Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'

1111214161721

Comments

  • Reply 261 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jfanning wrote: »
    ?? The judge is from South Korea, or does he have a picture of South Korea behind him?

    The judge is a woman.
  • Reply 262 of 407
    solipsismx wrote: »
    PPS: Any site that requires Adobe Flash I'm referring to as being Flashist. I suppose that mean I'm evoking Godwin's Rule but perhaps we need to make the world notice which sites only support Flashism.
    Wouldn't that...in effect...make you a Flashist dictator?
  • Reply 263 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wouldn't that...in effect...make you a Flashist dictator?

    Gotta give you an Olympics edition "high five" for that one.

    1000
  • Reply 264 of 407
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Auschwitz, now you've done it!

    Das butt!
  • Reply 265 of 407
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member


    Not to mention, in the shortly becoming a war zone the 4G LTE patents and technology, Apple is very much defenseless there, and it can only hope for FRAND as its cover.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post


    I have a feeling Apple isn't in HDTVs yet because all the people who they are suing right now, have those HDTV patents!


     


     


     



     


     




     


     



  • Reply 266 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mcrs wrote: »
    Not to mention, in the shortly becoming a war zone the 4G LTE patents and technology, Apple is very much defenseless there, and it can only hope for FRAND as its cover.

    1) Apple bought Nortel patents for the 4G LTE.

    2) Your foolish claim ignores Qualcomm, a company that probably holds the most and certainly the best 4G LTE tech patents and makes their money by selling components to vendors who them in their devices. Why exactly will Qualcomm stop selling to Apple especially after their relationship goes back a very long time and Qualcomm has been making specific chip models just for Apple?
  • Reply 267 of 407


    This rectangles argument that Samsung seems to give major insight into why Samsung copied Apple. It's because they felt they had the right to. Because all they were copying were rectangles, you can't patent rectangles. Probably the same reason they made their headphones white. You can't patent that either. But the problem is they kept making all their design choices like that and before long their entire product line up looked like cheap copies of Apple's devices. If it were just the shape of the device or the layout of the icons on the screen, Apple would have a tough case to make, but Samsung copied everything down to the style of the accessories that they sell for the device.

  • Reply 268 of 407
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post





    'wouldn't be surprised if they are actually owned by his neighbor.


     


    Or owned by anybody other than him.


     


    He criticizes Apple so much that I find it hard to believe that he has ever owned a single Apple product.

  • Reply 269 of 407
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member


    You make it way too easy. 


     


    The now bankrupt Nortel's 4G LTE patent portfolio amounts to a measly 150 patents which is now own by Apple-Microsoft-Sony-RIM consortium, representing about a tiny 1.8% of seminal 4G LTE patent portfolio. As I have said in my earlier posts with regard to 4G LTE patents, Android partners own about 30+% of 4G LTE portfolio. Qualcomm has about 700+ or so 4G LTE patents. Meanwhile, the "copycat and "not innovative" Samsung has almost 1200 patents in 4G LTE. Apple will definitely use Qualcomm chips because there is no other way to defend itself when the 4G LTE patent war starts at some point the future. That is Apple approach at this point, "to duck and cover." Unless, of course, Apple suddenly bought Nokia, but even this will not help much of its pickled situation. It sort of explains Apple idiotic moves in both Australian and Europe where they sold Ipad3 with wrong 4G LTE chip there? They will be eaten alive by oversea's 4G LTE patent holders if it makes a "wrong move", which literally means installing the "right" chip. If you see the list of ownerships of all 4G LTE patents, only about 30% of the patents come from the US and Canadian companies. 


     


    source: http://www.i-runway.com/iRunway_4G_LTE_Patent_Analysis.html


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) Apple bought Nortel patents for the 4G LTE.

    2) Your foolish claim ignores Qualcomm, a company that probably holds the most and certainly the best 4G LTE tech patents and makes their money by selling components to vendors who them in their devices. Why exactly will Qualcomm stop selling to Apple especially after their relationship goes back a very long time and Qualcomm has been making specific chip models just for Apple?

  • Reply 270 of 407
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mcrs wrote: »
    You make it way too easy. 

