Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface

Comments

• Reply 101 of 318
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A couple of comments:

On an asymmetric design; this is actually good from the standpoint of human factors. It allows rapid orientation in ones mind when grasping for the device. The differing sized strips are visual clues in this case with respect to orientation.

On those strips; I'm reminded of my iPad 3 which is an LTE model and has the black plastic strip. It is very likely that one of these strips is serving a similar need, that is access to the outside world for an antenna.

On the devices size; I have said for a very long time that Apple needs more models to suit the needs of different users. In this regard a large screen 16:9 screen will attract many users. The only thing I worry about is the current form factor which Apple needs to keep developing into the reasonable future. It would do them significant harm to drop the current form cold, so I see this as an additional model.

On the appearance of the Apple logo; wouldn't it be neat if future Apple cutouts on the backs where in fact finger print readers? This idea that the next iPhone will come with a finger print reader is interesting and maybe to early for the next iPhone, but the question comes up, where do you put the sensor. Knowing Apple they will want to minimize visual polution so why not turn that Apple on the back into a print reader?

On an SD card reader; I know many would rather see such discussions die but let's face it , such a reader does make sense even if Apple restricts its usage to reading images off of SD card from cameras. It makes the iPhone very useful for those that still travel with real cameras and with LTE service or WiFi it makes field back up to a server with an iPhone possible. Yeah I fully understand this seems to be a no no at Apple but a built in reader is like a 100 times more useful than the camera connection kit.

On 16:9; I see it as an extremely useful feature on a phone sized device. It prevents or reduces the need to scroll horizontally which can be very useful in a number of use cases. It does so without making the device excessively bulky. As such I will suggest to the detractors to give it a try! This isn't a tablet and certainly not a laptop, the negatives with respect to that aspect ratio don't apply here. Rather in many cases the aspect ratio is actuall a benefit for a device that belongs in a pocket. Mind you I haven't even mentioned movies yet!

On the Processor; quad core isn't needed but would be welcomed if and only if a substantial single thread performance increase can be had. I actually think this is very doable but would take dual cores with 2X performance improvements over quads with no single core gains. The goal here is to speed up single threaded operations like JavaScript substantially. IE make Safari even snappier.

On flash storage; we need a 2X increase across the board!!!!! Actually this is more significant than a faster processor or many of the items listed above. This is of course more important on iPad but people are using iPhones as iPod replacements on top of running more apps than ever, storage space is an issue.
  • Reply 102 of 318
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have a strong feeling that we will see parallel development of an iPhone this size and of the original sized models. The goal for Apple is to cover a wider array of user needs. The big model will be the LTE machine for a couple of years while the 4S class machine receives other improvements to keep it modern.

I like the idea of a three phone line up. That is an iPhone Maxi, Midi and Mini. The Midi would amount to the current 4S class machines. This would cover just about every users and would more effectively take on or over for iPod slack.

Yeah, that way each Apple store would carry:

Black and white

16, 32 and 64

Large, medium and small. 

Apple does love having 18 models of something, right?  Nah

• Reply 103 of 318
    I on the other hand will likely milk my iPhone 4 for another year if I can! It is all about keeping my Annual Apple budget under control and I'd really like to get a new Mac of some sort in 2013. Thankfully the 4 is running fine but I'm also hoping that iOS 6 doesn't overload it ????????????????????????. I had bad experiences there with my original iPone 3G.

In any event I think you are right a new iPhone with iOS 6 will sell like hotcakes. This is especially the case if the internals get the right tweaks.
    starburst wrote: »
    I like it. I intend to replace my iPhone 4 with the new iPhone.  Even though the 4S has been the best selling iPhone,
    I imagine there are a whole bunch of people that skipped the 4S waiting on this new iPhone.
    When combined with IOS6 i bet this new hardware will sell like hotcakes.  Hold on to your apple stock.
  • Reply 104 of 318
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The patent is for an inductive charging dock/station and not on the actual technology. There's plenty of inductive chargers on the market now.

