Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

• Reply 42 of 53

Can I order the new iPhone online if I am buying it as an existing AT&T customer signing up for a new two-year contract?

If the new iPhone is announced on Sept. 12, around when can I expect to receive it if I order it online? Would I be better off going to a store on the second day when there aren't insane lines?

Thanks!

• Reply 43 of 53
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

yep, still hate the 2-tone or whatever the back panel is.  Every time i see these images just re-affirms how much i think it sucks.  Let's hope this is just a design option mock-up.

Addition:

Just as an observation.  Seems like if they're going to make a new design update, they would have designed something that was a bit more radically different than the previous design.

Of course the 3G and 3GS were not much of a change from the original iPhone but it sure seemed radically different.  This current rumored design seems just too similar to the iP4 and 4S.  Really the only major differences are the back panel and the dock connector.  The overall shape is identical, maybe a hair thinner.  Let's hope it's at least lighter or closer to the weight of the 3G(S) models.  The current iPhone is a brick.

I guess it makes not difference to me.  I normally don't update until the hardware is no longer supported by the firmware.  So that will probably be another 2 years for me.

• Reply 44 of 53

I think that Apple has pretty much written off the iPod Touch.  Before the people buying iPod touches were ones who didn't want an iPhone because it wasn't available on their carrier, or because they couldn't justify spending the extra money on an iPhone for their kids because of the mandatory data plans etc, or their kids didn't need a phone etc.

Now they have the iPad which is becoming much more popular for younger kids because it is bigger and easier to hold on to, doesn't requirea data plan, etc.  They also are keeping around the older model iPhones as a low cost alternative for people who can't afford the $200+ cost of buying the new model.  The iPhone is available on most carriers now so that is no longer a reason not to get one.  And with the new family share plans that the big carriers are forcing on people there isn't that much of a cost difference between having service on a smart phone or dumb phone anymore.

So really there isn't that much of a draw to an iPod Touch anymore.  I can see them dropping it and having the Shuffle, Nano, iPhone and 2 sizes of iPad.

• Reply 45 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

iPod touch sales have steadily declined and although a 4" touch with a faster CPU may revive sales to a degree, they really don'y impact iPhone buyers.

Most likely because a new one hasn't been released in over a year!

• Reply 46 of 53

I just hope all of these "leaks" are BS.. and when Sept 12th or whenever comes, Apple shows up with something totally different than anything we've seen online. 

I've got to agree that this design sucks.  I'll keep my iphone 4 if this is the best they are going to do.  I don't need a bigger screen, or a faster processor.  I don't game on my phone, I don't run crazy programs.  I read the news on my CNN app or MacNews, use it for my work and personal emails, send some text messages.. and maybe check facebook.  I surely don't need some super quad core processor for that.. and my 3.5 inch screen does just fine. 

This design just doesn't have the "wow" factor of previous designs. I really liked the last set of rumors from a year ago.. that beautiful teardrop look.  With a wider body to allow for a bigger screen.  I'm never going to leave apple.. it's the only computer company we've used in our home for 15 years.. but I need to admit that the Galaxy 3 is a slick looking phone.  Although playing around with one of my co-workers.. the software sucks.

• Reply 47 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

I've got to agree that this design sucks.  I'll keep my iphone 4 if this is the best they are going to do.

But it's the same design, so by your own admission, you hate your iPhone 4.

I don't need a bigger screen, or a faster processor.  I don't game on my phone, I don't run crazy programs.  I read the news on my CNN app or MacNews, use it for my work and personal emails, send some text messages.. and maybe check facebook.  I surely don't need some super quad core processor for that.. and my 3.5 inch screen does just fine. 

Props for being intelligent and reasonable!

I really liked the last set of rumors from a year ago.. that beautiful teardrop look.

That's just so horrible, though! It's nigh unusable when held in both orientations… It's teardrop-shaped to represent the tears Jonathan Ive sheds every time he looks at it.

• Reply 48 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's just so horrible, though! It's nigh unusable when held in both orientations… It's teardrop-shaped to represent the tears Jonathan Ive sheds every time he looks at it.

The problem is that those that make these PS mockups don't consider the engineering and usability aspects. I've yet to see a mass produced phone that has a bezel that thin. Remember when people said the iPad was a joke because the bezel was so huge just to find that competitors had an even thicker bezel? And while it might be OK in portrait mode landscape mode is definitely an issue.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I've wondered the same thing. Something else I've been thinking about with these iPad mini rumors is if Apple might consider renaming the iPod touch to be 'iPad nano' to realign it with the iPad theme since its grown far beyond the iPod of yesterday. My 2 cents????
  • Reply 50 of 53

I hope its unveiled on that week or day or maybe sooner if possible, I hope it has that cool metal design with all the rumored futures like lte etc, only thing I hate is the nano sim means cant just pop in micro sim, hope the unlocked model comes out at the same time this time and prices remain the same hope it has the ilab etc design not some to slim tear drop design crap, also hope they dont make it hard to repair like the new slimmer mac, and that they dont call it the new iphone just call it the iphone 5 the word new will not get u more buyers they like iphone 5 better 

• Reply 51 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bcbcbroderick View Post

…hope they don't make it hard to repair like the new slimmer mac…

It's a phone…

…and that they don't call it the new iPhone just call it the iPhone 5 the word new will not get u more buyers they like iPhone 5 better 

No, they won't call it "iPhone 5", no, they won't get more buyers if they use the world's most idiotic name, no, they don't like "iPhone 5" better.

• Reply 52 of 53
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    I don't think iTouch is in danger. It's with no doubts best audio-video player on a market. Imo Nano was kind off bastard child until merger with shuffle. iTouch will hold position of PDA and iPad-mini - budget alternative to iPad. There are many customers who use prepaid/simple phones to save on expensive plans with data who will choose iTouch due to WiFi capabilities. It will be perfect lineup if iPod mini will have size of Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 53 of 53

I think its great revolution in advance technology lot of people will love to use it because of popular brand.