Mountain Lion easter egg references debut of original Apple Macintosh

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have no idea what the .download file actually is. I am only suggesting that /tmp is being used because that is the way all other UNIX like OSs do it.

I just think it is a really bad idea because it makes OS X like a toy. Ok I'll say it - Steve would never have let this happen.

Ok, there have been a handful (if not more) of Easter eggs laying around in OSX for years. They all generally allude to the history of Apple or the history of the Macintosh. Why should this be any different? How can we possibly get into the head of the deceased Steve Jobs and say that he would never have let this happen? He supposedly let what I'm sure amounts to dozens of little jokes like this go though over the years. If this one thing makes OS X look like a toy...what about all the other previously mentioned jokes/Easter eggs? 

Also, I may not have any idea what I'm talking about here, but it's my understanding that the .download file is simply a placeholder till the actual file/app is fully downloaded. There is essentially no reason to care what the date is for such a file. You can't really do anything worthwhile with the file so who cares? Also, if someone can access the file in the terminal, it's probably highly likely that they know that the file's date in Finder is a joke and not something to be confused about. The average consumer might not quite get the joke, but they also probably aren't sitting there looking for the .download file in the Finder anyway. They're probably happy enough seeing it in Launchpad as an icon with a progress bar under it which doesn't display a date. If by chance they did see the file in the Finder and saw the date, they might assume something is amiss, but beyond doing a Google search and finding it to be a joke, there isn't much they can do about it.

In other words: This is a non-issue.

• Reply 42 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    Whatever. You are not convincing enough to change my mind about fooling around with file dates. That is like saying it is ok to lie as long as it is just a joke. Possibly no harm done in the long run but it is a bad idea and it make OS X look amateurish or worse micky mouse-ish. 

That's ridiculous. First you argue that Apple shouldn't be messing around with dates. They don't touch the dates in the system, so your fears are unfounded.

They simply display a fake date on a file that can't be used, anyway. Why in the world does it matter what date is on a partially copied file? You can't do anything with it, so who cares?

In the past, IIRC, they simply didn't have a date at all - that's really no better - it doesn't show the actual creation date, either.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You can't really do anything worthwhile with the file so who cares?

jragosta wrote: »
    They simply display a fake date on a file that can't be used, anyway. Why in the world does it matter what date is on a partially copied file? You can't do anything with it, so who cares?

Remember, it's a temporary folder, not a file. You can actually do something with it. You Show All Contents and access the contents within. They will still continue downloading and they use the correct system dates within but you can also open the contents. This is useful if you want to start a video before it's finished. In Terminal it'll just show up as a folder (SUSEv3) so you can drill down to the content like you would in any folder. When it's complete the contents get moved one folder up and that folder is deleted. It's all very slick.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Remember, it's a temporary folder, not a file. You can actually do something with it. You Show All Contents and access the contents within. They will still continue downloading and they use the correct system dates within but you can also open the contents. This is useful if you want to start a video before it's finished. In Terminal it'll just show up as a folder (SUSEv3) so you can drill down to the content like you would in any folder. When it's complete the contents get moved one folder up and that folder is deleted. It's all very slick.

I would simply give your post a Thumbs Up but Huddler won't let me tick on the 'Add to reputation' button. Really AI, was the switch from vBulletin that much cheaper? Sure feels that way!

Really hope he gets the message now, and understands/comprehends it.