Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Seriously?  People are b!tching about $8 a month when they have fewer commercials than they have OTA.  Instead of having 4 or 5 commercials per break you get 1 or two and, OMG, it's $8 a month!?!? I mean, who in the world would pay for that?!?!?!  Umm... How much do you pay for your cable?  30 - 40 if not more. ...

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

• Reply 42 of 75
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Great addition to Apple TV for all of the cord-cutters out there!

• Reply 43 of 75

So in addition to the much-asked-for API for third-party apps, two BIG things jump out that I think would be in perfect harmony with Apple's intent:

1 - Allow DVD or CD playback from linked itunes account on a mac: example, I place a DVD or CD in a mac, and can play it via AppleTV. Please give me a break on the "just stream the movie from iTunes et al" argument.

2 - Allow PURCHASE of music from AppleTV. Just don't get why I can browse TV and movies and purchase/rent, but not do the same for music?

• Reply 44 of 75
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

BBC iPlayer is on practically every smart device around. Even my Samsung TV has iPlayer built-in. It would be very surprising indeed if the BBC hasn't approached Apple already.

iPlayer is available in the App store.  If you can get mirroring to work you can mirror from your iphone or ipad to the ATV.  In any case, yes it should be added to the ATV.

• Reply 45 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    What's the quality? Does it approach HD?
    Relative term
    HD like Netflix HD (artifact ridden 720), like cable hd (720), iTunes 1080 (decent artifacts) or Blu ray HD?

I'd say between Netflix and cable. :-)
  • Reply 46 of 75

OMG.  I may finally have to update my ATV2 software.  (I've been resisting; I hate the new tile interface (yes, I've even played with it in person at Apple stores).)

• Reply 47 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil View Post

And, no, you can't watch standard (free) Hulu content on it. Just like always. And just like on every other device. That's not Apple's fault, and it's not Hulu's fault. That's the content rights owners that are preventing the content from being streamed to a mobile or set-top box. No, I don't like it. But, I don't blame Chevrolet is there's not a road going where I want to go.

I think a lot of people just can't understand how the content providers can be so stupid.  So I can't watch free Hulu on my ATV... but I can hook my HDMI cable into my PC laptop, and use my TV to watch free Hulu. 

It really is like the blacksmiths and whip makers ganging up to resist those new-fangled horseless carriages.  Good luck with that (but in the meantime we all have to suffer from their ignorance).

• Reply 48 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    s4mb4 wrote: »
    now we just need the SlingBox app and the ATV would be perfect!

At first I thought "huh? Isn't your cable box right there?" but it makes sense if you travel and take your Apple TV with you and watch whatever you subscribe to during any down time.
  • Reply 49 of 75

@ Sierrajeff "OMG.  I may finally have to update my ATV2 software.  (I've been resisting; I hate the new tile interface (yes, I've even played with it in person at Apple stores)."

After updating one of mine, and playing around with the new interface, I've grown to like it very much. So, I updated my other Apple TV. It'll be even nice when we can arrange them when the OS update comes later this year. 

And yes... the Hulu+ interface and responsiveness is MUCH better than on the Roku! I have a feeling I'll spend more time on Hulu+ than Netflix on my Apple TVs. 

• Reply 50 of 75
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

They give you something no else does and that is iTunes availability at Netflix pricing.  Apple wants you to drop $3 for 1 single episode and Netflex wants you wait until the entire season of DVDs has come out.  If you want watch a current season but don't want to pony up $30+ (or more) PER SHOW Hulu is a no brainer.  Now if you're fine with waiting until it comes out on DVD or you're ok with paying a boat load to Apple for something you'll only watch once then by all means keep doing that but there is a very, very large group of people that want the current season availability and until now they had nothing. Does it have commercials? Of course it does but it's not as many as OTA stuff and that's why it's only $8 a month for all you can watch.  So it's really just a question of this - is no commercials worth $40 a month to you?  I'd say the overwhelming majority of people would say no.  In fact, if I wanted to get all the shows I watch that are on Hulu Plus through Apple I'd probably pay more than that when the shows come back in Sept/October.