Btw I for one like the design and will be getting my girl the new iPhone regardless of what it looks like.

Some of the patents do extend to elements of the actual technology and not just for the docking part of it. Looking back Apple has been patenting inductive charging for portable devices all the way back in 2005 so it seems to me they're serious about releasing the it as a feature.

• Reply 105 of 318
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This 'alleged' new iPhone simply looks like a slightly elongated version of the now 2-year-old iPhone 4/4S with a few tweaks here and there - Which is hardly anyhting remotely ground-breaking/innovative and it's beginning to appear that there's a certain degree of complacency in the Apple design deparment lately.

Time for Apple to start to 'Think Different' again.

Anyway... It'll likely sell well enough (merely because it's an Apple product), but it's becoming pretty obvious that the once creative arm of Apple is (seemingly) coming up very short on interesting ideas as of late (to include iOS 6), while competitors are truly advancing the state of mobile device technology/design.

Come on Cook, Ivy and Company... Surely there are still a few great (design) ideas left in you.

Although I would be disappointed if the final model looked like this I would not be surprised. Apple's design team seems to be stuck in a time warp or something. They basically haven't changed the design for any of their products for the past few years. Their idea of a new design seems to be to take the existing design and just make it a bit thinner. All the changes have been to things like the screen or the internal components. Maybe Jony Ive thinks they have the perfect design and don't need to change it, or maybe they don't want to change things while sales are going well. I don't know but it sure is boring if like me you like a fresh new design every few years when I upgrade so I actually feel like I have a new product rather than a simply updated product. 

• Reply 106 of 318
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Black and white

16, 32 and 64

Large, medium and small. 

The smaller models will probably only have 1 storage config and even the high end model only needs 32 and 64. But Apple does already sell 18 models of iPad so it's not out of the realm of possibility considering the sheer volume of iPhones sold.

• Reply 107 of 318
    I could say look at the current iPad line up but I won't.

In any event I would highly doubt the small model would come in anything but one storage class. Even the midi model might be restricted to two storage sizes. In a way you do have a point as Apple carries more SKUs than they really need even today. That would be six SKUs I believe which is actually surprising for Apple.

It would make far more sense even today to have iPhone 4 available in 32 and 128 GB models as 32 GB is where the bulk of sales go and the people buying the large capacity devices can generally use all the storage Apple can offer up.

As to the 18 models it isn't really one model it is three with the intent to pick up some of the iPod sales. Come to think of it how many SKUs of laptops do thy stock these days. It is pretty close to 18.
    cameronj wrote: »

Black and white
    16, 32 and 64
    Large, medium and small. 

• Reply 108 of 318
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

See, I don' t want a new design for the sake of a new design — that's how the Android crowd and children make choices — I want the best possible design. If that means they keep the same basic design for several years then so be it, but radically changing everything every year doesn't do the consumer any favors and you end up with the problem Nokia faced with their radical designs that just threw everything at the way to see what stuck.

But if Apple makes no external design changes, how will the other design teams know when to make their changes; and in which direction?

Cheers

• Reply 109 of 318

The orientation of the minus sign on the volume button changes in the photos.

• Reply 110 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Agreed, iSheep buy anything with Apple's name on it and Apple knows it. If this phone proves true, it proves Apple knows its customers. Why innovate, they buy anything.

That is a valid point. If you've got a Mac it's just so much easier to keep buying the iPhone (whatever it looks like) to stay within the Apple ecosystem for things like email synced across all your devices, iCloud, access to iTunes Apps, etc. I'm sure you could do all this with an Android phone but it's bound to be more difficult. So I guess in that sense maybe they don't have to innovate - just keep shoveling the same stuff to a willing audience. Doesn't stop me looking rather enviously at some of the great new designs the other smartphone manufacturers are coming up with though. Sigh. 