    The now bankrupt Nortel's 4G LTE patent portfolio amounts to a measly 150 patents which is now own by Apple-Microsoft-Sony-RIM consortium, representing about a tiny 1.8% of seminal 4G LTE patent portfolio. As I have said in my earlier posts with regard to 4G LTE patents, Android partners own about 30+% of 4G LTE portfolio. Qualcomm has about 700+ or so 4G LTE patents. Meanwhile, the "copycat and "not innovative" Samsung has almost 1200 patents in 4G LTE. Apple will definitely use Qualcomm chips because there is no other way to defend itself when the 4G LTE patent war starts at some point the future. That is Apple approach at this point, "to duck and cover." Unless, of course, Apple suddenly bought Nokia, but even this will not help much of its pickled situation. It sort of explains Apple idiotic moves in both Australian and Europe where they sold Ipad3 with wrong 4G LTE chip there? They will be eaten alive by oversea's 4G LTE patent holders. If you see the list of ownerships of all 4G LTE patents, only about 30% of the patents come from the US and Canadian companies. 

    source: http://www.i-runway.com/iRunway_4G_LTE_Patent_Analysis.html

    1) You say they are going to " duck and cover" and yet they've already released the iPad with 4G LTE and are likely to do so with this year's iPhone. Not exactly ducking nor covering.

    2) You're going with Apple didn't know what what 4G LTE was when they released the iPad (3) in Australia? They used the "wrong chip"? Perhaps you should educate yourself on the technology because the 4G LTE baseband processor in the iPad (3) works perfectly fine in Australia. What the iPad (3) doesn't have is the operating band for 4G LTE in Australia and most other countries. It has 3 which appear to be the limit of that baseband.

    3) What the frak does being US or Canada-owned have to do with Apple being able to use license tech in a global economy. Guess where ARM is located?
  • Reply 271 of 407
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member


    FWIW.

  • Reply 272 of 407
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member


    It points to the momentum shift from North America to elsewhere in patents that matters to people, i.e. HDTV, 4G LTE, etc... So people overseas don't patent rectangles because they've been living with rectangles since eons ago. The two ancient civilizations in the world , the Korean and Chinese civilizations, have enjoyed living with rectangular, circular and triangular objects since thousands of years before Christ was even born. In addition, people all over love to use rectangular objects with sharp edges because they enjoy to hurt their arms, bodies and legs when they use them. After all, in all of us, apparently, deep inside all of us, we have that hidden masochistic side awaiting to be discovered.


     


    And, to make you happier, I will fix my original statement:


    It sort of explains Apple idiotic moves in both Australian and Europe where they sold Ipad3 with wrong 4G LTE band there?


    And, of course, ala fanboism, you BELIEVE Apple's explanation of what's going on. 


     


    In any case, Apple is still behaving rather idiotic. Apple is selling IPAD3 without studying its market? Hmmm,. It feels very un-Apple like. But wait, what if Apple can get away with it. It can rely on fanboism. Fanbois are like those people with "hidden masochistic" tendencies. They will either let it slide or start blaming themselves for living in the wrong countries. But, Apple offer refunds for those who are not happy with their Ipad3 in those countries, but not before being threatened with class lawsuits. It is like that "never happened" DEATH GRIP issue. The funny thing is Apple offered 12 bucks for every Iphone owners with this specific issue, but, again, only after it was settled out of court in late February 2012.


     


    The late SJ famously commented on this incident: "Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases." I wonder if Apple has already been granted a patent by USPTO for "THE CORRECT GRIP" complete with its schematics. As far as I know, there is no "prior art" for this idiocy.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    3) What the frak does being US or Canada-owned have to do with Apple being able to use license tech in a global economy. Guess where ARM is located?

  • Reply 273 of 407
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


     


    Why the **** are you here if you don't think Apple as a company deserves a shred of credit and don't like any of their products? I'm serious. Why? Why waste your time on an Apple fan site?



    The man likes to cry about things. Let's comfort him.

  • Reply 274 of 407

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mcrs View Post


    It points to the momentum shift from North America to elsewhere in patents that matters to people, i.e. HDTV, 4G LTE, etc... So people overseas don't patent rectangles because they've been living with rectangles since eons ago. The two ancient civilizations in the world , the Korean and Chinese civilizations, have enjoyed living with rectangular, circular and triangular objects since thousands of years before Christ was even born. In addition, people all over love to use rectangular objects with sharp edges because they enjoy to hurt their arms, bodies and legs when they use them. After all, in all of us, apparently, deep inside all of us, we have that hidden masochistic side awaiting to be discovered.


