Internal Samsung memo shows iPhone caused 'crisis of design'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    You have to admit Samsung had the eye to tell what is good. Other companies were so blind they could not see the lights when it was directly shone into their eyes. I was working at Rim at the time and the idiots were nitpicking tiny problems. It was like heaven and earth, or day and night. See Samsung shamelessly chased the leader and others just walked into oblivion.
  • Reply 62 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

I admit that I side with Apple when it comes to complaints about similar UIs, packaging, and timing, but I think the "You can't make a rectangular phone! Only we can make a rectangular phone!" argument is bullcrap.

How is it that intelligent people (I presume all people have intelligence) are being suckered into this whole rectangle argument. Apple hasn't argued that none of it's competitors can use rectangles. This defence offered by Samsung is textbook use of reductio ad absurdum. They've taken Apple's argument, drawn the most extreme and unreasonable interpretation and mocked it. At the end of the day, looking at the homepage of both iOS and the android UI, you can't deny a striking resemblance and the bottom line is that Apple owns patents for this design. 

When you break down any design it will result in circles, rectangles and squares. As a first year design student I learnt that and I'm so disappointed that Samsung would resort tot this argument.

• Reply 63 of 117

Is this a rip-off ?

related to this discussion i'm confused a bit, seems that someone stole my design of a mascot, designed in 2001. I have no certain evidence, proving my authorship but my grandma can witness, that i designed it.  Can DaHarder or someone else help me in case of any trouble with big players, complaining about this design?

• Reply 64 of 117
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

It is easy, but takes time, it took Apple almost a decade. No?

Some lazy Chinese car companies are doing the same, copying European and USA cars with NO shame.

They know that in the West most people GO crazy for anything cheap.

Ever read about counterfeit Lexus cars? They're the equivalent Toyota with some pieces swapped from written-off damaged Lexus models, or in some cases, just people who bought the Toyota model and some Lexus badging. Then they neglect to tell who they sell it to that's its not a real Toyota.

With Apple, and the knock-off products, you have look-alikes with different branding (eg Samsung) and then there are iClone type of devices. Back in 2007, when the iPhone was released, all the Chinese knockoff factories started churning out counterfeit Nokia N95's and iPhones. At the time, the iPhone was inferior hardware but good software. It wasn't until the 3GS that the iPhone was feature parity with phones available by other manufacturers. 

In fact I'll just summarize this link: http://www.cellmad.com/celebrity-fake-list-top-10-iphone-clones/ , Note this article is 2008

1. Samsung Instinct

2. Sony Xperia

3. Deeda Pi

4. LG Voyager

5. LG Vu

6. Cect P168 (This is the device that looks identical to the iPhone with the weird touch-strip and was sold frequently on eBay as ""iPhone replica")

7. HiPhone (This is the other device that would frequently be sold on eBay as "HiPhone" to keyword spam people looking for iPhone)

8. Meizu M8 Mini one

9. HTC Touch Dual

10. Desay N8

From what you can gleam off Youtube, the counterfeits are not even useable devices (#6,#7) they're just meant to rip off people wanting to buy an iPhone. 

And yet Samsung doesn't seem to realize that it's products are clearly confusing to customers. 

http://pinterest.com/pin/266908715385909865/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hYCVRbyjE8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bb.iphone&hl=en

All three of these links call out the Samsung Galaxy.

• Reply 65 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Don't mess with this. This is the greatest comment I've read here in a long time.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I have to admit, I read that line with Christopher Plummer's voice in my head! 

• Reply 66 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Would be better if the Samsung execs didn't speak English.

I think it would sound better in the original Klingon.

Ok, I'm taking this movie-nerd hat off!

• Reply 67 of 117
    Remember Samsung had the first iphone blocked in Korea for well over 2 years so they can catch up to Apple.  When the iphone finally got approved by their FCC, Samsung punished  the carrier that carried the iphone.

Superb point.
  • Reply 68 of 117
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

It's truly baffling that this companies don't try copying the most important thing about Apple, especially when it's completely LEGAL! Copy Apple's actual goals! They spell them out constantly: make the best possible product for your target customer. That's actually what Apple does and it's not freaking magic!

Totally agree but the simple truth is they simply don't have the talent or originality to be able to pull that off. Samsung excel only at two things—(attempts at) copying true innovators and then aggressively marketing those attempted copies to the world.

• Reply 69 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    xggrand wrote: »
    I think it would sound better in the original Klingon.

Ok, I'm taking this movie-nerd hat off!

That quote was from Thirteen Days, no Klingons just Russians.

Skip to 3:10. It's pretty hard to out movie nerd me lol.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    68 posts, and not one defending Samsung. Must be a record on this forum - where are the usual suspects? I'd give it a go myself just for the hell of it, but Samsung's legal team appear to be sitting on the self-destruct button. The Apple team must think Christmas has come early.

