Apple Genius ads debut during Olympic opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Nah.  You're just getting old.

Agreed. It seems that unless Apple ads are snarky and trying to put a thumb in someone's eye they are bland and unimaginative. I think these are fine. Not over the top nor do they have a: "my computer is better than your computer" vibe... I think this will resonate with people better than the smug, attitudinal ads that Apple used to run.

• Reply 22 of 322

The ads were funny but really didn't showcase the products. One had the genius helping someone do some tasks. Showing someone not being able to figure out how to operate a program and then having another person need help with a Keynote doesn't really demonstrate simplicity or ease of use. 

The one with the guy on the street was closer to a beneficial ad where it at least mentioned features that come with an Apple computer.

The guy needing to know how to make photo albums was another one where someone was needing help with how to use the program. If he already knew about how simple it was and about the built in features then he wouldn't be asking such questions.

The better way to approach these ads would be showing someone who doesn't already have a Mac the possibilities that are open to Mac users. Showing Windows owners how easy it is to create things on the Mac platform that are difficult to do on a Windows machine would be another method of showing superiority.

It is true that the geniuses are there to answer questions. They should be answering questions about benefits not shown helping people to use their computers that aren't understood. Let the real geniuses do that.

These ads might have seemed interesting and memorable to test audiences. I was part of a group that was surveyed regarding TV shows and advertisements. The main thing they were concerned about was if we remembered the ads, not what we thought about them. The same criteria was used regarding the pilot episodes for TV shows. These ads were probably tested in similar circumstances. Perhaps memorability and brand recognition are more important than the information in the ads.

• Reply 23 of 322

The new apple ad looks like the one who made Best Buy ad. Apple becomes geek squad??

• Reply 24 of 322
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Oh no... I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with a "thumbs down" on the entire series.

The ads, while all well acted (the kid is good)... are trying to "convey" too much and too many of the points that Apple embodies in their products.... but forgetting the most basic principle of all:

KISS -- Keep It Simple Sam (Sucker, Stupid, whatever....). The "message" is "muddy".... clean it up!

PS. Yes, I'm "old"... but.............. to h*** with it... I'll just leave it at that.
  • Reply 25 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    These ads work because it shows that Mac users, note they didn't focus on any other product Apple makes, can get assistance with anything from Apple. This is powerful because it's not a list of specs that will make people jump from a WinPC to a Mac, but knowing someone will able to assist them when they transition from platform to another.

I've been saying every since the details of Win8 were leaked that Apple needs to have a new Mac campaign to pull users from Windows PCs to the Mac. The iPad is doing its part but this should help even more. These are only indirectly Mac ads as the focus is on the assistance but I think the message is clear, and I think it's a good one.

The only change I'd make is mentioning how how the Genius Bar is free. Letting people know that Apple Genius support is part of your Mac people purchase is something I'd push. Why? Because people are afraid of this will happen...

[INDENT][VIDEO]

PS: I see some of you seem to think such people are stupid if don't understand everything about a platform before touching it but you're the ones being stupid.
  • Reply 26 of 322
    These are the first Apple Ads that I don't like.
    I hope they are short lived.
    Go AAPL!
  • Reply 27 of 322

I love Apple but these ads are horrid. Do not like. :(

• Reply 28 of 322
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    These advertisements are terrible. I wish Steve Jobs was still alive. This is what happens when you put that moron Phil Schiller in charge of running ads, without Steve Jobs to keep him in check.
    Yes because I'm sure you'd be able to do a better job than that "moron". Seriously people need to get over themselves.
  • Reply 29 of 322
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I like it..

It's different from all the ads they had in the past. They're selling their people and service this time and not really their product.

Highlights and recognizes another important part of Apple's success, their Apple Store employees.

Says a lot about how Apple treats its customers..there to help you.

I'm sure their retail employees love the ad because for the first time, Apple brags about them.
  • Reply 30 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munas View Post

After watching an ad on the flight, I have an impression that it wants to show that either all Apple users are dumb or apps too difficult to understand.

Do not like this campaign.

Haha, exactly. Terrible commercial.

• Reply 31 of 322
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

I don't quite understand.. What's Apple got to do with 2012 London Olympic?   

Is Apple a corporate sponsor? 

• Reply 32 of 322

Did Apple loose their marketing people?

The take away from these spots is that mac users are idiots who cant figure out how to do the most basic things.  Who is this supposed to attract?

