone that does takes care of that for me rather than setting up a bunch of timers on lamps.

Automation definitely needs to works with what we are used to rather than replace simple functions.

• Reply 23 of 58
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

People sometimes think that automation will make their life easier when in fact the opposite is often true. When you walk into a room, the light switch is conveniently right by the door. You, on the other hand, want to get your iPhone out of your pocket launch an app or hold the iPhone up to the switch and let the NFC switch the light. In either case it just adds complexity.

What Apple has done in this patent makes a little more sense in that it controls devices that also have menus and settings

No no, I don't want to have to touch anything when I enter the room.  I just want the light to know that I'm there, and turn on if appropriate.  For example, if I enter the room from 6pm to 10pm, turn on the main light.  If I enter from 10pm to 6am, turn on the smaller light or a dimmed main light.

I'll admit that having a control panel to set this stuff up adds complexity, but the real light switch is still there and I don't have to set anything up if I don't care to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

I don't see this type of automation replacing switches and manual controls but simply adding some automation to it. Turning on a light as you walk in the room should be as simple as hitting the switch on the wall, or the sensor at the switch realizing that you have just entered the room and turning it on for you. Or perhaps you want to have certain lights come on at various times when you are on vacation. I'd much prefer to set up a program from my iphone that does takes care of that for me rather than setting up a bunch of timers on lamps.

Automation definitely needs to works with what we are used to rather than replace simple functions.

This guy gets it.  :)

• Reply 24 of 58

Fantastic. Another 'everything under the sun' patent for Apple to hassle other manufacturers with. It will be interesting to see what PTO actually finds unique about this since almost everything in the diagram is already done. Another fine example of how the patent system is broken.

• Reply 25 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by smithers View Post

Fantastic. Another 'everything under the sun' patent for Apple to hassle other manufacturers with. It will be interesting to see what PTO actually finds unique about this since almost everything in the diagram is already done. Another fine example of how the patent system is broken.

Do you all have some website where you just copy stuff from to paste on forums?

• Reply 26 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    Nice.  You know how some of the new cars use a keyless entry?  I want that for my home, and for everything I use (where applicable).  Just obvious things, like turning lights on when I enter a room, dimming them at certain times, unlocking my front door as I approach and locking it when I leave, turning the AC on and off from a control panel on my phone, and, yes, remote toilet flushing.

You mean like this?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/25/galaxy-s-iii-holiday-inn-keycard/
  • Reply 27 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope this comes sooner rather than later. Biometrics, too.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

No no, I don't want to have to touch anything when I enter the room.  I just want the light to know that I'm there, and turn on if appropriate.  For example, if I enter the room from 6pm to 10pm, turn on the main light.  If I enter from 10pm to 6am, turn on the smaller light or a dimmed main light.

This guy gets it.  :)

So you and your mate are sitting in a room and you get up to go get a snack from the kitchen. When you walk out, you leave your mate sitting in the dark?

Like I said it adds another layer of complexity. Anything can be programmed to allow for thousands of conditions but you already have a protein, enzyme, neuron based computer for that.

• Reply 29 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmmm, Thank God for Android manufacturers showing that NFC matters. 

Actually, since you (practically speaking) really can't do anything useful on Android with NFC, I hardly think it's accurate to say that Android manufacturers showed that it matters. If we were to go by what you can actually do with it on Android devices, the conclusion would have to be that it doesn't matter, at all.

And (via Daring Fireball): http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/07/25/darpa-funded-researcher-can-take-over-android-and-nokia-phones-by-merely-waving-another-device-near-them/

• Reply 30 of 58
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Actually, since you (practically speaking) really can't do anything useful on Android with NFC, I hardly think it's accurate to say that Android manufacturers showed that it matters. If we were to go by what you can actually do with it on Android devices, the conclusion would have to be that it doesn't matter, at all.

And (via Daring Fireball): http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/07/25/darpa-funded-researcher-can-take-over-android-and-nokia-phones-by-merely-waving-another-device-near-them/

Good thing no one ever sees anyone with an Android device as per claims on AI. Btw the hacker needs to get really close to the person he's trying to hack.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    s4boness4bones Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmmm, Thank God for Android manufacturers showing that NFC matters. 

