Apple's 'Wi-Fi Plus Cellular' option in iOS 6 to keep apps syncing when WiFi networks choke

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

This could be very awesome IF IMPLEMENTED WELL.

Sadly Apple tends to hork things up sometimes. For example, there's NO WAY to enable auto-login on a WEP/WPA protected Wifi network. This means every time I get to work I have to open stupid Safari and sign in.

If they implement this feature well, I'd be able to still get iMessages and such at work when I don't log in.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

That isn't WEP/WPA.  It is called a captive portal.  Since there is no standard for this, it is difficult for Apple to do anything.  It would be nice if they can get autofill working on captive portals, but it may not work all the time.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 42 of 45
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member

Doesn't it already do this?  Like if I'm using Pandora and the Wifi drops out it will switch to the WAN.  But the problem is the prioritization and speed at which it switches.  If the application is humming along on Wifi and the Wifi network becomes unreliable it will still try desperately to use the bad Wifi connection over an often better WAN connection.  Often the Wifi network is there but none functional, the software just loves Wifi a bit too much.

So it should be more willing to switch to the WAN network when necessary and quicker at doing so.  I'm not sure why this is resulting in major changes to the settings.

Could someone explain this a little better.

• Reply 43 of 45
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Nice. Along with LTE it will be a nice upgrade for "the new iPhone". However as to the hardware design, I'm still holding my breath.
  • Reply 44 of 45

When trying to enable FaceTime on iOS 6 beta 4, it now reads ” FaceTime requires an active Wi-Fi connection or an eligible cellular data plan. To enable, FaceTime over cellular on this account, contact AT&T. I have a grandfather unlimited data plan so it looks like only unlimited will be limited!

• Reply 45 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessmaster3000 View Post

This sounds great, except the article makes it seem like the cellular will kick in only for SYNCING purposes--what about normal browsing or every-day data usage? That's what everyone on here wants.

That is why there is an off and on switch. It won't kick in, but rather it has to be activated.  It goes for everything data related (from what I understand.) then if you don't really need it, you can turn it off so your device won't accidentally use your precious payper use data. ;)

Cool feature. I agree this would be awesome on unlimited plans... but if you have unlimited, why would you ever need wifi?