Sprint drops iPhone 4S price to $149 ahead of rumored next-gen iPhone release

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
U.S. wireless carrier Sprint has cut the price of Apple's current iPhone 4S to $149 and is waiving activation fees for the handset ahead of a rumored Apple special event that may see the launch of a next-generation iPhone.

As reported by All Things D, the new $149 price tag showed up on Sprint's website over the weekend and represents a $50 savings not including the $36 activation fee waiver.

The new pricing comes ahead of a rumored special event Apple is said to be planning for Sept. 12, where many expect the company to launch the sixth-generation iPhone and possibly a smaller 7-inch iPad.

Sprint Price Cut
Source: Sprint

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

So basically people can wait a month or so and get the same thing for $99, or the next new thing for $199.

Basically only the very uninformed ones would pay $149 today for it. Still plenty of them, but most would wait.

• Reply 2 of 16
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

So actually an $86 savings. But really not that great of a deal considering it will drop to $99 when the iPhone 5 comes out, and it is only 3G as opposed to LTE not to mention the smaller screen. They should have their entire 3G network covered with LTE by the end of 2013 and around 120+ million by the end of this year so even if you live in a small town that will be dead last to get LTE you would still have an entire year with 3G only on your contract. 

I think people like me trying to sell their 4 & 4S   iPhone's are going to have a much harder time of it than in the past thanks to LTE. Anyone wanting the latest Sprint LTE news and maps should check out this site run by just a user. Great source of info and maps. Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

• Reply 3 of 16

Sprint should have done this at launch...not that I would ever use their service.

• Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

So basically people can wait a month or so and get the same thing for $99, or the next new thing for $199.

Basically only the very uninformed ones would pay $149 today for it. Still plenty of them, but most would wait.

Sprint has to move phones... they bet the farm to sell 8Million Phones a year.  I'm sure their channel management says they need to sell what's on the shelf now and not eat the difference when the price shifts.

Uninformed, or unable to wait... there are large percentage of phones lost, stolen, broken.  And there is the 'hand me down' factor that occurs when child about to go off to school.  

• Reply 5 of 16
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    gwmac wrote: »
    So actually an $86 savings. But really not that great of a deal considering it will drop to $99 when the iPhone 5 comes out, and it is only 3G as opposed to LTE not to mention the smaller screen. They should have their entire 3G network covered with LTE by the end of 2013 and around 120+ million by the end of this year so even if you live in a small town that will be dead last to get LTE you would still have an entire year with 3G only on your contract. 

I think people like me trying to sell their 4 & 4S   iPhone's are going to have a much harder time of it than in the past thanks to LTE. Anyone wanting the latest Sprint LTE news and maps should check out this site run by just a user. Great source of info and maps. Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

If Apple continues to do what they've done the following years, then the $99 iPhone would be an 8GB. So the deal Sprint is offering is really good for the 16GB model.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

If Apple continues to do what they've done the following years, then the $99 iPhone would be an 8GB. So the deal Sprint is offering is really good for the 16GB model.

I didn't realize the $99 deal for previous year models dropped it from 16GB to 8GB. 

• Reply 7 of 16
    They usually charge you extra to activate your phone?! Seriously?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

They usually charge you extra to activate your phone?! Seriously?

All carriers do that. It's $30, I think.

• Reply 9 of 16
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Na, it's $36 to activate but there waiving it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Was always $18 until they doubled it last year.
    AT&T anyway. Crying about how much there loosing
    On the subsidies.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Although they would have paid $199 yesterday. Or they'd pay $199 for the same phone from different carriers.

Not to mention that you don't know whether Apple will do the same thing this time around - or whether they'll be offering only an 8 GB phone for $99. And even then, it may not be for 2 months - or even more.

So why are you so quick to criticize people?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    All carriers do that. It's $30, I think.

All the majors do it. The PAYG ones do not.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Meanwhile ATT allegedly promotes the Galaxy III as the better phone regardless of the new lower iPhone 4s price.

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Meanwhile ATT allegedly promotes the Galaxy III as the better phone regardless of the new lower iPhone 4s price.

Because it is..? Galaxy S3 just came out, iPhone 4s has been out for a year. Feature by feature the Galaxy S3 is far superior to the iPhone 4s. Don't know about the iPhone 5 though.

Also it cost ATT $100 extra when people get the iPhone on a contract, so they'd be stupid to promote it.

• Reply 15 of 16
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

U.S. wireless carrier Sprint has cut the price of Apple's current iPhone 4S to $149 and is waiving activation fees for the handset ahead of a rumored Apple special event that may see the launch of a next-generation iPhone

and? Just a WAG why they are discounting prices at this specific time.

Might as well write,

"204 countries gather in London for a massive sporting event ahead of a rumored Apple special event that may see the launch of a next-generation iPhone"

or

"tomorrow the sun is expected to rise (again) ahead of a rumored Apple special event that may see the launch of a next-generation iPhone"

"Samsung will make more stupid statements in court ahead of a rumored Apple special event that may see the launch of a next-generation iPhone" 

• Reply 16 of 16
    What is it with these dumb ass advertising headlines?

It is still rent to buy so I'm not going along with these con like headlines.