• Reply 33 of 322
    madmanmadman Posts: 1member
    I agree with what someone said up above these are more Creative solutions than Genius solutions.
  • Reply 34 of 322
    While inoffensive, I doubt these ads will have the desired result. Mac's are supposed to be easy to use: remember the "it just works" moniker? So although, as most level headed people realise, people do need help with different aspects of their computing life, these ads will be open fodder for those who will insist that Mac's are anything but intuitive.
  • Reply 35 of 322
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

These ads work because it shows that Mac users, note they didn't focus on any other product Apple makes, can get assistance with anything from Apple. This is powerful because it's not a list of specs that will make people jump from a WinPC to a Mac, but knowing someone will able to assist them when they transition from platform to another.

I've been saying every since the details of Win8 were leaked that Apple needs to have a new Mac campaign to pull users from Windows PCs to the Mac. The iPad is doing its part but this should help even more. These are only indirectly Mac ads as the focus is on the assistance but I think the message is clear, and I think it's a good one.

The only change I'd make is mentioning how how the Genius Bar is free. Letting people know that Apple Genius support is part of your Mac people purchase is something I'd push. Why? Because people are afraid of this will happen...

PS: I see some of you seem to think such people are stupid if don't understand everything about a platform before touching it but you're the ones being stupid.

Thematically they're fine, but the "Labor Day" ad I saw was horribly cast/acted, straining to be clever, but awkward as hell...

• Reply 36 of 322
    davestall wrote: »
    Did Apple loose their marketing people?

The take away from these spots is that mac users are idiots who cant figure out how to do the most basic things.  Who is this supposed to attract?

Pretty much everyone that uses a PC will be attracted by this. It's unbelievable to me is that you assume if one doesn't possess the same knowledge about a Mac that you do that they must be idiot. I don't know Final Cut or Photoshop. I'm sure I could learn if I had the need but I don't. If that need ever arises I am sure I'd have people assisting me in learning, even if that meant googling answering, reading books or taking course.

All these ads show is that Macs aren't an island PC. They show that when you buy a Mac you are pushed out the door with your purchase and forgotten. This is a key factor that makes Macs a better option over WinPCs. This is something other vendors and retailers can't compete with Apple because they don't have the resources for it. You're not an idiot for not knowing everything about computers, you're just like everyone else.
  • Reply 37 of 322
    While inoffensive, I doubt these ads will have the desired result. Mac's are supposed to be easy to use: remember the "it just works" moniker? So although, as most level headed people realise, people do need help with different aspects of their computing life, these ads will be open fodder for those who will insist that Mac's are anything but intuitive.

How do you jump from "It just works" to assuming any user can do anything on a complete new OS with new apps? It does refer to the user, it refers to the Mac. One could argue that the Mac just works so the user can spend more time learning and using productively apps instead of fiddling with settings. There is still a learning curve with a new OS and new apps. Mac OS isn't self aware nor clairvoyant.
  • Reply 38 of 322
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    It is as if the Apple ads have been Samsunged. :)

Seriously, I think the ads are fine. They are still better than the best effort of competitors. Also, the story and comedy in the ads will make people stay and watch to see what will happen next. They are also trying to appeal to the youth market. Finally, one of Apple's greatest differentiators is their unmatched service after the sale. No one else dares advertise service. Apple is the only company in the tech industry that can, IMO.
  • Reply 39 of 322
    mac voyer wrote: »
    They are also trying to appeal to the youth market.

I saw that the other way. With the Get A Mac and Think Different campaigns they seemed to be appealing to youths. Quite effectively when you look at the Mac penetration at colleges.

With these ads it's "adults" that need assistance. Successful looking people with families that use computers, need computers but want to spend as much time learning fix them as most automobile drivers want to learn about fixing their cars. They want to create something, they know their Mac can do it, but they need some guidance on how to do it.
  • Reply 40 of 322
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I suspect the ads will have exactly the impact Apple wants (and that WE have been arguing for for years): remind people that Apple is more than iPhones and iPads; that one of their core products is a personal computer that isn't a PC.  How's long has it been since we saw an ad that ended with the word "Mac" instead of iSomething?

Apple has a reputation lately (completely undeserved of course) for being a big, bag corporation selling glitzy toys to sheep who are willing to overpay for the privilege of being just like everyone else.  Sorry, but that's one of the side effects of Apple going from a company that sells niche products that the general public doesn't appreciate to being the most ubiquitous brand in consumer electronics.  This series of ads is a nice, friendly reminder that the "it just works" magic of the iPhone/iPad has an analog on the "PC side"--and that a Mac isn't a PC.  You'd be amazed at the number of people who still don't understand that.  That "I got a computer that's just like a Mac" ad is exactly on that point.

Anyway, I doubt Apple uses this forum to evaluate and reassess their ad buys, so I'm confident that Apple will do fine with this campaign.