[QUOTE name="dasanman69" url="/t/151763/internal-samsung-memo-shows-iphone-caused-crisis-of-design#post_2163082"]
    I think there's just a little less at stake than the Cuban Missle Crisis.[/QUOTE]

But this is thermonuclear war, isn't it?
  • Reply 71 of 117

• Reply 72 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Yeah, +1. Come on, Apple, innovate don't litigate!

Actually I'd say that Apple does innovate, and SHOULD litigate when bottom-feeders like Samdung try to rip them off!

• Reply 73 of 117
    muppetry wrote: »
    68 posts, and not one defending Samsung. Must be a record on this forum - where are the usual suspects? I'd give it a go myself just for the hell of it, but Samsung's legal team appear to be sitting on the self-destruct button. The Apple team must think Christmas has come early.

Well I'll defend Samsung in saying that I believe that the SGS 2 in question was 1. Not available in the US and 2. A variant of the F700. But I definitely think they modeled Touch Wiz to almost exactly like iOS plus they totally changed their packaging and accessories to look exactly like Apple's.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    In case anyone's interested, here is the full memo. It doesn't look good for Samsung:

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/iphone-caused-crisis-of-design-at-samsung-memo/

Interestingly, they did get some things right in the meeting, but were apparently unable to act on them. For example:

"Right now we’re expecting to do around 350 models in just the first half of this year. If you ask the companies, the Operators we deal with, whether they like that we launch one model right after the another, [the answer is] absolutely not. Quantity isn’t what’s important, what’s important is putting on the market models with a high level of perfection, one to two Excellent ones." That's one of Apple's keys to success that they could easily have copied, but chose not to.
  • Reply 75 of 117

Even the normal Samsung shills are having a hard time defending Samsung now. And (as shown above), the Samsung attorneys CONTINUE to violate the court's orders. It's almost as if they WANT to lose.

misa wrote: »
    Ever read about counterfeit Lexus cars? They're the equivalent Toyota with some pieces swapped from written-off damaged Lexus models, or in some cases, just people who bought the Toyota model and some Lexus badging. Then they neglect to tell who they sell it to that's its not a real Toyota.

With Apple, and the knock-off products, you have look-alikes with different branding (eg Samsung) and then there are iClone type of devices. Back in 2007, when the iPhone was released, all the Chinese knockoff factories started churning out counterfeit Nokia N95's and iPhones. At the time, the iPhone was inferior hardware but good software. It wasn't until the 3GS that the iPhone was feature parity with phones available by other manufacturers. 

In fact I'll just summarize this link: http://www.cellmad.com/celebrity-fake-list-top-10-iphone-clones/ , Note this article is 2008
    1. Samsung Instinct
    2. Sony Xperia
    3. Deeda Pi
    4. LG Voyager
    5. LG Vu
    6. Cect P168 (This is the device that looks identical to the iPhone with the weird touch-strip and was sold frequently on eBay as ""iPhone [SIZE=8px]replica[/SIZE]")
    7. HiPhone (This is the other device that would frequently be sold on eBay as "HiPhone" to keyword spam people looking for iPhone)
    8. Meizu M8 Mini one
    9. HTC Touch Dual
    10. Desay N8

From what you can gleam off Youtube, the counterfeits are not even useable devices (#6,#7) they're just meant to rip off people wanting to buy an iPhone. 

And yet Samsung doesn't seem to realize that it's products are clearly confusing to customers. 
    http://pinterest.com/pin/266908715385909865/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hYCVRbyjE8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bb.iphone&hl=en
    All three of these links call out the Samsung Galaxy.

In all fairness, many of those don't look that much like the iPhone. Of course, other than the obvious counterfeit (the HiPhone), the Samsung is the closest copy - which may explain why Samsung is the one in court today.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Well I'll defend Samsung in saying that I believe that the SGS 2 in question was 1. Not available in the US and 2. A variant of the F700. But I definitely think they modeled Touch Wiz to almost exactly like iOS plus they totally changed their packaging and accessories to look exactly like Apple's.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong SGSII, but it looks just like an iPhone, nothing like an F700, and according to WP it was released in the US. What am I missing?
  • Reply 77 of 117
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Would be better if the Samsung execs didn't speak English.

That quote was from Thirteen Days, no Klingons just Russians.

Skip to 3:10. It's pretty hard to out movie nerd me lol.

It works either way...
  • Reply 78 of 117
    I
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong SGSII, but it looks just like an iPhone, nothing like an F700, and according to WP it was released in the US. What am I missing?

No there were 3 American variants of the SGS 2. The one they keep showing was never sold in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II#American_variants
  • Reply 79 of 117
    I

No there were 3 American variants of the SGS 2. The one they keep showing was never sold in the US.

OK - got it - thanks. They still all look like iPhones, and not much like the F700 IMO.
  • Reply 80 of 117
    I

*cough* fragmentation *cough*

Oh, wait. The Samsung and Google fans insist that fragmentation doesn't exist.