Apple confirms select iCloud users unable to access old emails

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a system status update on the iCloud Support web page, Apple confirmed that some users may be affected by a temporary error where older emails are inaccessible.

The message, posted under "iCloud: Mail & Notes" shortly after noon PST on Tuesday, notes select iCloud users may not be able to access older email messages at this time, though sending and receiving new messages should be unaffected.

Users reporting problems with Apple's cloud service have complained that messages received prior to July 30 become unavailable and disappeared from their devices after syncing with iCloud. It is not yet known whether the messages have been deleted or are merely not being pushed to users' devices.

iCloud email
Source: Apple

Apple has promised the issue would be resolved "ASAP" but gave no indication of what exactly caused the error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Those were "legacy" e-mails. 

Not needed. 

;)

• Reply 2 of 12

Glad I still use POP3.  Everybody else still sold on "the cloud"?

• Reply 3 of 12
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

iCloud = Mobile Me 2

• Reply 4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Those were "legacy" e-mails. 

Not needed. 

;)

lol, well played

• Reply 5 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Hmm, just updated my MacMini to 10.8, wanting to see the new mail app, amongst others. Never configured mail before on that Mac so everything was new. And all mail from .Mac, nee, me.com, nee iCloud got synced. Old mail as well, no problems at my end.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

iCloud = Mobile Me 2

Uh, no. 

• Reply 7 of 12
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

Your comment is crazy (as is the idea of using POP3). 

• Reply 8 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

Yeah, actually most people are sold on the cloud. I've been using cloud based email for the past 10+ years, on multiple providers, and havent lost a single message. But yeah, good luck with the whole POP3 thing, very quaint. For most of us that like to check and send email from multiple devices, and have everything synced, that doesn't quite work out. 

• Reply 9 of 12
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, actually most people are sold on the cloud. I've been using cloud based email for the past 10+ years, on multiple providers, and havent lost a single message. But yeah, good luck with the whole POP3 thing, very quaint. For most of us that like to check and send email from multiple devices, and have everything synced, that doesn't quite work out. 

Cloud computing has started appearing deffinetly less than 10+ years ago.

What is 'cloud based email'? Do you mean you were using external provider with the email client on their server accessable through web? (Online/web mail). That has nothing to do with a cloud.

• Reply 10 of 12

Please. POP3?

If I was still using that then I could accept a week of email outage each year on IMAP. As I would spend about that much time trying to work around the problems POP3 causes.

• Reply 11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

As I would spend about that much time trying to work around the problems POP3 causes.

Besides multi-client sync, what problems would you be trying to work around?

• Reply 12 of 12

I called Tech Support about this problem and they treated me like I was an idiot. harumph.