Apple reportedly in talks to buy Pinterest competitor The Fancy

Comments

• Reply 43 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Fancy, shmancy... I wonder what they are smoking? Didn't Ping tell them we need no Social crap?

Not true. The world is going social. Apple would be morons to ignore this.

What Ping showed them was that it wasnt the right way to do it. They will possibly drop the Ping method and come up with something else.

I actually don't think that Ping is all that bad. I like the idea of being able to follow bands I like, get alerts about shows, new albums etc. I even liked the idea of being able to follow other users who iI found had similar tastes. What I didn't like and felt was a major fail was that they never opened it up to smaller bands and artists and it seems like they never integrated Genius into it. I used LaLa.com a lot before it was shut down and had hoped they would merge the discovery features basically as they were into the store. Especially the one time full play and the instant mix feature where you sample the folks on a 'if you like, try' list.

But I will agree that as Apple's social network it is a fail. Ping should be just one feature of something bigger. One suggestion I have seen is to leverage iCloud into things. When you use iPhoto and make a journal there's the ability to make a home page for all your public journals. Why not make that a real sort of home page. Allow folks to 'widget' in their journals, their public streams (sort of like the old Galleries), post their iTunes reviews, Ping entries. Even connect their twitter/Facebook/tumblr feeds if they wish. It could be a kind of launch page to all sorts of things.

Something like that is certainly an improvement over Ping being their only effort.
  • Reply 44 of 69

Tim Cook at D10: "Apple doesn't have to own a social network. But does Apple have to be social? Yes."

Buying Fancy would be ownership, no?

• Reply 45 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Not true. The world is going social. Apple would be morons to ignore this.

False dichotomy. You're implying that Apple has to either ignore social media or buy one. There are other options.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

If Apple buys this will they artificially limit its ability to run on only the most current version of their hardware? Cough....cough....Siri...

• Reply 47 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If this is true, there has to be a reason for it.

Imagine if it were as easy to buy Apple hardware as it is to buy an app on the App Store? A bunch of (pre)configured models (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.) in a "hardware" category. Accessible right there in the App Store on your iPhone or iPad. Just hit "Buy" and you're done. 

I know that if I had to choose between visiting the Apple website and clicking through a bunch of options and other things, and just hitting "Buy" in the App Store, I'd much rather do the latter. 

There already is. Heard of the Apple Store App? It's pretty damn easy and quick to buy anything from an iPhone that way. And I disagree with you that it needs to be AS fast and AS easy to spend thousands of dollars on a hardware purchase as it is for a $0.99 app. Unless you're buying hardware multiple times a day from your iPhone, I really don't see this as a problem. 

• Reply 48 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Tim Cook at D10: "Apple doesn't have to own a social network. But does Apple have to be social? Yes."

I can't see Apple buying this site. A really bad fit in my opinion.

If Apple just made 'Social' easy on their hardware they could stay in Social but stay impartial.

I think it would look similar to when you set up an email on the iPhone. You have all these choice of Exchange, GMail, Yahoo, etc.

If you wanted to get hooks into social their would be a menu of Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. you could set them up and integrate them with your photos, share options, etc and Apple doesn't have to buy any of them.

• Reply 49 of 69
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

AuthenTec and The Fancy are obviously Apple's attempt to make the digital wallet a reality.  They already partially do this with buying airline tickets etc.  If all I needed was an iPhone to make purchases and get about then I would gladly dump my wallet.  The only thing left to virtualize would then be a driver's license.  Eventually the driver's license will have to change too as cars will drive themselves.  It will no longer be a person driving rather the car so identification will have to change.

• Reply 50 of 69
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There already is. Heard of the Apple Store App? It's pretty damn easy and quick to buy anything from an iPhone that way. And I disagree with you that it needs to be AS fast and AS easy to spend thousands of dollars on a hardware purchase as it is for a $0.99 app. Unless you're buying hardware multiple times a day from your iPhone, I really don't see this as a problem. 

Alright, egg on my face, there *is* an Apple Store app. I completely forgot about it, though I think I probably noticed it all of one time, months and months ago. 

• Reply 51 of 69

Quote:

Even if they do, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it as that. 

• Reply 52 of 69

I think buying Fancy is a great idea. It's a really fun site with a lot of unique products. It's a niche thing right now, but I think it has a lot of potential. The best part is that the products displayed are determined by the users, which makes it very flexible. And for the doubting thomas's out there, don't worry.. I'm sure when Apple implements it they will include a 'Curmudgeony Old Folks' store/section where there will be myriad signs that say "Get off my Lawn!" ;)

Also, I think buying Yelp would be a GREAT idea (for a lot of different reasons).

• Reply 53 of 69
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't see Apple buying this site. A really bad fit in my opinion.

If Apple just made 'Social' easy on their hardware they could stay in Social but stay impartial.

I think it would look similar to when you set up an email on the iPhone. You have all these choice of Exchange, GMail, Yahoo, etc.

If you wanted to get hooks into social their would be a menu of Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. you could set them up and integrate them with your photos, share options, etc and Apple doesn't have to buy any of them.

Agree.

Furthermore, Apple is in a position where social sites want to be on iPhones (not to mention Macs). So there seems no need to favor one social company over any other. Let them, help them build great mobile apps and make the experience the best on iPhones. That seems to be the better strategy, IMO. If buying Fancy drives Pinterest to favor Android, that would not be a desirable outcome.

• Reply 54 of 69

Quote:

Even if they do, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it as that. 

What would they use it for? *General* e-commerce?  There are better acquisition targets with greater footprints than Fancy.

• Reply 55 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

AuthenTec and The Fancy are obviously Apple's attempt to make the digital wallet a reality.  They already partially do this with buying airline tickets etc.  If all I needed was an iPhone to make purchases and get about then I would gladly dump my wallet.  The only thing left to virtualize would then be a driver's license.  Eventually the driver's license will have to change too as cars will drive themselves.  It will no longer be a person driving rather the car so identification will have to change.

AuthenTec yes. Fancy? Not the most intuitive first or second step is setting up digital wallet.

• Reply 56 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How about Apple work on some new iMacs and MacPros instead of fussing win Social Media sites/apps.
  • Reply 57 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How about Apple work on some new iMacs and MacPros instead of fussing win Social Media sites/apps.

How do you know they're not?

I'm pretty sure the particulars of this rumoured acquisition aren't taking up all their running processes.    ;)

• Reply 58 of 69

Quote:

What would they use it for? *General* e-commerce?  There are better acquisition targets with greater footprints than Fancy.

I don't know the exact reasoning. I'm not Tim Cook. 

Better call Apple and tell them they've got it all wrong. 

• Reply 59 of 69

Quote:

I don't know the exact reasoning. I'm not Tim Cook. 

Better call Apple and tell them they've got it all wrong. 

My point is not that it is not Apple that has it wrong, but those who are touting this speculative acquisition.

• Reply 60 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would we assume that are not doing just that?

What would we assume they can't walk and chew gum?