Rumor: Apple readying 'at least two' new iPhone cases

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member

Instead of a stand, I think it more likely that the new phone will have an inductive-charging facility.

This would justify the (much) smaller multi connector.

• Reply 22 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

…an inductive-charging facility.

Why? What purpose does that serve? This is just like the "2010 iPad will have solar panels on the back!" rumor.

This would justify the (much) smaller multi connector.

How? Are you assuming ALL power would be over induction? So charging time increases by hours and you can't use a case with the phone? 

If you have to set it down in a specific place to charge "wirelessly", you're doing it wrong, and that's not wireless. Induction is a gimmick. I'd rather put my phone in a dock, connected to quick power and quick data via a simple cable, than set it level on my desk (more desk space taken up) and connect to slow power and slow data, wasting another power socket, for the "convenience" of being able to "just pick it up", which is exactly what I do with the phone in the dock, except it's actually HARDER to pick up flat on a surface.

Ooh, unrelated because I don't want to ever actually see it happen, but the perfect place for an induction pad is the foot of the iMac and the foot of the Thunderbolt Display

• Reply 23 of 29

If I had to guess what the new case was, perhaps a case and car mount system where the iPhone is put into the case and then phone + case can be attached to the windshield. The reason for this is iOS 6's new Maps app with navigation. It's been a pain with other phones because if you had a first party car mount you'd have to take it out of the case or get one of the universal ones which don't really hold the phone securely or elegantly. If the new case had special mounting points then that could make a new market for accessories, like tripods or other stands. Something like that would "affect third-party case makers" like the article says.

Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 24 of 29
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

The iPad is a full fledged compter????

I will compile my next C# project on it then ;-)

Because, of course, the ONLY definition of computer is one that exactly fits your specific use of it?

Sorry, but if the only definition of a computer is that you must be able to write code on it, then 99% of users aren't using computers.

Oh, and btw, you can write code on an iPad using Textastic or Diet Coda.

• Reply 25 of 29
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This would make no sense in that they are different devices intended for different uses with different form factors.  

The touch and the iPhone are mobile communication devices with attached media players and gaming.  

The iPad is a full fledged computer.

Wait.. WHAT?

Are you serious with what you just said or am I missing the sarcasm?

The iPad and iPod touch do EXACTLY the EXACT same EXACT things.

The iPhone differs from them in that it can make phone calls.

If anything the iPhone and iPad are closer relatives than the iPod touch only due to the fact that the iPad has cellular technology available as an option.

But if you take a WiFi only iPad and place it next to an iPod touch, the are the EXACT same thing except for screen size and case shape.

So tell me again why wouldn't you rebrand the iPod touch in the iPad related family?

• Reply 26 of 29
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Glad to see that the rumor mill has expanded its reach to cover cases...
    mstone wrote: »
    Our 2007 home iMac is starting to go south. The video component is leaving all kinds of artifacts and blinking lines when you scroll in the browser.
    Heat related? Try to remove all the dust that may be obstructing the cooling :)
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Glad to see that the rumor mill has expanded its reach to cover cases...

Been doing so for years.

• Reply 28 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Wait.. WHAT?

Are you serious with what you just said or am I missing the sarcasm?

The iPad and iPod touch do EXACTLY the EXACT same EXACT things.

The iPhone differs from them in that it can make phone calls.

If anything the iPhone and iPad are closer relatives than the iPod touch only due to the fact that the iPad has cellular technology available as an option.

But if you take a WiFi only iPad and place it next to an iPod touch, the are the EXACT same thing except for screen size and case shape.

So tell me again why wouldn't you rebrand the iPod touch in the iPad related family?

Oh.  So the iPad is "just a big iPod Touch"? 

No way.  They are totally and completely different.  There is nothing even similar.

The iPad is NOT just a big iPod Touch.

Now do you understand the reason why?

/s

• Reply 29 of 29
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Been doing so for years.
    Well then because it used to give hints on the new iPhone shape, there not much.