• Reply 111 of 318
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Doesn't stop me looking rather enviously at some of the great new designs the other smartphone manufacturers are coming up with though. Sigh. 

Yes, you certainly are forced, at gunpoint, and on threat of the horrible mutilation and subsequent murder of your family, to keep buying the iPhone. 

Also to keep whining about it.

• Reply 112 of 318
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicvega1972 View Post

The orientation of the minus sign on the volume button changes in the photos.

Since the bottom image is the only one out of all of them that shows the incorrect orientation for the volume down button, I'm going to assume that they just assembled this one "funny" for the shoot.  Everything else indicates the volume buttons are unchanged.  

Those "white" parts sure look nice.  It almost looks like they are made out of silver instead of steel.  

It's too bad the mockup isn't of a white one, I think they are going to look much better than the black ones this time around.  

• Reply 113 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Though you are about to get attacked by fanbois, you speak true. Many great companies grow complacent. Steve was never satisfied and that died with him.

To be fair we are talking about someone who wore the same clothes every day. Hardly strikes me as someone who embraces change. I think that is the problem. Steve obviously embedded into the collective DNA of his team the ethos that change is a bad thing only to be undertaken on rare occasions. It's probably a Buddhist thing - keep it simple and uniform otherwise it's bad karma or something like that.

• Reply 114 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Since the bottom image is the only one out of all of them that shows the incorrect orientation for the volume down button, I'm going to assume that they just assembled this one "funny" for the shoot.  Everything else indicates the volume buttons are unchanged.  

The first photo was to illustrate that the button parts are one continuous piece. That would not allow for a different orientation on assembly.

• Reply 115 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, you certainly are forced, at gunpoint, and on threat of the horrible mutilation and subsequent murder of your family, to keep buying the iPhone. 

Also to keep whining about it.

Says the person who has posted 13650 posts in less than 2 years - whining about everything and everyone expressing their right to free speech.

PS iPhone 5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5 - that'll piss him off LOL.

PPS Your ban on the terms "fanbois" and "iSheep" doesn't seem to be going down to well. Seems like other people value their free speech to.

• Reply 116 of 318
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cameronj wrote: »

Black and white
    16, 32 and 64
    Large, medium and small. 

At least double that - AT&T and Verizon versions.
  • Reply 117 of 318
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this where we say, "Not as sick as you'd have to be to say something like that?"

Nonsense, this is when most with any sense of talent would agree with my assumption - but I understand that is to much to ask from the iOS community in general, who now think they need to defend any crap that comes out of Apple. From those idiotic Olympics commercials to this rehash - he is already beeng missed.

• Reply 118 of 318
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Nonsense, this is when most with any sense of talent would agree with my assumption…

So the people Jobs hired, hand-picked, and trained over decades to understand his vision and shape their own… have no talent. Are you even listening to yourself? What reason do you have to even be here? 

• Reply 119 of 318
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    agramonte wrote: »
    Nonsense, this is when most with any sense of talent would agree with my assumption - but I understand that is to much to ask from the iOS community in general, who now think they need to defend any crap that comes out of Apple. From those idiotic Olympics commercials to this rehash - he is already beeng missed.

He is missed - but that doesn't justify your wholesale efforts to denigrate the entire team that he left in place.

Frankly, given the choice between the judgment of Apple's management team and a few anonymous whiners on AI, I'll go with Apple any time.
  • Reply 120 of 318
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

To be fair we are talking about someone who wore the same clothes every day. Hardly strikes me as someone who embraces change. I think that is the problem. Steve obviously embedded into the collective DNA of his team the ethos that change is a bad thing only to be undertaken on rare occasions. It's probably a Buddhist thing - keep it simple and uniform otherwise it's bad karma or something like that.

You're talking about the company (and the man) who forsook the floppy, the CD, the hard drive before most other companies? The company that introduced Retina Display on laptops without an apparent demand?  That's the company that believes change is a bad thing?