It's Netflix + short commercials - the massive wait time.  For most that's a winning combination but if you refuse to watch commercials then feel free to continue to wait a year to see a show or continue to pay Apple an ungodly sum of money.  Of course you could always just airplay your desktop and watch the free stuff on your TV...

• Reply 51 of 75
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

At first I thought "huh? Isn't your cable box right there?" but it makes sense if you travel and take your Apple TV with you and watch whatever you subscribe to during any down time.

Wouldn't you just use your iPhone or iPad for that?  I've recently become aware of the fact that many hotels kill the external HDMI functionality for whatever reason. I've plugged in my iPad via HDMI in more than a few Hilton's to get absolutely nothing. Now other hotels it has worked but I don't think that's a big selling point for an Apple TV - just use your iPhone or iPad for the slingbox and if you want to plug it into a TV then take the cord.

• Reply 52 of 75

That's a big plus, too bad I own so many of the titles on DVD, would have saved me a fortune.

• Reply 53 of 75

Funny how people complain about commercials when they are paying for a service. I pay a lot of money for my Comcast cable, and the funny thing is that there are still commercials... everywhere.

• Reply 54 of 75
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPatterson View Post

Cool story. I personally launched Hulu on the Apple TV a few days ago with Airplay Mirroring. For free.

What a lot of people don't know and I only found out through their free trial on Xbox, is that half the content available to everyone for free in their browser is unavailable for Hulu PLus on devices due to various licensing restrictions between Hulu and its content providers. Very lame. Hulu Plus just isn't a great deal. Even less great if you have Mountain Lion and can just beam everything to your TV for free. Sure, you have to pay to watch season two of The Office or whatever, but you could do that with Netflix and get a whole bunch of other popular shows that Hulu doesn't even offer (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Louie, the list goes on and on). 

On a side note I would love to see PBS get an app on Apple TV. Their iOS apps are fantastic. I also wouldn't mind paying for access to BBC's iPlayer since I am in the States and usually have to resort to 'other methods' to get the latest Top Gear or Brian Cox helicopter on a mountain astronomy/physics lesson ;)

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Netflix content has been going down the tubes the last few months.  I didn't count, but it looked like they added a whole 1 or 2 new releases last month (I'm probably wrong on that) and some old TV content and older movies.  I haven't seen anything newer come along that looks remotely interesting in a while.

However Breaking Bad is a pretty good show, I've been working thru all the back seasons since last week!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 55 of 75
    basilbasil Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Um, I think you're missing my point. You want to equate Hulu with cable, saying they're just variations of the same model. Okay, I'll play along. You get cable for $8/month?

Sure, with Hulu Plus you don't get everything you get with cable, but for $52/month (my cost difference; yours may vary), I didn't see that the additional content was worth that.

Hulu Plus may be a better deal for many people. That's my point.

• Reply 56 of 75
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

HBO Go next please!

Yes!  Would love it if they added that.

• Reply 57 of 75
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

This is all warm-up for the full-blown TV from Apple. I am holding off on a TV purchase until then!

• Reply 58 of 75
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member

• Reply 59 of 75
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wouldn't you just use your iPhone or iPad for that?  I've recently become aware of the fact that many hotels kill the external HDMI functionality for whatever reason. I've plugged in my iPad via HDMI in more than a few Hilton's to get absolutely nothing. Now other hotels it has worked but I don't think that's a big selling point for an Apple TV - just use your iPhone or iPad for the slingbox and if you want to plug it into a TV then take the cord.

HBO-GO provides access to much of HBO catalog -- or at least to the 1990s (Deadwood, Band of Brothers, The Wire, etc.). It has more selection than what's usually available on demand.

edit: Sorry, replied to the wrong post. Meant to show the value of having HBO-Go on AppleTV at home.

• Reply 60 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    The ATV is comically US centric. For those of us who live in countries not called USA, the ATV is incredibly limited. The lack of the BBC iPlayer, Amazon's LoveFilm, 4OD, and the recently launched Murdoch effort NOW TV make the ATV about as useful as a chocolate teapot for Brits. The only useful app is Netflix, and that's obviously only there because it benefits US customers.

If you want to stream video in the UK, the X360 is infinitely superior, and only very slightly more expensive.