Wasn't long ago that people were saying NFC is stupid and they are glad the iphone doesn't have it. My my, how times have changed image

That's just idiotic...

Apple will not just "jump" into anything like LTE unless it's widely implemented and all the power consumption issues are sorted out. When the next iphone arrives the LTE infrastructure will be more mature to satisfy a greater percentage of potential customers and the new LTE chips will be more energy efficient. SO in other words. it's time. My "4G" on At&t is plenty fast most of the time for me anyways. 

I remember my friends that had the first LTE phones....They never had it on because it ate battery like crazy and they didnt have LTE service at home but they did in the city...but they still had to pay the extra $10 to have the LTE service even if they didnt get it everywhere. 

it's the same with NFC.. the market wasnt ready for it... Android haphazardly released it just to be the "first". 

• Reply 32 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Good thing no one ever sees anyone with an Android device as per claims on AI. Btw the hacker needs to get really close to the person he's trying to hack.

Like, as close as a pickpocket?

• Reply 33 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1. I fully agree with the remote toilet flush. I prefer to be a few feet away than to hear the sound. A delay mechanism would work as well.

2. Funny the DVR is playing "The Mole".
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hope this comes sooner rather than later. Biometrics, too.

Wasn't biometrics the next thing for Steve? The one thing he was most interested in?
    tokolosh wrote: »
    Or perhaps you want to have certain lights come on at various times when you are on vacation. I'd much prefer to set up a program from my iphone that does takes care of that for me rather than setting up a bunch of timers on lamps.

I'd rather configure my timers from OSX as opposed to iOS, but fully agree with your post nonetheless.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I'll admit that having a control panel to set this stuff up adds complexity, but the real light switch is still there and I don't have to set anything up if I don't care to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So you and your mate are sitting in a room and you get up to go get a snack from the kitchen. When you walk out, you leave your mate sitting in the dark?

Like I said it adds another layer of complexity. Anything can be programmed to allow for thousands of conditions but you already have a protein, enzyme, neuron based computer for that.

Bill Gates had a similar system in his "home" where people wore Star Trek style badges which the automation system detected as they moved from room to room.  Lights, AC, Music followed you around the house.  Since each person would have a badge no one would be left in the dark.  Pretty silly really.  Basically it was just techno-masturbation.  

• Reply 35 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    1. I fully agree with the remote toilet flush. I prefer to be a few feet away than to hear the sound. A delay mechanism would work as well.

Wasn't biometrics the next thing for Steve? The one thing he was most interested in?

1) You don't want David Mitchell in his snooker voice to exclaim "Oh and that's a bed mess!" every time you use the toilet? ????

2) He mentioned something about biometrics before. I'm sure Apple is working on something. Nike et al. have some products on the market but they are very incomplete and rudimentary for recording your biometrics. This is where a company like Apple can really shine although I don't think it'll really be useful until we have can some internal sensors feeding data back to our iPhone via Bluetooth low energy (BLE).
  • Reply 36 of 58
    gennygenny Posts: 1member

Apple will also make a patent for the water:

Look at this, and wipe your a.. with your patent

• Reply 37 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genny View Post

link

How's this not spam?

Edit: HA HA HA! The spammer reported this post as spam! image

• Reply 38 of 58
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Biometrics?

Looking forward to the iChip!

Just sneak it under your skin and forget about it.

:D

• Reply 39 of 58
    jxxmxxmjxxmxxm Posts: 2member
    To turn on if appropriate... you really want Apple driving that bus? The same Apple who thinks it's a good idea to disable monitor #2 every time an app goes full screen on monitor #1 (and vice versa)?

Sorry, I'm just slightly torqued they didn't fix it in ML.. By the way, if anyone is wondering, a 27" Cinema Display has capacity of 40 standard size post-it notes (5 rows of 8). Post-It Note capacity (or PINC for short) is currently the most important technical spec to watch for when shopping for a 2nd monitor for your Mac.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Like, as close as a pickpocket?

Yes but does a pickpocket stick around close to his victim? The hacks aren't instantaneous, once out of the frequency field the connection is lost as is the hack.