     


    And, to make you happier, I will fix my original statement:


    It sort of explains Apple idiotic moves in both Australian and Europe where they sold Ipad3 with wrong 4G LTE band there?


    And, of course, ala fanboism, you BELIEVE Apple's explanation of what's going on. 


     


    In any case, Apple is still behaving rather idiotic. Apple is selling IPAD3 without studying its market? Hmmm,. It feels very un-Apple like. But wait, what if Apple can get away with it. It can rely on fanboism. Fanbois are like those people with "hidden masochistic" tendencies. They will either let it slide or start blaming themselves for living in the wrong countries. But, Apple offer refunds for those who are not happy with their Ipad3 in those countries, but not before being threatened with class lawsuits. It is like that "never happened" DEATH GRIP issue. The funny thing is Apple offered 12 bucks for every Iphone owners with this specific issue, but, again, only after it was settled out of court in late February 2012.


     


    The late SJ famously commented on this incident: "Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases." I wonder if Apple has already been granted a patent by USPTO for "THE CORRECT GRIP" complete with its schematics. As far as I know, there is no "prior art" for this idiocy.


     



    Wow someone needs a midol 

  • Reply 275 of 407
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    I don't know, perhaps you could ask one of the South Korean tourists in the Quinn Emanuel tour group.
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/08/samsungs-lawyers-breached-rules-again.html?m=1

    Oh, you are referring to the nationality of the judge, why couldn't you just say that to start with. She is American, she was born in the USA. I feel your concerns are with her parents, or grandparents.
  • Reply 276 of 407
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The judge is a woman.

    Thanks, doesn't fully clear up what they were going on about
  • Reply 277 of 407
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,294member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Even in this court case there was an issue with Samsung's lawyers knowing which device was which. That said, I'm not sure of the context; it might have been between different Samsung devices. Hopefully someone will put the following remarks into focus for me.

    "Samsung got its own phones confused when cross-examining Schiller, handing him the wrong one. Schiller comments, "Well, they're confusing"."



    Samsung's counsel was naming and then showing several phones to Schiller and asking if they resembled iPhones. After a couple of them had been presented he named another but showed Schiller a different Samsung device than the one he had named. So different Samsung phones. It was funny tho put in context.

  • Reply 278 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mcrs View Post


    You make it way too easy. 


     


    The now bankrupt Nortel's 4G LTE patent portfolio amounts to a measly 150 patents which is now own by Apple-Microsoft-Sony-RIM consortium, representing about a tiny 1.8% of seminal 4G LTE patent portfolio. As I have said in my earlier posts with regard to 4G LTE patents, Android partners own about 30+% of 4G LTE portfolio. Qualcomm has about 700+ or so 4G LTE patents. Meanwhile, the "copycat and "not innovative" Samsung has almost 1200 patents in 4G LTE. Apple will definitely use Qualcomm chips because there is no other way to defend itself when the 4G LTE patent war starts at some point the future. That is Apple approach at this point, "to duck and cover." Unless, of course, Apple suddenly bought Nokia, but even this will not help much of its pickled situation. It sort of explains Apple idiotic moves in both Australian and Europe where they sold Ipad3 with wrong 4G LTE chip there? They will be eaten alive by oversea's 4G LTE patent holders if it makes a "wrong move", which literally means installing the "right" chip. If you see the list of ownerships of all 4G LTE patents, only about 30% of the patents come from the US and Canadian companies. 


     


    source: http://www.i-runway.com/iRunway_4G_LTE_Patent_Analysis.html



     


    To quote Google's patent trolling surrogate "It only takes one bullet to kill."

  • Reply 279 of 407
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,294member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    To quote Google's patent trolling surrogate "It only takes one bullet to kill."



    I thought it was your opinion that practicing companies like Apple, Moto, Sony, etc couldn't be considered trolls? Am I mistaken?

  • Reply 280 of 407
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    I thought it was your opinion that practicing companies like Apple, Moto, Sony, etc couldn't be considered trolls? Am I mistaken?



     


    My opinion is that Google have become a bunch of sleaze bags since figuring out that they can make money out of selling information about people attracted to their honeypots to advertisers.


     


    I actively promoted them when they came out of Stanford in the mid nineties, unfortunately they became corrupted by greed.


     


    Google's abuse of standards essential patents using Motorola is the lowest form of patent trolling.

Sign In or Register to comment.