Briefly: Surprise birthday party thrown for Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fusion-io, the flash-memory technology company at which Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is chief scientist as well as investor, threw the tech guru a surprise birthday party on Wednesday in San Francisco.

Wozniak, referred to affectionately as the "Woz," will actually turn 62 on August 11, but Fusion decided to hold the gala as a surprise at San Francisco?s Museum of Modern Art where secretly-invited guests received pink boas and noise makers, reports All Things D.

Apparently the party was kept secret despite the prevalence of social-media though Wozniak's wife had to delete a "drunk" text or tweet from his phone last night.

Steve Wozniak
Woz's surprise birthday party. | Source: All Things D

In concert with the event, Fusion-io announced its ION Data Accelerator software which boosts server speeds by optimizing flash memory processes. Companies testing the new technology include Apple and Facebook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Not sure the reason for a big celebration at 62 but happy birthday Steve! And thanks for signing your book for me a few years ago!

• Reply 3 of 19
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

What NOT to get him for his birthday...

• Reply 4 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Does it look like he has lost weight?  Maybe it's just a frontal shot that makes him look slimmer.  Oh wait it's the boa.  LOL.

• Reply 5 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2. HOW TO DRUNK TEXT LIKE A WINNER

No thanks...that's not fro yo, bro. It's more like cream of sum yung gei. image

• Reply 6 of 19

Anything that can help input and output speed in flash drives is something very valuable. Right now it really needs to be implemented in thumb drives. Some have just half or less than their advertised speeds.

• Reply 7 of 19

Great Guy, I'll should send him a $2 bill for his birthday. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

I'll say it:  Woz is a tool.  I respect what he did early on at Apple, of course.  But he's "overrated" so to speak.  

• Reply 9 of 19
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member

I smell a marketing tactic to get attention around Fusion IO. Congratulations AppleInsider, you fell for it. :D

• Reply 10 of 19

Love Woz, but I had to stop following him on Twitter. It's nothing but him Foursquareing into Longhorn Steaks, Checking into airports and hotels, and walking his dog.

I expected something more interesting, but he comes off as just another self-indulgent billionaire. I don't want to see him like he's a Koch brother or some other low-life.

• Reply 11 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Love Woz, but I had to stop following him on Twitter. It's nothing but him Foursquareing into Longhorn Steaks, Checking into airports and hotels, and walking his dog.e.

That's what Twitter IS. That's its purpose. That is the sole reason that Twitter exists. 

Do you see now why I hate sociopath networking?

• Reply 12 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I expected something more interesting, but he comes off as just another self-indulgent billionaire.

He is only worth a measly 100 million.

• Reply 13 of 19

I hear he got freaky with Karina Smirnoff when he was on Dancing With the Stars... image

• Reply 14 of 19
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'll say it:  Woz is a tool.  I respect what he did early on at Apple, of course.  But he's "overrated" so to speak.  

So because you think he is a tool an overrated? Looked in the mirror lately -- asked one of your so called friends what king of moniker they would attach to you?

From the American English Dictionary:

tool |tul|nouna device or implement, esp. one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function: gardening tools.• a thing used in an occupation or pursuit: computers are an essential tool | the ability to write clearly is a tool of the trade .• a person used or exploited by another: the beautiful Estella is Miss Havisham's tool.• Computing a piece of software that carries out a particular function, typically creating or modifying another program.distinct design in the tooling of a book.• a small stamp or roller used to make such a design.vulgar slang a man's penis.• informal a dull, slow-witted, or socially inept person.

I don't what Woz did that has you acting like he pissed in you Cheerios. IMHO (shared by numerous others) is that he is a sharp, fun loving guy, who has given back to his community. Was gonna give away the Apple computer till Steve Jobs convinced him they could make a bundled sand then they could press on with a whole laundry list of things they could do with the proceeds.

What, if anything, makes him a tool (your kind words -- not mine)?
  • Reply 15 of 19

I acknowledge that Woz is part of the history of Apple but it was Jobs who made Apple what it is today. Let Woz slip into the past where he belongs.

• Reply 16 of 19
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

I acknowledge that Woz is part of the history of Apple but it was Jobs who made Apple what it is today. Let Woz slip into the past where he belongs.

Would you say that about Paul McCartney?   Bob Dylan?    How about Einstein in his later years when he disagreed with just about everyone working in the field of quantam mechanics and didn't really do anything new?

While I agree that Jobs made Apple what it is today, I don't think that means that we ignore or disrespect Woz.   He deserves our respect for being one of the "elders" - one of the founding fathers of this industry.   I also respect Woz because of his past charitable work and his deep concern about education in this country.    How many multi-millionaires do you know who go back to school?

What really would have been nice if it had been Apple who made the surprise party.     While Woz's tech skills might not be of much use to Apple today and he never really had the business skills, I think he could have been used as a great motivator of people.   And if you look at Woz's attitude towards producing "great" products and also look at the comments made by Ive last week, they're really very consistent with each other.

• Reply 17 of 19
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's what Twitter IS. That's its purpose. That is the sole reason that Twitter exists. 

Do you see now why I hate sociopath networking?

The only time I find Twitter useful is when there's some major event happening to me (power outage, traffic jam, etc) and I want to find out information about it right away.  Waiting for the local news to report about it is too slow.  Though you do have to wade through a lot of junk comments to find the good ones.

But in general, I agree.  Hearing about every little detail of people's daily lives and their random thoughts is pretty banal.

• Reply 18 of 19
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

keep that fat ass away from his birthday cake

the last thing I would ever want to read about him is him dying from a heart attack.

• Reply 19 of 19
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member

Without Woz we wouldn't have Apple!